• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Flight Month and Location

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsareCool - Posted April 1 2021 - 9:35 AM

AntsareCool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Does anyone know where and when I can find Pheidole queens? Or maybe anyone that sells pheidole in Cali? 

#2 Offline Chickalo - Posted April 1 2021 - 9:42 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

https://www.formicul...gmating-chart/ 

as to where, i don't know.  I don't know if this remains true to all species in the genus but our pilifera like sandy soil

シグナチャーです。예.

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted April 1 2021 - 9:48 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

June July for eastern species. Check out a flight list that dspdrew made. Black Lights are used a lot, but what I like to do is set a small pool under a light such as a shed light that is always on and overnight you'll probably get around 30 queens. They fly for a week after it rains so best bet is after it rains.

• BrandonM likes this
We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 1 2021 - 7:46 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Here in SC, Pheidole bicarinata actually starts flying this month. Other species fly from May to September. Flights are typically nocturnal, and alates can be collected at flight traps, but can also be picked off the surface of a pool.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline AntsareCool - Posted April 2 2021 - 3:39 PM

AntsareCool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Ah ok, thank you all for the responses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users