• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Please recommend ants for project in CA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 11 2021 - 4:24 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I am going to be doing an experiment or project and I am going to be needing some ants for this. I require a small species and a large species with decent growth rates and can survive high humidity (daily to every other day misting) also are not terribly hard to care for. Thank you everyone!

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 11 2021 - 5:02 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Solenopsis xyloni seems good for the small species. They grow fast and can tolerate pretty much anything. As for the large species, camponotus or novomessor may work.
  • Chickalo likes this

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted April 11 2021 - 5:05 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

are you trying to get a California native ant to host in an ant plant?

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 11 2021 - 5:22 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

are you trying to get a California native ant to host in an ant plant?

Whike that would be a cool project that I would like to do I am not. All the details I can give currently are in the original post and I will show you guys when I start. 

Solenopsis xyloni seems good for the small species. They grow fast and can tolerate pretty much anything. As for the large species, camponotus or novomessor may work.

Thanks, what Camponotus species would be best. Or would N. cockerelli work just fine.

Edited by ZTYguy, April 11 2021 - 5:22 PM.

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 11 2021 - 5:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well N. cockerelli is a desert species, so I'm not sure that would be advisable. Not sure which Camponotus would be best, probably whatever nests in the dampest environment. I have seen modoc nest in some relatively damp conditions, but I am not sure if there are better ones out there.

• ZTYguy likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 11 2021 - 5:35 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Thanks I was thinking the same about N. cockerelli. I will do more research for the Camponotus.

Currently Keeping:

#7 Offline jasond1979 - Posted April 12 2021 - 5:43 PM

jasond1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara Calif

For a caomponotus Species I can attest that C. Fragilis are very hardy and grow very fast.

#8 Offline ReignofRage - Posted April 15 2021 - 10:43 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

If you are doing large/small as a comparative of the two species you could do solenopsis xyloni and a pheidole speceis. I don't think a Camponotus would work well since you want fast growth.

• ZTYguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users