• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsTopia's Myrmecocystus Mendax journal (again, again)

myrmecocystus myrmecocystus mendax pots honey pots honey pot ants ants antkeeping

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted November 21 2022 - 3:26 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Hey everyone I'm back,I haven't been active in a few months but here I am! If your wondering sadly my camponotus flordanuis colony died if you followed that journal. Anyway if you followed my other myrmecocystus mendax journal you'll know that the queen died and I got scammed and he didn't have a permit. Well here I go again with someone in my area giving me a myrmecocystus mendax queen with 15 workers and a ton of brood. Yes I live in Florida, and God knows where this person acquired this queen. It's best not to ask. Honestly I don't know either. Anyway I'll post pics next week and if you have advice it would be appreciated for this species. Thanks everyone.

- also if you saw this is in the general ant section it's because i accidntally posted it there.

Edited by AntsTopia, December 28 2022 - 6:48 AM.

• United-Ants likes this

Keeper of no ants currently. Recently moved out of a state. Don’t worry I’ll me back in no time with hundreds of colonies. I hope.  :*(

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 21 2022 - 6:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just ask a moderator to move the post next time.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntsTopia - Posted November 24 2022 - 10:57 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Ok ty

Keeper of no ants currently. Recently moved out of a state. Don’t worry I’ll me back in no time with hundreds of colonies. I hope.  :*(

#4 Offline AntsTopia - Posted November 24 2022 - 11:03 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
11/24/22
Queen is not really active and mostly getting tended to by the workers. No reletes yet but am expecting them soon after 20-30 workers. I have taken care of a M. Mendax queen before but she was a founding queen and she died so yeah. That was it. Hopefully this colony will live longer. Any tips about pots in general is appreciated. Again I did not pay for these pots and this person was happy to get them off their hands. I really don't want this to be a thread of debate. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
  • AntBoi3030 and United-Ants like this

#5 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted November 25 2022 - 8:26 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Happy thanksgiving! Good luck with your colony.
  • AntsTopia likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#6 Offline AntsTopia - Posted December 27 2022 - 3:19 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
12/27/22
Cocoons! 2nd generation is coming fast. Do u guys think that maybe there could be a replete in the 2nd generation cocoons? One cocoon is a bit larger than the rest.

Edited by AntsTopia, December 27 2022 - 3:19 PM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#7 Offline AntsTopia - Posted January 1 2023 - 6:57 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
1/1/23 IK it's weird

I noticed this morning the queen was hanging upside down in the mini hearth that they are in. Her gaster is huge! Point is I think this happens in most honeypot colonies, where the queen acts like a first replete to the colony. Am I correct?

#8 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted January 1 2023 - 7:29 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa

1/1/23 IK it's weird

I noticed this morning the queen was hanging upside down in the mini hearth that they are in. Her gaster is huge! Point is I think this happens in most honeypot colonies, where the queen acts like a first replete to the colony. Am I correct?

Yes!.feed them more sugar,honey water,it will make the queen tired of being the only replate in the colony and produce some.do you have any pic of them

Edited by Ant-nig321, January 1 2023 - 7:42 AM.

#9 Offline AntsTopia - Posted January 2 2023 - 5:33 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
You have a pot colony? I'll be posting pictures at 2 or 3 because my camera is charging so I'll post then. The mini hearth glass got condensation. Anybody know the reason for this? I never changed the water under it or the tempature. And it's been fine for about a month. I'm confused

#10 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted January 2 2023 - 6:43 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Not anymore,they died.the reason for the condensation is due to more moisture in the nest can't evaporate properly.it turns back to water.do you expose them to more heat recently?

#11 Offline AntsTopia - Posted January 2 2023 - 10:26 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
No theyve been at that same place the entire month.

#12 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted January 2 2023 - 10:41 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Any pic of them?

#13 Offline AntsTopia - Posted January 7 2023 - 11:59 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Sorry my camera isn't charging and broke so I'll take a picture of them tommrow on my iPhone. I can't use my iphone right now because my friend's greedy little brother is on my phone playing games. (I hate his brother so muchhhhhh) Last time he used it I had to rip it out of his hands! The nerve of some kids these days, exactly why I don't want to have kids.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus, myrmecocystus mendax, pots, honey pots, honey pot ants, ants, antkeeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users