• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Temnothorax Rugatulus (Updated: 4-13-21)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 6 2021 - 9:44 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Today I'd like to introduce myself. I'm NicholasP From Tucson, Arizona. I've been ant keeping for more then a year! I'm currently keeping:

• Acromyrmex Versicolor
  • Camponotus Vafer
  • Crematogaster sp.
  • Crematogaster Dentinodis
  • Novomessor Albisetosus
  • Pheidole Hyatti
  • Temnothorax Rugatulus

Today I'll be featuring my Temnothorax Rugatulus! 

I found my Temnothorax Rugatulus on 4-2-2021 in one of the mountains of Tucson. I'll not say which mountain but it's around the Tucson area! Since they moved into this nest there's been a lot of brood and a lot of big brood too which I'm hoping is alate brood. So far it's just larvae but soon they'll have pupae!

Attached Images

• 20210405_181945a.jpg

Edited by NicholasP, April 14 2021 - 7:28 PM.

• Karma, CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 6 2021 - 10:09 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Today I'd like to introduce myself. I'm NicholasP From Tucson, Arizona. I've been ant keeping for more then a year! I'm currently keeping:

• Acromyrmex Versicolor
  • Camponotus Lavaegitus(or modoc)
  • Camponotus Vafer
  • Crematogaster sp.
  • Novomessor Albisetosus
  • Pheidole Hyatti
  • Temnothorax Rugatulus

I found my Temnothorax Rugatulus on 4-2-2021 in one of the mountains of Tucson. I'll not say which mountain but it's around the Tucson area! Since they moved into this nest there's been a lot of brood and a lot of big brood too which I'm hoping is alate brood. So far it's just larvae but soon they'll have pupae!

A colony this small shouldn't have alates but nice nest

Edited by Antkeeper01, April 6 2021 - 10:10 AM.

• Chickalo likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 6 2021 - 10:20 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

• Acromyrmex Versicolor
  • Camponotus Vafer
  • Crematogaster sp.
  • Novomessor Albisetosus
  • Pheidole Hyatti
  • Temnothorax Rugatulus

ok. I guess maybe next year they'll get a alates. Thanks for reading this journal!

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 6 2021 - 4:59 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Stay posted guys because tonight I’ll most likely be making a journal on my Pheidole Hyatti and on my Novomessor Albisetosus!

Edited by NicholasP, April 6 2021 - 5:02 PM.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 7 2021 - 7:01 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

• Acromyrmex Versicolor
  • Camponotus Vafer
  • Crematogaster sp.
  • Novomessor Albisetosus
  • Pheidole Hyatti
  • Temnothorax Rugatulus

It is Temnothorax. They don't get large colonies so I wouldn't be surprised if they did have alates.

According to AntWiki (not sure if it is the best source, but oh well), their colonies range from 54-141 workers, but that depends on the number of queens present.

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 7 2021 - 7:03 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#6 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 7 2021 - 7:34 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

• Acromyrmex Versicolor
  • Camponotus Vafer
  • Crematogaster sp.
  • Novomessor Albisetosus
  • Pheidole Hyatti
  • Temnothorax Rugatulus

It is Temnothorax. They don't get large colonies so I wouldn't be surprised if they did have alates.

According to AntWiki (not sure if it is the best source, but oh well), their colonies range from 54-141 workers, but that depends on the number of queens present.

I read that too and I was pretty shocked because I loved their colors and I didn't expect them to be in so small colony sizes. Thank you for reading my journal!

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 7 2021 - 8:41 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Hey guys I'd like to post a link to a poll where I need you guys to let me know what's the next ant species that I have that you guys would like to see! The vote closes tonight at 8:00 PM for Tucson!

NicholasP's Pheidole Hyatti 4-6-21 - Ant Keeping Journals - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com)

#8 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 10 2021 - 5:27 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I love the Temnothorax :-)

If it's not alates could it be majors?

#9 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 13 2021 - 8:09 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I love the Temnothorax :-)

If it's not alates could it be majors?

It might be. But take a look at the new update I'll be doing and you'll see that the possibility of alates this year is really high!

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 13 2021 - 8:20 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Dear readers of my journals, I'd like to say sorry for me not posting anything recently. I have been very busy with some things that I had to do and I've been very busy trying to make a replica of a TarHeelAnts Mini hearth (Mini Hearth (Type III) – Tar Heel Ants) for my Camponotus Vafer who won the poll more then a week ago! You will be seeing the Camponotus Vafer in a little while so fear not! But this journal is not on my Camponotus Vafer but on my Temnothorax Rugatulus! So, I went back up to the mountains of Tucson again in search of the ants that I've been longing for which is Temnothorax Rugatulus. I was able to catch 2 more colonies with 1 queen each and then I thought to myself "Instead of making 2 more nests for these Temnothorax Rugatulus why don't I just merge them with the colony that I already have?" and so I've merged them with just ~10 workers that died from them battling slightly. They're all settled in now and you won't believe the ridiculous amount of brood they have now! I am happy to say this is now a 3 queen colony!

Attached Images

• P1011870.JPG

Edited by NicholasP, April 13 2021 - 8:26 PM.

• Karma, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 1 other like this

#11 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 28 2021 - 2:40 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

update?

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#12 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 3 2021 - 7:58 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Well. It pains me to say it but they died a long time ago due to a very rapid mold growth. I saved the queen but she died shortly after due to no brood. I will try to continue this journal sometime this year.

#13 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 3 2021 - 10:35 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

can you update your other journals? and sorry dude that really sucks.

#14 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 13 2021 - 12:18 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

can you update your other journals? and sorry dude that really sucks.

Sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users