• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Asian Hornets massacring honey bees

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 3 2021 - 4:25 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi, I just saw a really cool clip of Asian hornets destroying a bee colony, but then I thought, isn't that someone's colony? Why would there be no protection against wasps? Is someone getting their commercial hive destroyed and the camera people are just looking? 

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 3 2021 - 8:11 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Hi, I just saw a really cool clip of Asian hornets destroying a bee colony, but then I thought, isn't that someone's colony? Why would there be no protection against wasps? Is someone getting their commercial hive destroyed and the camera people are just looking? 

I think that was actually a wild colony that may have built their nest in a city-like area or maybe near somebody's house. I'm pretty sure there was no protection against the wasps since it could have been an actual colony, and the camera people are just looking because its a nature channel. Also, the bees can protect themselves with heat most of the time. if it was somebody's colony, they either didn't care if the hornets came, or knew that the bees would have a way to defend their colony.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users