• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pavement queen fresh from hibernation, when I try to open the tube to feed her and the babies she bolts!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:06 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
So, how do I feed them if everytime I handle the test tube she freaks out? She got out and I spent ten minutes trying to get her back to the tube on her own. I finally did and I dipped a small pebble in honey and left it for them to clean.

I don't understand the test tube set up. It seems hard to give food or to open it without everyone running away.

What am I missing?
How do I feed her?

Also, I'm terrified of them getting stuck in the honey so how can I prevent that?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

If she has workers, give her an outworld/ foraging container. Place the opened test tube in a small box like this:

IMG 9282

Put fluon around the rim and on the lid. Make a tiny entrance to tube to keep the ants feeling more secure. An easy way to do this is to drill a hole in the cap that comes with the tubes, or you can insert a tiny straw in between the dry cotton and the tube as an entrance.

I buy this container you see in the photo at Container Store. They are called BoxBox clear stackable containers. Solid gold for ant-keeping.

To prevent ants drowning in honey, soak it in a bit of cotton or a piece of paper towel. Make sure you are diluting the honey with water in a 3:1 ratio. Tiny ants can't drink super viscous honey. Better yet, get some byFormica liquid feeders ASAP.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 8 2021 - 9:32 AM.

• DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:34 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

If she has workers, give her an outworld/ foraging container. Place the opened test tube in a small box like this:

Put fluon around the rim and on the lid. Make a tiny entrance to tube to keep the ants feeling more secure. An easy way to do this is to drill a hole in the cap that comes with the tubes, or you can insert a tiny straw in between the dry cotton and the tube as an entrance.

I buy this container you see in the photo at Container Store. They are called BoxBox clear stackable containers. Solid gold for ant-keeping.

To prevent ants drowing in honey, soak it in a bit of cotton or a piece of paper towel. Make sure you are diluting the honey with water in a 3:1 ratio. Tiny ants can't drink super viscous honey. Better yet, get some byFormica liquid feeders ASAP.

Ok .. I have an outworld but sizes are all wrong to fit the tube . I'll get one like that

To prevent ants drowing in honey, soak it in a bit of cotton or a piece of paper towel. Make sure you are diluting the honey with water in a 3:1 ratio. Tiny ants can't drink super viscous honey. Better yet, get some byFormica liquid feeders ASAP.

Opps .. ok .. I have feeders but they didn't fit in the tube ..once I put them in the outworld that will work best

Thank you!!!!

I thought I was ready lol

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 15 2021 - 6:00 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

You should not feed her if she does not have workers

Edited by gs5248, March 15 2021 - 6:00 PM.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 16 2021 - 5:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

My Tetramorium queens loved their tubes lol. I'm pretty sure I once left the room with one open and the queen didn't leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users