• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help. ID for a queen.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 8:32 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

while looking for prenolepis queens, I found this small black queen out of the corner of my eye. Found in Jamaica Plain, MA. I was thinking maybe she was a Tapinoma sessile queen, but do they fly this early? She is also about the size of a small pheidole queen.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 27 2021 - 8:42 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.
We’re gonna need a picture for any attempt at an ID

#3 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 8:46 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Sorry. I was just taking them. 

Here...

IMG 20210327 124247
IMG 20210327 124216

They are not the best. I'll try to get more with a better camera.

Her thorax is kind of rusty in color.

otherwise she is black.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 27 2021 - 8:54 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think this is a parasitic Lasius queen. Not sure, since the pictures are less than perfect. I recommend shining a flashlight at a 45 degree angle from the tube, and taking the picture like that. Lighting is key in photography.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 27 2021 - 9:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Given the time of year, I’m basically certain this is Lasius claviger or some other parasite.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 27 2021 - 10:09 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Parasitic lasius queen, I'm guessing lasius aphidicola. These guys hibernate over winter and then sneak into still hibernating host colonies in early spring to kill the queen. You will need lasius host workers in order to raise her. Normally callows are recommended, but this early in the season the best thing to do is dunk some host workers in vinegar to remove their scent and then introduce them to the queen.

Edited by Manitobant, March 27 2021 - 10:09 AM.

#7 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 11:51 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Will the vinegar kill the workers?

I will get better species so we can find out what species and what type of host it takes.

#8 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 11:54 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

And what type of lasius do clavigar take as host?

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 27 2021 - 12:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

This is most likely aphidicola, however, most species of parasitic lasius prefer americanus as their hosts. They should be pretty common in MA.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#10 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 12:11 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

They are.

#11 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 12:13 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

And manitobant said, put them in vinegar to get their scent away. Does vinegar kill ants?

How should I introduce the workers.

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 27 2021 - 12:16 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Since he said to put them in vinegar to introduce them, I would assume it would not kill them.

As he said, dunk them in vinegar, maybe let them dry out a bit, and then put the workers in with the queen.

#13 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 12:18 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

k

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 27 2021 - 12:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I say just realease her. These parasites aren’t worth the trouble for a beginner.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 27 2021 - 12:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The vinegar thing is new, and it seems to be a lot more effective than the old methods. Its not like raising them is especially challenging once the workers are accepted, then, they're just like any small Lasius colony. At least from what I have read. Never had the good fortune to actually find one of them myself.

#16 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 27 2021 - 1:27 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

It worked! 1 of the workers dipped in vinegar was with the queen on the cotton when i got back from my walk.

(I only put 1 in just to make sure the workers would accept the queen)

#17 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 27 2021 - 2:50 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

It worked! 1 of the workers dipped in vinegar was with the queen on the cotton when i got back from my walk.

And no aggressiveness? Keep us updated because I really want to see how this goes.

#18 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 27 2021 - 2:57 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

And no aggressiveness? Keep us updated because I really want to see how this goes.
it worked for me. I'm not too surprised.

#19 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 28 2021 - 12:40 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Nvm..... I checked on them today, and the worker was crumpled in a ball near the cotton. I'll just set her free, or maybe next year, I can found a colony of lasius americanus and catch another one of these queens to take the nest or something like that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users