• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I Admit My ID’ing Skills Stink!

Best Answer ConcordAntman , March 26 2021 - 11:02 AM

Gee, that was quick! Like I said, my ID’ing skills suck. I’ve got the Field Guide to the Ants of New England beside me and even used a pair of loupes to look at the head. I was positive I saw ocelli :/ I give up  :facepalm: I’ve got a C. novaeboracensis queen I found May 2020 that still has her wings and is working on her second clutch of eggs (50% loss of her nanitics over diapause). Why do you think she’s unfertilized?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 26 2021 - 10:39 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

1. Location: Concord, MA

2. Date of collection: March 25, 2021
3. Habitat of collection: Suburban/rural yard, forested, adjacent to wetland and farmland
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~7mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Reddish-brown, shiny with darker head and gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Smooth mesosoma, 1-segmented pedicel, non constricted gaster, Ocelli
7. Distinguishing behavior: N/A
8. Nest description: N/A

9. Nuptial flight time and date: March 25, 2021 (no flight witnessed)

D3FF0527 036A 46AC B78D DF0B3984CBC9

07E59170 2352 4AC0 9D54 D16C6B3C5D59

My guess is that this is another Camponotus sp (I already have 4) but the head seems too small. I thought it was a male but the gaster suggests otherwise. I’ve proven that my ID’ing skills suck so any help is appreciated!

• Chickalo likes this

#2 Offline M_Ants - Posted March 26 2021 - 10:41 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

prenolepis imparis

Edited by M_Ants, March 26 2021 - 10:42 AM.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#3 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 26 2021 - 10:42 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Prenolepis imparis

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 26 2021 - 10:42 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Prenolepis imparis! She might be unmated, though.

#5 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 26 2021 - 10:45 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Prenolepis imparis.

#6 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 26 2021 - 10:47 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

i was gonna say prenolepis but now i look like I'm copying D:

judging by the fact I've seen a queen last year and since its march

(also because everyone else is saying it)

シグナチャーです。예.

#7 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 26 2021 - 11:02 AM   Best Answer

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Gee, that was quick! Like I said, my ID’ing skills suck. I’ve got the Field Guide to the Ants of New England beside me and even used a pair of loupes to look at the head. I was positive I saw ocelli :/ I give up  :facepalm: I’ve got a C. novaeboracensis queen I found May 2020 that still has her wings and is working on her second clutch of eggs (50% loss of her nanitics over diapause). Why do you think she’s unfertilized?

Edited by ConcordAntman, March 26 2021 - 11:11 AM.

• Chickalo likes this

#8 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 26 2021 - 11:10 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Like I said, my ID’ing skills suck. I’ve got the Field Guide to the Ants of New England beside me and even used a pair of loupes to look at the head. I was positive I saw ocelli :/ I give up :facepalm:

haha, it'd be easier when they get workers, in my opinion it's easier to distinguish species via workers rather than queens, examples like Formica and Camponotus since the queens all have smooth mesosomas (not sure about size, maybe that was a crappy choice for an example)

• ConcordAntman likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#9 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 26 2021 - 11:14 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Prenolepis alates all have ocelli as well. Most alates do. Honestly, the ID is only so easy because Prenolepis are really the only ants that fly this early in the year, aside from maybe Stenamma spp. which are very distinct from Prenolepis.

• TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman, MinigunL5 and 1 other like this

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 26 2021 - 11:23 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I was going to say Prenolepis imparis, but I suppose you don't need it considering the other replies. ;)

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 26 2021 - 11:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You found something besides Camponotus!
  • TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman and Chickalo like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 26 2021 - 3:14 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Yeah, but I was clueless enough that I didn’t even know it :lol: On a serious note, I went back with handheld 15x loupes and with binocular loupes. She’s clearly not interested in holding still so I can check her out, but I’m certain that there’s ocelli or something posterior on the head. Nuptial flight-wise, it’s got to be P. imparis but do they have some kind of markings there on the head?

CheetoLord02, just read your post. Thanks for answering my question! So, the workers don’t have ocelli but the alates do? Is that noted in field guides?

Edited by ConcordAntman, March 26 2021 - 3:54 PM.

#13 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 26 2021 - 4:29 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Yeah, but I was clueless enough that I didn’t even know it :lol: On a serious note, I went back with handheld 15x loupes and with binocular loupes. She’s clearly not interested in holding still so I can check her out, but I’m certain that there’s ocelli or something posterior on the head. Nuptial flight-wise, it’s got to be P. imparis but do they have some kind of markings there on the head?

CheetoLord02, just read your post. Thanks for answering my question! So, the workers don’t have ocelli but the alates do? Is that noted in field guides?

I have no idea if it's noted in guides, but generally speaking for most species the alates have ocelli while the workers do not. Ocelli serve as a tool to help alates navigate in-flight, so typically they are the only ones who have them. Some primitive genera like Pseudomyrmex will also have workers with ocelli, but generally most workers don't and most alates do. The only exception I can think of is ergatoid and dichthadiiform queens may not have ocelli.

• TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman and ANTdrew like this

#14 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted March 26 2021 - 7:07 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

As others said it's a Preno queen. They're polygynous and have a relatively low success rate so I suggest you catch more queens next time they fly.

• ConcordAntman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users