• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Pheidole Tysoni journal

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 8 2021 - 4:44 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I have been keeping these ants since october and am very happy to have them. Pheidole are my favorite speices of ants, and I like tysoni because of their goldish color. But there are 2 things wrong, mine don't do much. They never come out of their tube to do anything. My colony has 3 queens and has about 60 to 70 workers. Also mine isn't moving into the ant farm that their tube is placed in. I wuld not want to rush them because the workers I do see go inside the ant farm always die. But they must be eating the food I give them because if they weren't then they would be dead. Post pics soon.

#2 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 8 2021 - 4:49 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

my colony doesn't have any majors as far as I can tell, but 

i think they will soon.

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 5:34 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

An ant farm? I hope your not putting them in a small two glass pane little thing. If your looking for a good pheidole nest get a mini hearth or a mini hearth bifurcated that is ready to ship because they are cheaper.  https://tarheelants....ts/mini-hearth 

Also I believe you have a different species, you should post a identification on here.

We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 9 2021 - 6:16 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I do have that... they are just not moving in.

#5 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 6:38 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

I think for now its better to go to walmart and get a small container that is a little longer than your test tubes and place your test tubes they are in in that so that you can add more test tubes for living space and move them. Smaller ant species don't like bigger spaces even though I have seen a bicarinata colony with 20 workers move in a mini hearth before.

We don’t talk about that

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 9 2021 - 7:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

You will want to get an actual formicarium instead of an ant farm. Tar Heel Ants is a really good seller in the US, but his nests are really expensive. You could also just stick to having a bunch of test tubes in an outworld, but that doesn't look very nice normally. Making your own nest is also an option. There are a lot of YouTube videos that explain how to make them.

#7 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 7:46 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

You will want to get an actual formicarium instead of an ant farm. Tar Heel Ants is a really good seller in the US, but his nests are really expensive. You could also just stick to having a bunch of test tubes in an outworld, but that doesn't look very nice normally. Making your own nest is also an option. There are a lot of YouTube videos that explain how to make them.

They are saying they have the mini hearth but the ants won't move in. 

We don’t talk about that

#8 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 9 2021 - 8:29 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Yeah. They should have enough workers to be able to move in now but they are so attched to their test tube.

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 9 2021 - 8:39 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

They are saying they have the mini hearth but the ants won't move in.
Oh I missed that part of your post lol.

#10 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 8:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Still, get an ant id posted with some good pics of your ants because those are not tysoni. But since they are a yellow color it would be cool if one of your first colonies was not commonly kept.

We don’t talk about that

#11 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:01 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

lol I will try to post pics soon.

um I am sure they are.

100% sure. What makes you think they are not?

I will try to get pics.

#12 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:03 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Pheidole tysoni are not polygynous, you said you had a 3 queen colony which would rule out tysoni because the queens would kill each other immediately during founding and if not the workers would.

We don’t talk about that

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:08 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Pheidole tysoni are not polygynous, you said you had a 3 queen colony which would rule out tysoni because the queens would kill each other immediately during founding and if not the workers would.

Yeah that rules them out, but I'm not sure what they could be. Antmaps only has Ph. pilifera listed for Massachusetts, but the color throws me off... 

A more knowledgeable member could be of more help with the ID. For now I would just list them as "Pheidole species"

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 9 2021 - 9:10 AM.

#14 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:10 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

He could have found a new record for billmeki or anastasii.

We don’t talk about that

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:16 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I'm not going to make any assumptions, but on Antmaps Ph. billmeki is listed as dubious (so unlikely to actually be there) and Ph. anastasii are indoor introduced, but the all the records are from museum collections.

#16 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:20 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Well they are small. But you could be right because they would've had majors by now. But I am sure that they are pheidole because they match the pheidole that are living in my yard.

Here are pics.
IMG 20210309 121402

sorry didn't turn out good.

I don't have any special camera but I ordered one.

So that pic isn't very usefull.

#17 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:20 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Well they are small. But you could be right because they would've had majors by now. But I am sure that they are pheidole because they match the pheidole that are living in my yard.

Here are pics.

Yes they are most likely Pheidole, but not Ph. tysoni.

#18 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:22 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Try zooming in about 75% on your phone and keeping it about 2-4 inches away from the tube and then you can get it to focus.

We don’t talk about that

#19 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:23 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

I'm not going to make any assumptions, but on Antmaps Ph. billmeki is listed as dubious (so unlikely to actually be there) and Ph. anastasii are indoor introduced, but the all the records are from museum collections.

Well there certainly not pilifera so it will be interesting identifying these.

We don’t talk about that

#20 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 9 2021 - 9:25 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

should i make a forum for identifying the ant?

Even if I'm still sure they are tysoni.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users