• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Leo's Ant Journal (Pheidole, Odontomachus, Strumigenys, Carebara, Meranoplus, Pseudoneoponera ....)

27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 9 2021 - 5:31 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Thanks!!

Ants epic :D
YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ

My current ants: Nylanderia cf. kraepelini, Odontomachus simillimus, Paratrechina longicornis, Tetramorium sp., Odontomachus rixosus

Death count: idk there's too many that I've lost :(
╔═╦╗╔╦╗╔═╦═╦═╦╦╗╔═╗ ╔══╦══╗ ╔╗╔╦═╗ ╗   ╔═

║╚╣║║║╚╣╚╣╔╣╔╣║╚╣═╣ ╚╗╔╣╔╗║ ║╚╝║═╣    ║╚
╠╗║╚╝║║╠╗║╚╣║║║║║═╣ㅤ║║║╚╝║ ║║║║═╣ ╠╗║
╚═╩══╩═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩═╩═╝ㅤ╚╝╚══╝ ╚╩╩╩═╝ ╚╝╚═

#22 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 9 2021 - 5:35 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Btw Cataulacus are a mostly arboreal sp of ant and therefore really like honey and sugerwater, they might take dead crickets or mosquitos but i aint sure. the tips above mainly apply to arboreal ants from southeast asia like Oecophylla or Tetraponera, so I assume Cataulacus is the same. Hope ur successful!!

• Leo likes this

My current ants: Nylanderia cf. kraepelini, Odontomachus simillimus, Paratrechina longicornis, Tetramorium sp., Odontomachus rixosus

#23 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 10 2021 - 11:25 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Btw Cataulacus are a mostly arboreal sp of ant and therefore really like honey and sugerwater, they might take dead crickets or mosquitos but i aint sure. the tips above mainly apply to arboreal ants from southeast asia like Oecophylla or Tetraponera, so I assume Cataulacus is the same. Hope ur successful!!

Many ants like honey and sugar water, not just arboreal ants.

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 10 2021 - 11:26 AM.

#24 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 10 2021 - 3:49 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Many ants like honey and sugar water, not just arboreal ants.

Yes but arboreal ants tend to like sweets more than most ants. In Malaysia where I'm from, arboreal ants like Oecophylla, Polyrachis and Tetraponera like sweets more than other ants. I think this is only for southeast asian ants but Cataulacus happens to be one of the few genera that act like this.

#25 Offline Leo - Posted June 6 2021 - 4:04 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

07/06/2021

Odontomachus monticola - 14mm

Plaster nest

1 Queen, 5 workers

This colony was doing fairly well until about a month ago, when they were infected with a crazy amount of mites. There were mites covering every single ant, and the brood was dying fairly fast. After a month or so of quarantine and treatment, the colony is still alive, but only with 5 workers left and no brood. I have yet to see the queen lay eggs again, but I can still hope. 

one of the few surviving workers

Camponotus pseudoirritans - 14mm

Test tube

1 Queen

Newly caught alate. Five bucks says she isn't fertile, but a stunning queen nonetheless.

Odontoponera cf. denticulata - 13mm

Plastic box

1 Queen

This queen was caught about a week ago, and although she has been in a temporary container this whole time, she has already laid ~12 eggs. At this point, I may as well see how far I can get with her only in that container. This species usually preys on termites, but in captivity they are not very picky with what they eat.

Crematogaster sp - 10mm

Test tube

1 Queen

A rather common species during this time of year. This queen has already laid a small clutch of eggs, and is now sitting in my closet until she gets her workers.

Edited by Leo, June 6 2021 - 4:10 PM.

• NickAnter and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#26 Offline Leo - Posted October 13 2021 - 3:50 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

13/10/21

Well, looks like i'm pretty good at not having my ants do well, hahaha. Or maybe i'm just unlucky, who knows. Picked up a few more ants, no longer actively anting, but I do appreciate stumbling across alates randomly.

Odontoponera cf. denticulata - 13mm

Plastic box

1 Queen 1 worker

Doing fairly well, her first worker enclosed about two weeks ago, and is helping the queen out with things. Second batch of workers are already on their way.

Spiky larvae

Pseudoneoponera rufipes - 20mm

test tube with outworld

1 Queen

This is a new queen, actually, the old queen passed a while ago. I traded a few Buniapone queens for her from a friend of mine. Lets hope this beauty does better than the last attempt  :D 

I also managed a photo of this larvae hatching from an egg, pretty cool if i do say so myself.

Buniapone ambylops - 10mm

small soil container

1 Queen

One of the prettier and harder-to-keep species i have found over the years. Cherry tomato red gaster and a slight golden sheen on the carapace, what's not to love? This queen has about a dozen eggs, but not much more than that.

• AntsUtah, SYUTEO and PetsNotPests like this

#27 Online PetsNotPests - Posted October 13 2021 - 6:39 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Those pictures are just amazing. What kind of lens are you using? 

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#28 Offline Leo - Posted October 13 2021 - 4:49 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Those pictures are just amazing. What kind of lens are you using? 

canon 100mm macro lens

• AntsUtah likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users