• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen from Roanoke, Virginia 3/9/21

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AUGUAG - Posted March 9 2021 - 12:32 PM

AUGUAG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

Hello again! We've had yet another warm week here in Roanoke and you can imagine my surprise when I found this little lady walking down the sidewalk. I almost passed her by, thinking she was a worker, but taking a closer look I could tell she was a queen. She has the general shape of many parasitic/semi claustral queens that I have seen, but I thought I would come over to the experts to see for certain! I could not get an underside shot of her because she absolutely refuses to leave the moist cotton, but I hope what I have is enough to get a general idea. Thanks in advance for the help!

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Suburbs of Roanoke, Virginia
2. Date of collection: 3/9/21
3. Habitat of collection: Sidewalk next to a school
4. Length (from head to gaster): Between 7 and 8 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Brown/reddish brown with light orange or brown legs; slightly hairy gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: N/A
7. Distinguishing behavior: Unable to climb up smooth plastic
8. Nest description: N/A

9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A

Attached Images

• AntID 3-9-21 1.jpg
  • AntID 3-9-21 2.jpg
  • AntID 3-9-21 3.jpg
  • AntID 3-9-21 4.jpg

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 9 2021 - 12:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Lasius claviger. She will need hosts of another Lasius species to survive. And a test tube that isn't flooding.

• CheetoLord02, Manitobant and Swirlysnowflake like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 9 2021 - 12:52 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I was gonna say it looked like a Lasius parasite due to it's smaller gaster and large head.  Try finding Lasius neoniger, I'm pretty sure that works fine.  https://www.formicul...ial-parasites/ <--- use this post as a guide with keeping her, it goes more indepth than I could in one post, goodluck :D (boy do I wish I had a Lasius parasite)

• antsandmore likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2021 - 12:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good ol’ Lasius claviger. Let her go.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 9 2021 - 12:56 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

out of curiosity, what is the reason to let her go?

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#6 Offline AUGUAG - Posted March 9 2021 - 12:56 PM

AUGUAG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

Never in a thousand years did I think I would be finding claviger in the middle of March. Thank you all for the info.

Not at all trying to be rude, just curious, but is there a specific reason I should let her go? Are they uncommon?

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#7 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 9 2021 - 12:59 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Never in a thousand years did I think I would be finding claviger in the middle of March. Thank you all for the info.

Not at all trying to be rude, just curious, but is there a specific reason I should let her go? Are they uncommon?

Probably just because she's a parasite, I've heard they're hard to start, but I'd try

シグナチャーです。예.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 9 2021 - 1:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

You never win if you do not try :) I would give her a go if you can find host workers. And get the poor queen in a proper test tube...

• CheetoLord02, Manitobant and Chickalo like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline AUGUAG - Posted March 9 2021 - 1:39 PM

AUGUAG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

You never win if you do not try :) I would give her a go if you can find host workers. And get the poor queen in a proper test tube...

It's the only test tube I had on me at the time, and it was one that I had made a while ago. She's not swimming in it; she seems like she enjoys the moisture. Nonetheless, I'll get her into a better setup when I get home.

• NickAnter and Chickalo like this

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2021 - 1:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
These Lasius parasites come out in the millions right around now looking for host colonies. They take advantage of cooler weather to catch colonies while they’re dormant, which is pretty genius. I guess their abundance kind of breeds contempt in me. They are also challenging to get going and pretty boring even if you succeed. It’s the kind of ant I love *in the wild.*

Edited by ANTdrew, March 9 2021 - 2:00 PM.

• antsandmore likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 9 2021 - 3:41 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
You should feed her if you haven’t. Parasitic Lasius generally go for quantity or quality of their alates, so they are often underfed.

#12 Offline AleeGuy - Posted March 9 2021 - 4:01 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
It is lasius claviger. https://www.antwiki....rary_Parasitismhere is a chart that shows host slecies for certain temporary parasitic species, for clav's you can go with lasius americanus or neoniger(not sure which one will be better for her so it would be really helpful to get opinions/view points on which one will be better). The best way to introduce host species workers to a temporary parasitic queen is to get a few workers and a lot of brood from a host colony, care for them until brood hatches and then introduce freshly hatched workers to the queen. Or you can dunk olderly workers in vinegar so they would lost their odor/scent and then introduce them. In my opinion the first method would work out better but it's up to you. By the way, the optimal number of host workers is at least around 50 workers.

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 9 2021 - 4:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I imagine claviger workers would work just fine as well.

#14 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 4:05 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I've always tried to catch a lasius claviger but I never succeed.

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 5:27 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I've always tried to catch a lasius claviger but I never succeed.

There are too many parasites here. I find L. aphidocola throughout the summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users