• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTS_KL's Odontomachus journal!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 10 2021 - 4:14 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hi there! a couple weeks ago I got an Odontomachus queen from my neighbour. while I was busy flipping rocks and logs trying to find one, he just saw her on the roadside lmao!! Anyway, after I put her in a tubs and tubes setup she has laid eggs. I won't be posting pics tho cuz when I try to get some pictures she panics. So no pics till the nanitics come, sorry. Anyway I have discovered that she despises crickets lol. Its as if to her they were the spawn of the devil. She loves silverfish. Any tips on what i can feed her besides silverfish and mealworms?? I will update this journal every time her brood progresses a bit further so don't expect daily posts.

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#2 Offline Superant33 - Posted April 11 2021 - 8:15 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Soft bodied insects. Fruit flies and termites. Add spring tails. Smaller Odontomachus species prey on them.

#3 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 12 2021 - 11:10 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

i tried termites but she despises them.. same with fruit flies. and she usually ignores critters smaller than 3mm so i don't think springtails work either. but thanks for the tips!! :)

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 13 2021 - 8:28 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Termites are usually a favorite for all ants, so that’s pretty unusual.

#5 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 16 2021 - 5:16 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ikr. She only eats alates of microcerotermes. any other caste or sp of termite is ignored... And worst yet, microcerotermes are the rarest termites in my area so i guess ill stick with silverfish and mealworms. Anyway, currently there is nothing new with the odontomachus but i do have an Oecophylla queen. If she gets workers i will make a journal on her too

#6 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 5 2021 - 10:38 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
LARVA. I see 1 medium sized larva and boy it's growing fast. Pupa coming in a week or two I hope
  • Kaelwizard likes this

#7 Offline SYUTEO - Posted May 6 2021 - 1:32 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Larva to pupa takes about 8-12 days but may vary depending on how often you feed them, temperature and humidity.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#8 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 6 2021 - 3:14 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Larva to pupa takes about 8-12 days but may vary depending on how often you feed them, temperature and humidity.

I feed it quite a lot and today is day 4 with the larva so fingers crossed it can pupate. I can finally add photos so I'm adding pics in next post.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

#9 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 6 2021 - 3:21 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Pic of some eggs. I've circled them in blue in case you can't see. And another pic of the larva I've circled in red. Pics of the setup included
8bd935bad1acea3bfdae5ec167c832ed.jpge3a2716e572017abdf5f124a4f94dc1e.jpg

92e86ff73328268b923892c9353cbb16.jpg

Edited by ANTS_KL, May 6 2021 - 3:23 AM.

• Kaelwizard and SYUTEO like this

#10 Offline SYUTEO - Posted May 6 2021 - 4:40 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Pic of some eggs. I've circled them in blue in case you can't see. And another pic of the larva I've circled in red. Pics of the setup included
8bd935bad1acea3bfdae5ec167c832ed.jpge3a2716e572017abdf5f124a4f94dc1e.jpg

92e86ff73328268b923892c9353cbb16.jpg

Looking good! 

#11 Offline yibsi - Posted May 6 2021 - 4:52 AM

yibsi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Looks good! Excited to see where these gals go! Just make sure there are air holes in that setup and your good to go, make sure to feed them regularly also.

Edited by yibsi, May 6 2021 - 4:53 AM.

Nylanderia parvula - 4 queen polygynous colony with larvae + devoloping workers

Camponotus pennsylvanicus  - 1 queen with 2 cocoons, and a few larvae and eggs

Tetramorium immigrans - 3 colonies, first nanetics!

Formica pallidifulva - 1 queen, 8-10 eggs

Tetramorium atratulum - 1 queen with roughly 17 host workers

:D Pheidole pilifera - 1 queen! recently caught! :D

Solenopsis Molesta - 2 queens so far, polygenous set-up

---------------------------------------------------

My Ant Journal - yibsi’s Wonderful Ant Keeping Journal 5-22-21 - Ant Keeping Journals - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com)

My T. Atratulum Journal - https://www.formicul...ontinued/page-2

#12 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 6 2021 - 5:01 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Looks good! Excited to see where these gals go! Just make sure there are air holes in that setup and your good to go, make sure to feed them regularly also.

It looks like there is one small airhole covered in mesh but they should probably have more ventilation than that.

#13 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 6 2021 - 8:06 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

It looks like there is one small airhole covered in mesh but they should probably have more ventilation than that.
I don't close the lid fully so air just flows in.

#14 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 7 2021 - 11:44 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
News! Little baby girl grew bigger! No pics for now as I do not wanna disturb her too much untill the larva spins a cocoon.

#15 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 10 2021 - 8:56 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

News! Little baby girl grew bigger! No pics for now as I do not wanna disturb her too much untill the larva spins a cocoon.

Nothing new, but the larva seems bigger!

#16 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 13 2021 - 8:00 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
PUPAE!! I'm SO HAPPY! The lone larva has finally pupated! No pics tho as I don't want her to eat it. I have a question, how long do the pupa take to eclose?

#17 Offline SYUTEO - Posted May 14 2021 - 1:50 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

PUPAE!! I'm SO HAPPY! The lone larva has finally pupated! No pics tho as I don't want her to eat it. I have a question, how long do the pupa take to eclose?

On room temperature it takes about 14-16 days. But it may vary.

#18 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 14 2021 - 2:45 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Thx

#19 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 21 2021 - 6:20 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
*Sigh* nothing new... But there is a new batch of eggs! Hope the pupa hatches soon

#20 Offline SYUTEO - Posted May 21 2021 - 11:01 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Let's hope your nanitics arrive soon, and hope that the colony will be successful, my previous trap jaw colony had all their eggs eaten by springtails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users