• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Evolution of the Trap-Jaw in Strumigenys (Booher et al., 2021)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 30 2021 - 5:42 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Here's a really interesting paper by my friend, Douglas Booher, who I like to refer to as the master of Strumigenys. It includes a really awesome little animation on the evolution and diversity of the trap-jaw mechanism, which has apparently evolved independently 7-10 different times in the genus. It's a really good read, and I highly recommend you look through it if you have any interest in these fascinating ants. Also as a heads up, him and I have a paper coming out soon that I did the illustrations for, so keep your eyes open for that!

• gcsnelling, Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Chickalo - Posted April 30 2021 - 6:08 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

It's amazing how two different animals (both under the family formicidae though) evolved with the same function.  This is also seen with bats, insects, and birds, even more different, but all evolved with some sort of wings.

シグナチャーです。예.

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 30 2021 - 6:33 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

It's amazing how two different animals (both under the family formicidae though) evolved with the same function.  This is also seen with bats, insects, and birds, even more different, but all evolved with some sort of wings.

Actually the trap-jaw has evolved 7-10 times in the genus Strumigenys alone! The trap-jaw mechanism has evolved independently in other genera too, such as Odontomachus, Myrmoteras, Daceton, Mystrium, among others. Compared to that, flight has evolved 4 times, first in insects, then pterosaurs, followed by birds (very closely related to the pterosaurs) and bats.

• Chickalo likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 1 2021 - 8:24 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wonder how many times it's evolved in dacetini.

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 3 2021 - 4:00 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Wonder how many times it's evolved in dacetini.

All I know is that it's probably at least 12-15.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users