• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lost 2 queens, very bizzare

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 18 2021 - 3:50 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi everyone,

I'm saddened to say that I lost 2 prominent colonies. I lost a formica colony, and my crematogaster colony. I recently switched up the location of their setup, on a heating cable, which I have had no problems which. The change in their setup is that they are under a window sill. I hibernated them in a fairly cool location, nothing too cold. Maybe that was part of the problem (Hibernation wasn't restful enough?), or any heat generated by sunlight? Oddly It was only the queen that died, I didn't lose any workers.

The crematgoaster queen died after laying a ton of eggs. Formica didn't lay anything. Both are 3 year old colonies. Do some queens just not live very long? Starvation isn't it, I fed them and I'd assume the workers would transfer any nutrients to the queen? Also, if they didn't have the most nutrients I'd imagine they'd cull a worker. Also, then the queen wouldn't lay that many eggs. Maybe the hibernation and heat was too much for the queens and they just died of exhaustion? Usually for any problems, workers start dying as a warning and queens usually live.

I'm moving my other founding queens (luckily one's a crematogaster and if I can confirm there's no disease I'll transfer the brood) and my other colonies. Now I feel terrible, because I have been busy and couldn't check my colonies that much these past few days and my father warned me about making the ants "work too hard" and die of exhaustion. 

Edit: More details I've realized: The cotton is a bit dry. Which doesn't really clarify anything, because crematogaster isn't really a dry-phobic species (to my knowledge) and they've definitely experienced dryer before I've moved them. Formica colony just had a replete like worker curl up and die in the minutes that have passed. 

Edited by Temperateants, March 18 2021 - 4:16 PM.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 19 2021 - 4:59 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes it’s inexplicable. I had 2 C. pennsylvanicus queens die within weeks of coming out of diapause one year and two years after founding their colonies. The colonies had been growing with eggs and larvae. There were no signs of problems. I just found them dead in my routine colony tending. You might never know what the cause was. Still, consider it an opportunity for this anting season. 

• ANTdrew, Temperateants and Chickalo like this

#3 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 19 2021 - 10:15 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes it’s inexplicable. I had 2 C. pennsylvanicus queens die within weeks of coming out of diapause one year and two years after founding their colonies. The colonies had been growing with eggs and larvae. There were no signs of problems. I just found them dead in my routine colony tending. You might never know what the cause was. Still, consider it an opportunity for this anting season. Yeah

Yeah, Crematogaster is my favorite genus, so I'll look extra hard for more queens this year.

• ConcordAntman likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users