• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Solenopsis Aurea 4-29-21

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 29 2021 - 9:44 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Yesterday I went looking for Solenopsis Aurea that might've flown. None did fly. So I proceeded to flip the rock where the only Solenopsis Aurea in my area that I know of are located. The suspense was building as I was getting ready to flip the rock... I flipped it! And to my dismay they weren't there! I was so worried. But then I saw that there were some workers there and there were tunnels that led to a rock bigger then my head! Well I didn't have a choice since I really wanted Solenopsis Aurea so I flipped the rock... And hundreds started defending! To my dismay again there were no queens. But there were some alates not many though. Well, I knew that solenopsis Aurea could mate with males and females from the same colony so I aspirated up the 2 males I saw. And then that's when I saw that they were trailing with some brood into another hole! So I yanked out the other rock that they were trailing into... And Success! I found tons of queen pupae and male pupae! This was awesome news since this meant there was still around a month before they were going to fly. and then I started aspirating a few queen and male pupae and then out of the corner of my eye I see a queen! She was still winged but that was good enough for me! And then I tried putting the queen pupae that I decided to leave of the colony in a place where they could drag them back into the deeper parts of the nest. And as I'm doing that I saw a another female alate! I decided that was enough because if I am able to get the alates to mate then I'll be ok. So I put the rock back. So I'm thinking about calling the colony that I collected "The Golden Empire" since they're golden fire ants. If anyone knows of an idea of how I can get the alates to mate then please let me know so we can keep this journal going!

Attached Images

• Solenopsis Aurea.PNG

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users