• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

tdlnx’s Formica Subsericea Journal

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 2 2021 - 7:58 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I’m starting this journal in anticipation of receiving my starter colony from THA in the next few days. This is my first colony and my first venture into ant keeping as a hobby, so this may work out perfectly or be a disaster. Either way I’ll learn a lot and hopefully some of my discoveries and experiences will help someone else that wants to get in to this super interesting hobby.

As of right now I’ve got a small formicarium by UtahAntShop that I bought from Etsy. It’s pretty small but should be ok for a while based on other journals I’ve read and research I’ve done, and it looks like it’s mostly made from acrylic and plaster so that should handle any acid the ants might leave due to stress. I’ve also ordered some fluon to put around the top of the enclosure after reading about what good climbers formica subsericea are.

I’ve decided to leave out any substrate at first after getting some feedback from other forum members. Depending on how the ants look later I may add some loose sand or something to the outworld and they can bring that into the nest if they feel like it.

Pictures to come soon! I’ll try to update this regularly (once a week or so) with pictures and any notes I happen to think are interesting or educational.

Edited by tdlnx, March 4 2021 - 5:55 AM.

• ANTdrew and UtahAntShop like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2021 - 12:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck!
  • rptraut likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 2 2021 - 3:34 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

good luck! I want to formica sometime.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#4 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 6 2021 - 2:20 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
I got ant-mail today! 🐜

After opening the box I had to do an emergency rescue because the Queen had become trapped in between the cotton and the test tube insert (she seems to be fine, I hope she wasn’t stuck there for long). After making sure everyone in the tube was moving around again I hooked them up to the tiny formicarium that will be their new home.

For now the queen and most of the 8 or so workers are holed up inside the insert, but they’ve been sending out a few at a time to explore. They seemed to get very excited when they discovered the honey water feeder.

I’m going to let them do their thing and hopefully they’ll decide to move in to the new darker nest.

Attached Images

• 3C9EEC73-077C-4D49-A024-4816A5105EC3.jpeg
  • 437B44A9-60BC-4570-8F79-CB72124456BF.jpeg
  • AF57A29C-8005-43A2-B89B-FDCCC7230139.jpeg
  • 467C7D5D-B007-4340-9E7A-4859883AD512.jpeg

Edited by tdlnx, March 6 2021 - 4:08 PM.

• ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 6 2021 - 3:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! Be patient with these, and it will definitely pay off. I lost patience with my colony a few times last year, but now one year later, I can say it was definitely worth it.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 6 2021 - 6:41 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
One more picture because I’m excited. The queen came out of hiding and wandered around the test tube a little bit. Didn’t leave, but it was nice to see her walking around.

Attached Images

• D13527CA-BE3D-41A7-A615-AF949808CB83.jpeg

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2021 - 4:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
These have to be some of the nicest looking queens, and that girl’s gaster is pretty stacked.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#8 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 7 2021 - 4:39 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
I learned my first lesson today: Don’t leave a test tube full of ants on your desk if you have cats!

I came home from running errands to find the tube on the floor and the glass cracked. Luckily none of the ants had escaped since the plastic tubing attached to the tube had bent closed. They looked pretty upset about the whole situation, and since the tube was now cracked and chipped I decided to remove the plastic insert and place it in the outworld of their formicarium.

Hopefully since the nest’s water tower is full and the test tube insert is no longer pressed against damp cotton they will decide to move in to the permanent nest. Has anyone had to “force” a relocation like this? Is there any reason to worry about the colony or is this something they’ll be able to brush off?

*on a happier note, I put a piece of apple in their outworld earlier this morning and it was immediately popular with the scouting party.

Attached Images

• 906C2892-A195-4FDC-ADEF-C24C60D28484.jpeg
  • 7B344CE6-9223-492E-B0D5-07869749C2E2.jpeg
  • FF20B336-5F72-4F69-80E4-11A9D5D293BF.jpeg
  • 0E7AF5EF-D157-408D-AEDC-2F25794B7431.jpeg

• DDD101DDD likes this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2021 - 4:43 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They’ll be fine, but you’ll definitely need to cat proof your setup. It would not harm them in any way to shake them out of the tube into the outworld.
  • tdlnx likes this

#10 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 7 2021 - 4:57 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

They’ll be fine, but you’ll definitely need to cat proof your setup. It would not harm them in any way to shake them out of the tube into the outworld.

Great to know. Yes now they're in a spot much safer so the cats won't be able to get to them. Usually it's not a problem because I keep my office door closed, but of course the one time I forget...

Edited by tdlnx, March 7 2021 - 4:57 PM.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2021 - 5:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank God worse didn’t happen!

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 8 2021 - 7:50 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Thank God worse didn’t happen!

i am pretty amazed worse didn't happen! 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:43 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

maybe keep the cat out of that room

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#14 Offline Canadant - Posted March 8 2021 - 1:36 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Your cat must be jealous of your new pets!
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#15 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 8 2021 - 7:53 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
It would appear so!

A bit of good news I peeked in on them and they’ve completely moved out of the test tube insert and in to the formicarium. The queen has arranged a small pile of eggs on the water tower and I removed the insert from their outworld and replaced it with a couple of fruit flies. They grabbed the flies up immediately! I guess they were hungry.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#16 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 12 2021 - 10:22 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I noticed my first worker casualty this morning, and the colony is now down to 7 workers. I believe it was a fluke because all of the ants are very active and seem healthy, so here’s hoping more deaths don’t follow.

I bought some flightless fruit flies earlier this week and have been dropping in a couple every other day. I originally smashed them first, but yesterday one of them wasn’t dead and the ants wasted no time chasing it down and dragging it back to the nest. The colony seems to really love them. Side note - other people who have raised Formica Subsericea suggest feeding them often: is a fruit fly or two every other day a good amount or should I increase/decrease feeding?

Their liquid feeder’s mesh started to mold a little bit, so I took it out and cleaned it before replacing the honey water with sugar water. I’m planning on buying some sunburst nectar this next week since it seems like everyone here swears by it.

Overall I think the colony is doing alright, here are a couple of new pictures :)

Attached Images

• 2AEF66C7-52FF-4291-A524-4431F1DF056D.jpeg
  • AFCB5D01-68F2-417F-A75F-3A7285813530.jpeg
  • DF3B8A0A-375E-4A48-966D-FBCA73C03C1B.jpeg

• DDD101DDD likes this

#17 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 12 2021 - 9:35 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
I found a cheap desk organizer at the store today ($3!) and it fits my ant supplies pretty nicely. I was able to fit all my forceps, syringes, a couple test tubes, fruit fly bottle, etc.

Attached Images

• 7CF36795-6861-44EC-AA79-34718BBA8E06.jpeg

• AnthonyP163, Canadant and ANTdrew like this

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2021 - 3:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I found a cheap desk organizer at the store today ($3!) and it fits my ant supplies pretty nicely. I was able to fit all my forceps, syringes, a couple test tubes, fruit fly bottle, etc.

Nice! Marie Kondo would be very proud. I suggest adding an aspirator and a magnifying glass if you don’t already have them. Seems like you have a rather large escapee, though!
  • NickAnter likes this

#19 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 13 2021 - 3:49 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Nice! Marie Kondo would be very proud. I suggest adding an aspirator and a magnifying glass if you don’t already have them. Seems like you have a rather large escapee, though!

Ah yea I didn’t even think about those good idea!

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 15 2021 - 3:16 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Just don't breathe in their formic acid. Probably not good for your lungs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users