• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DaAnt - Posted July 16 2021 - 7:01 AM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I have a P. Californicus queen in a test tube set up. She has a clump of eggs with her. The test tube is riddled with yellow mold. I created a new test tube set up and connected her to it but after a day, she hasn’t moved. Should I wait longer? What do you suggest?

#2 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 16 2021 - 7:40 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

I am new to the hobby and I have never kept ants successfully (yet), I know I shouldn't give advices but I heard from a lot of sources (videos and forums) that if you expose the old tube with light and cover the new one, you can kinda force the queen to move to the new test tube,
I heard that some heat can help too but idk if its risky or not and how to do it so I will not say no more. I hope this kinda helped at least a little but again its better to wait for the other members that know what they are doing.
I hope all the best for your queen ant!! 

• TestSubjectOne and DaAnt like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 16 2021 - 7:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Briefly exposing the old tube to bright sunlight could get her moving. Using great caution not to bake her, though. Monitor throughout.
  • DaAnt likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline DaAnt - Posted July 16 2021 - 7:57 AM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Ok, thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users