• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What should I give my small test tube colony so they can have sugar?

nutrition sugar test tube colony

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntTitan - Posted May 3 2021 - 11:14 AM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

Hey guys, I have a small Crematogaster colony with my queen, 3 workers, and tons of brood in a test tube setup. I am having a bit of a problem though when it comes to giving them nutrition, I know when it comes to keeping ants their are the three things they need for nutrition, Protein, carbohydrates (usually sugar) and water, but lately I've been having trouble giving them the carbohydrates part. For a long time I was giving them a cut up meal-worm and a drop of honey on aluminum foil that I would put in their test tube. However I've had several workers of this colony die in the past because they drowned in the honey, no matter how small the droplet. Now I have replaced the honey droplet with a small sugar-water soaked cotton ball, the problem now is that after a few days the cotton ball dries out and becomes sticky which and I don't know if the colony can get the sugar they need from the dried up cotton ball.

If you guys know any other way I could get them sugar (or other carbohydrates) that would be GREATLY appreciated, Also if you guys could let me know if they can get the sugar from the dried up cotton ball that would also be greatly appreciated.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 3 2021 - 11:39 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Instead of a drop of honey you could try to spread it out on the aluminum.

#3 Offline steelplant - Posted May 3 2021 - 11:58 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
You're doing the right thing with sugar water in a tiny cotton ball. It just needs replacing after a few days. I also second kaelwizard's suggestion.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2021 - 3:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You should put the tube opened up in a small outworld with a liquid feeder, preferably byFormica. I give my Crematogaster outworlds as soon as they have any workers at all.
  • Chickalo likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2021 - 12:07 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I also usually just use sugar water and I put it on alumium foil, I just don't leave it in the outworld or wherever I put it too long.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, May 4 2021 - 12:09 PM.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#6 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 4 2021 - 12:11 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I second what ANTdrew said, you can use small liquid feeders and place them into the outworld (which you should also have, but small and bare to make cleanup easier).  Fill it up with sugar water, providing a safer way to give your ants sugar without them drowning.

Edited by Chickalo, May 4 2021 - 12:11 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2021 - 12:16 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I guess that is better than just putting it on plain aluminium foil.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, May 4 2021 - 12:17 PM.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#8 Offline steelplant - Posted May 4 2021 - 11:48 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Can the ants flood the sand with a byformica liquid feeder? One of my umbratus colonies always wicks the sugar water so it floods the sand and turns into a sticky mouldering mess. My sugar feeders aren't byformica.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 5 2021 - 3:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Unfortunately, they can. That usually means it is too close to their nest, though.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline steelplant - Posted May 5 2021 - 1:59 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks antdrew. I'll try rejigging the layout.

#11 Offline steelplant - Posted May 16 2021 - 1:24 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Antdrew, just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion to move the sugar water further away from the nest entrance. Since i moved it there's been no problem at all. They aren't even putting any sand on it at all. Much happier ants thanks!

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 16 2021 - 5:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Antdrew, just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion to move the sugar water further away from the nest entrance. Since i moved it there's been no problem at all. They aren't even putting any sand on it at all. Much happier ants thanks!

Excellent!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nutrition, sugar, test tube colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users