• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis Imparis (Updated: 4-21-21)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 18 2021 - 6:35 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I just yesterday found this Nylanderia colony in one of the mountains of Tucson with 5 queens! According to some of my friends they say that they're Nylanderia. They have around 100 workers and the queens are gorgeous! Later today I'll be posting again with them in their nest! Please let me know if Nylanderia are interesting and why please! Thanks for reading this journal!

Edited by NicholasP, April 21 2021 - 12:02 PM.

• ANTdrew and mantisgal like this

#2 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 18 2021 - 9:14 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Sorry guys. I won't be able to post the Nylanderia in their ant nest tonight due to complications with the nest. But fear not I will have it ready most likely by tomorrow!

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 19 2021 - 2:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nylanderia are an incredibly rewarding genus to keep in my experience. They are easily one of my favorite ants to keep. They are fast growing, but colonies have a moderate limit in size. They are very energetic and active, can practice polygyny, and reach colony maturity pretty quickly. They are WAY under-rated in the ant-keeping community.
Hop on this thread to share your experiences:
https://www.formicul...k/?fromsearch=1
  • mantisgal likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 19 2021 - 9:31 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Thank you so much ANTdrew!

• ANTdrew likes this

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 19 2021 - 6:46 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Nylanderia are an incredibly rewarding genus to keep in my experience. They are easily one of my favorite ants to keep. They are fast growing, but colonies have a moderate limit in size. They are very energetic and active, can practice polygyny, and reach colony maturity pretty quickly. They are WAY under-rated in the ant-keeping community.
Hop on this thread to share your experiences:
https://www.formicul...k/?fromsearch=1

Hey ANTdrew could you please tell me about anything important I should know about nylanderia like if they need special things like if they're picky eaters?

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 19 2021 - 6:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

As someone who keeps them I will say they need high humidity, and a very tight fitting lid. If there is a way to escape, they WILL escape. They also do everything in their power to do so. At least in my experience. Other than that they are not very picky at all, and have eaten pretty much everything I have given them except for seeds.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 19 2021 - 6:50 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

because in your nylanderia post on your journal it said that they didn't take seeds? Do they take seeds?

#8 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 19 2021 - 6:52 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Oh ok. So they sometimes accept seeds?

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 19 2021 - 6:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I have never seen them eat any seeds. They usually completely ignore them.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 19 2021 - 7:03 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have never seen them eat any seeds. They usually completely ignore them.

Ok. Thank you very much!

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 20 2021 - 2:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, they totally ignore seeds. They’ll eat every other common protein source, though. They can be hard to contain, but THA nests made for tiny species will work, along with well ventilated fluon.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#12 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 20 2021 - 8:30 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So I wanted my nylanderia to move in before I took a pic of them but... They're living in the outworld instead of the actual nest! :facepalm: Any ideas of how I could get them to move into the nest? Should I try adding more humidity?

Edited by NicholasP, April 20 2021 - 8:31 AM.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 20 2021 - 9:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Make the nest darker, warmer, and more humid. If you blow on the ants every so often, they will move. Ants hate airflow in their nest.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#14 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 20 2021 - 9:52 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

ok. Thank you!

#15 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 21 2021 - 11:57 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Oh boy. I'm so sorry guys. The queens that I found are actually Prenolepis Imparis I just found out. I was confused because the queens colors were so wacky. But they're all moved in. Forgive me for the confusion. I'll later be changing the title of this journal but I'll leave some pictures of my colony!

Attached Images

• P1011932.JPG
  • P1011924.JPG

Edited by NicholasP, April 21 2021 - 11:58 AM.

• AnthonyP163 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#16 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 21 2021 - 12:05 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Well they are nice ants none the less.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#17 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 21 2021 - 12:13 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Well they are nice ants none the less.

Thanks! I think they are pretty but a very weird coloration they have.

#18 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 21 2021 - 12:30 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Yeah, they almost have a red tint to them.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#19 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 21 2021 - 12:31 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I'll feed them protein today because I want to see the queens lay eggs! I'm not going to have this 6 queen colony die on me!

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 21 2021 - 12:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Plot twist!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users