• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Tetramorium have social stomacks?

tetramorium social stomach trophallaxis regurgitation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 31 2021 - 5:36 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Hello ant lovers!

A bit of a beginner question really. And not off the mark as I am just starting with a colony of T. semilaeve.

I would like to know if the Tetras participate in trophallaxis, i.e. regurgitating food for teammates.

I think this impacts the approach to how an antkeeper feeds the colony.

My searches of the internet have resulted in Tetras using trophallaxis for purposes of exchanging information, but no mention of exchanging food.

So I guess they don't have a social stomach?

Any information is much appreciated :)

#2 Offline Dino - Posted March 31 2021 - 6:21 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

I would assume they do because you wouldn't have a queen running around collecting food or having the workers deliver her the food chunks to eat also the nurse ants wouldn't have time to eat food or forage for it and the queen wouldn't be able to feed her larvae in founding stages so it is unlikely they wouldn't have social stomachs and from my knowledge all eusocial insect have social stomachs

• MinigunL5 likes this

Ants I'm keeping 

Lasius niger 15-20 workers

Journal

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 31 2021 - 6:28 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Some Myrmecines and Ponerines do not have a social stomach, a common example of this is Aphaenogaster. As to the topic question, I am unsure.

I would assume they do because you wouldn't have a queen running around collecting food or having the workers deliver her the food chunks to eat also the nurse ants wouldn't have time to eat food or forage for it and the queen wouldn't be able to feed her larvae in founding stages so it is unlikely they wouldn't have social stomachs and from my knowledge all eusocial insect have social stomachs

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 31 2021 - 7:15 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

As Nick said, some ants do not, and also nurse ant is not an actual term, what do you mean by that?

#5 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 31 2021 - 8:28 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Messors lack social stomach too... But they compensate for it by making grain dough they can pass around and feed the entire colony.

My Apahenogasters are more demanding to feed. I have to make sure I give them protein in chunks they can carry. Liquids won't do. The queen needs to have access to drinkable water, etc...

Sure, they can make "sponges" from twigs and dirt, but that's just "iffy" in my opinion.

I bet Antdrew will chime in with his experience of Tetras.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 31 2021 - 8:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m actually not sure, but I’m inclined to think that they do. The workers’ gasters get pretty distended with food sometimes, though you have to look close to notice due to their tiny size.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 31 2021 - 11:07 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Interesting. I've had bad luck with them drowning/sticking to sweets. Hopefully byFormica feeders will alleviate that.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#8 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted March 31 2021 - 1:04 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Some Myrmecines and Ponerines do not have a social stomach, a common example of this is Aphaenogaster. As to the topic question, I am unsure.

As Nick said, some ants do not, and also nurse ant is not an actual term, what do you mean by that?

I'm pretty sure they do have social stomachs. They're just too small to carry much liquid.

Also, Tetramorium definitely have social stomachs.

Edited by MinigunL5, March 31 2021 - 1:05 PM.

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 31 2021 - 5:40 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I'm pretty sure they do have social stomachs. They're just too small to carry much liquid.

I agree, I was just saying that some ants do not.

#10 Offline skocko76 - Posted April 1 2021 - 4:28 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Thank you for your replies! Much appreciated!
  • Kaelwizard likes this

#11 Offline Dino - Posted April 1 2021 - 6:32 AM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

I didn't know that thanks for clearing that up.

By nurse ants I meant the younger ants which take care of the queen and the brood instead of foraging like their older siblings.

Ants I'm keeping 

Lasius niger 15-20 workers

Journal

#12 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted April 1 2021 - 2:32 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I agree, I was just saying that some ants do not.

That some ants do not have social stomachs?

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 1 2021 - 3:41 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Yes. Aphaenogaster are an example.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, social stomach, trophallaxis, regurgitation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users