• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kade's ant shop

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#101 Offline KadinB - Posted August 11 2021 - 4:44 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Edited by KadinB, September 18 2022 - 11:08 AM.

#102 Offline antsandmore - Posted August 11 2021 - 6:00 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Gonna be adding nylanderia vividula queen with first workers if she makes it to workers. Found a queen this morning when I got out of the car when I got home. 2nd queen I have ever found. I have seen alates like heck but only got 2 dealates. Gonna be adding camponotus vicinus queens with first workers soon for 15$ each. Will also be adding Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens/queen with workers in a month. Also 100th reply! Also thinking about adding refunds. I don't have refunds because I can't afford to lose a queen but with more colonys I need to get rid of and more sales I may be adding half or full refunds. Also soon I will kill most tetra queens and will only have 10 colonys for sale. I'm gonna be dumping them all into a container and just let them fight it out or something. Gonna make a video and I will post a link of it in my interests and will post one here in chat. Gonna be doing that within a few days. I can trade some off before I kill them off. Thank you all!

I think it might be better to release them instead of making them fight each other. they may be ants but it is still cruel to do something like that in my opinion.

• PetsNotPests likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#103 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted August 11 2021 - 6:05 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Gonna be adding nylanderia vividula queen with first workers if she makes it to workers. Found a queen this morning when I got out of the car when I got home. 2nd queen I have ever found. I have seen alates like heck but only got 2 dealates. Gonna be adding camponotus vicinus queens with first workers soon for 15$ each. Will also be adding Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens/queen with workers in a month. Also 100th reply! Also thinking about adding refunds. I don't have refunds because I can't afford to lose a queen but with more colonys I need to get rid of and more sales I may be adding half or full refunds. Also soon I will kill most tetra queens and will only have 10 colonys for sale. I'm gonna be dumping them all into a container and just let them fight it out or something. Gonna make a video and I will post a link of it in my interests and will post one here in chat. Gonna be doing that within a few days. I can trade some off before I kill them off. Thank you all!

I think it might be better to release them instead of making them fight each other. they may be ants but it is still cruel to do something like that in my opinion.

I agree with that, but there is still the fact that this species is seriously invasive to the US. Releasing them would only support their impact on the environment. Sadly, it is the right thing to do. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#104 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted August 11 2021 - 6:27 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

If minimizing cruelty is an issue, freezing would be a better option than having ants fight for the sake of entertainment.  

Edited by MrPurpleB, August 11 2021 - 6:27 PM.

• Antkeeper01, UtahAnts, PetsNotPests and 1 other like this

#105 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted August 11 2021 - 6:31 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

If minimizing cruelty is an issue, freezing would be a better option than having ants fight for the sake of entertainment.  

Freezing is also a much more humane way to go about killing a living being, invasive or not. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#106 Offline KadinB - Posted August 11 2021 - 6:50 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Edited by KadinB, October 2 2022 - 12:32 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#107 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted August 11 2021 - 6:51 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Alright I will freeze them instead. Also releasing them would be horrible for my area. There are tetras everywhere here and they fly by a very big number. After a few hours of there flights there are 100s of queens everywhere. Sorry about that I will freeze them instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. 

• KadinB likes this

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#108 Offline ExponentMars - Posted August 13 2021 - 9:19 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

for the tetras that don't get sold, grow a few of them to really large colonies and then pit them against each other? 

for the tetras that don't get sold, grow a few of them to really large colonies and then pit them against each other? 

Oops sorry I didn't read what was going on lol yeah freeze them don't listen to my psychotic thinking

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#109 Offline KadinB - Posted August 13 2021 - 2:50 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

#110 Offline carlbingustoes - Posted August 13 2021 - 8:41 PM

carlbingustoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Locationmojave desert, CA
may i claim?

may i claim?

carlbingustoes#7022

#111 Offline KadinB - Posted August 13 2021 - 8:41 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

#112 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 14 2021 - 1:27 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Gonna be adding nylanderia vividula queen with first workers if she makes it to workers. Found a queen this morning when I got out of the car when I got home. 2nd queen I have ever found. I have seen alates like heck but only got 2 dealates. Gonna be adding camponotus vicinus queens with first workers soon for 15$ each. Will also be adding Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens/queen with workers in a month. Also 100th reply! Also thinking about adding refunds. I don't have refunds because I can't afford to lose a queen but with more colonys I need to get rid of and more sales I may be adding half or full refunds. Also soon I will kill most tetra queens and will only have 10 colonys for sale. I'm gonna be dumping them all into a container and just let them fight it out or something. Gonna make a video and I will post a link of it in my interests and will post one here in chat. Gonna be doing that within a few days. I can trade some off before I kill them off. Thank you all!

Just wanted to add that releasing ants is illegal under the same law that doesn’t allow shipping over state lines iirc.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#113 Offline KadinB - Posted August 14 2021 - 5:35 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Edited by KadinB, October 2 2022 - 12:33 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#114 Offline KadinB - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:12 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

#115 Offline KadinB - Posted August 17 2021 - 10:31 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

#116 Offline KadinB - Posted August 17 2021 - 3:25 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

#117 Offline KadinB - Posted August 17 2021 - 3:47 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

#118 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted August 17 2021 - 3:50 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Thinking about making a bidding shop..... I'll take some colonys off here that aren't selling and put them on the bidding shop so I can get rid of them. Should I make one?

Yes, also I’m pretty sure he was just talking about non natives like Tetramorium in the releasing law correct me if I'm wrong.

#119 Offline KadinB - Posted August 17 2021 - 3:52 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

#120 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 17 2021 - 4:59 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Natives can’t be released as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users