• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding of crickets

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Darcy - Posted April 5 2021 - 6:05 PM

Darcy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Ok so learnt this the hard way last night that you don't feed small ant species crickets with head on them. or at least not fully crushed. came back to my Tapinoma sessile colony of 15. they were booming and being small ants i fed them the smallest cricket i could get out of the box. anyway, fed it to them crushed as much as i usually do and found this morning the queen had been pulled apart and the workers eating the gaster. don't know why, guessing it was the cricket that killed her.

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 5 2021 - 6:07 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Yep. Crickets suck. I crush or stab through heads of any live food for founding and small species colonies. 

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted April 5 2021 - 6:07 PM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDenver Area, Colorado

Aye sorry to hear that. Yeah, crickets are definitely dangerous to even smaller amphibians and stuff. Could always go with roaches if you have the option; much safer.

irl catboy

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 5 2021 - 6:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Putting any feeder insect in the freezer for 15-20 minutes is the best way to humanely kill them.
  • BugFinder likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline to_be_announced - Posted April 6 2021 - 6:42 AM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSouth East Minnesota

Putting any feeder insect in the freezer for 15-20 minutes is the best way to humanely kill them.

I second this.  I actually just freeze all of my crickets as soon as I buy them.  Then just pull them out as I need them.

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users