• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I’ve seen this used instead of cotton balls, but not sure what it is. Does anyone know? Is it superior to cotton?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 6 2021 - 7:26 PM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, Colorado
808aedb8f445f1e1e280b68eb05cc068.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you are, be a good one.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 6 2021 - 8:38 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
PVE foam is better for destructive ants, like camponotus or leptothorax. For non destructive sp i would stick to cotton.
  • jgoogz likes this

#3 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 6 2021 - 8:57 PM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Any reason you'd recommend PVC Foam for non destructive?  Just price?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

#4 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted March 6 2021 - 9:10 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Destructive colonies tend to tear and rip at the cotton, which can result in workers and brood getting tangled. This doesn't happen to PVE foam. One downside I've seen is with super small ants actually using the PVE foam as a digging medium, burrowing in and showing up on the other side, drowning. 

• jgoogz, Manitobant and Ants_Dakota like this

#5 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 6 2021 - 9:50 PM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Destructive colonies tend to tear and rip at the cotton, which can result in workers and brood getting tangled. This doesn't happen to PVE foam. One downside I've seen is with super small ants actually using the PVE foam as a digging medium, burrowing in and showing up on the other side, drowning.

Ahh good advice! Thank you!!

• gs5248 likes this

#6 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 7 2021 - 11:11 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

PVE foam is completely mold resistant, and more durable.

• jgoogz likes this

#7 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 7 2021 - 3:26 PM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Any idea where to purchase? 

#8 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 7 2021 - 5:46 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

https://www.formicul...op【california】/

• jgoogz likes this

#9 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted March 7 2021 - 7:47 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

PVE is subject to mold, same as any other wet material exposed biological matter

• jgoogz likes this

#10 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 7 2021 - 8:22 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Cotton is made from the cotton plant, meaning it is organic. This makes cotton subject to mold. On the other hand, PVE foam is made of synthetic and inorganic materials, meaning that the material itself in not subject to mold. It is worth noting however, that if organic material, like lets say a cricket leg, got near the wet PVE foam, it would inevitably mold. This is because it is made of organic material, but the PVE is not. This situation will apply to all other inorganic materials. For example, if your ants stored their excrement, in their hydrostone nest, the scat would mold, but the hydrostone material would not.

Edited by gs5248, March 7 2021 - 9:11 PM.

• jgoogz likes this

#11 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 8 2021 - 7:57 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Any idea where to purchase? 

you can on amazon as well, i think.

• jgoogz likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#12 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 8 2021 - 8:22 AM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Just purchased some. I think it will allow for moisture better.

#13 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 8 2021 - 8:57 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

(y)

#14 Offline AleeGuy - Posted March 8 2021 - 8:59 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Ok so basically that is a PVA sponge. It is way better than just a cotton because:
1. It is mold resistant.
2. Outstandingly conducts water.
3. Ants won't get stuck if they try to dig on the edges of it because it is cylindrical shape(it has to fit tightly too, around 2mm more in diameter of the test tube), while cotton is oval-y shaped when it's in the test tube so ants can get stuck when they try to dig on the edges.
4. If it has the right size then it will get pulled back into the water reservoir side while amount of water decreasing there, so no air bubbles would appear, and plus it will give the ants more space by the time goes by.
5. It is reusable. Just wash it with a warm water to get the trash and stuff like that out of it.
The only con is in cutting it, because it is really hard when it's dry and uncutably soft when wet so it takes a lot of effort to cut them. Fortunately cocdeshijie sells precut ones on his store for a great price so I would get it from him instead of getting uncut one.

Edit: I hope it helped.

Edited by AleeGuy, March 8 2021 - 9:02 AM.

• jgoogz likes this

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:00 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Ok so basically that is a PVA sponge. It is way better than just a cotton because:
1. It is mold resistant.
3. Ants won't get stuck if they try to dig on the edges of it because it is cylindrical shape(it has to fit tightly too, around 2mm more in diameter of the test tube), while cotton is oval-y shaped when it's in the test tube so ants can get stuck when they try to dig on the edges.
4. If it has the right size then it will get pulled back into the water reservoir side while amount of water decreasing there, so no air bubbles would appear, and plus it will give the ants more space by the time goes by.
5. It is reusable. Just wash it with a warm water to get the trash and stuff like that out of it.
The only con is in cutting it, because it is really hard when it's dry and uncutably soft when wet so it takes a lot of effort to cut them. Fortunately cocdeshijie sells already cut ones on his store for a great price so I would get it from him instead of getting uncut one.

that is probably the best idea, buying precut ones.

• jgoogz likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:14 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

I agree.

• jgoogz and Ants_Dakota like this

#17 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:31 AM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
He hasn’t responded to me for a purchase, so I’m going to hand cut some myself. I think you just push the test tube onto the material and cut around the mark that forms. We will see. Fun to try!

#18 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:32 AM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

1. It is mold resistant.
The only con is in cutting it, because it is really hard when it's dry and uncutably soft when wet so it takes a lot of effort to cut them. Fortunately cocdeshijie sells precut ones on his store for a great price so I would get it from him instead of getting uncut one.

Edit: I hope it helped.

This is amazingly helpful. Thank you for taking the time. Those small details make up all the difference. Like it moving back into the tubes, and confirming that it is indeed a better conductor of water. <3

#19 Offline AleeGuy - Posted March 8 2021 - 10:29 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

PVE foam is better for destructive ants, like camponotus or leptothorax. For non destructive sp i would stick to cotton.

PVE is subject to mold, same as any other wet material exposed biological matter

Cotton is made from the cotton plant, meaning it is organic. This makes cotton subject to mold. On the other hand, PVE foam is made of synthetic and inorganic materials, meaning that the material itself in not subject to mold. It is worth noting however, that if organic material, like lets say a cricket leg, got near the wet PVE foam, it would inevitably mold. This is because it is made of organic material, but the PVE is not. This situation will apply to all other inorganic materials. For example, if your ants stored their excrement, in their hydrostone nest, the scat would mold, but the hydrostone material would not.

That's actually PVA sponge.
  • jgoogz likes this

#20 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 8 2021 - 10:38 AM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

That's actually PVA sponge.

Correct. It is not Player versus Environment sponge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users