• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wingless Fruitfly Feeder Systems

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CasiahJade - Posted February 27 2021 - 11:49 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I bought some wingless fruit flies from Josh's Frogs, and my Novomessor colony seems to love them (finally!).  I just have some trouble making sure that the fruit flies only go into the mini-hearth.

But I have an idea and I'd like some input.  I've got tubing that looks like it would go into one of the round sections on the lid of the fruit fly cup and I was thinking about sending the other end down to a connector piece that splits off to an Outworld and the Minihearth.  Coat the inside of the tube with fluon so the ant's can't go up but fruit flies can go down.

I even have a valve that I could use to close off the path way down when I don't want to feed.them.

Take a THA feeder cup and put vinegar in it to attract flies down...  When the fruit fly culture needs to be replaced, I could just change the lid to the new cup.  Thoughts?

Attached Images

• IMG_0891.jpg
  • IMG_0890.jpg
  • IMG_0892.jpg
  • IMG_0889.jpg

• DDD101DDD likes this

#2 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted February 27 2021 - 1:51 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California
Fun contraption! How large is the colony? You may end up with a wildly out of sync fruitfly production to consumption rate.

#3 Offline CasiahJade - Posted February 27 2021 - 1:59 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Its a small colony right now, in large part I think because they didn't seem to like the food offerings before.  But that it one reason to put the valve on, to keep the fruit flies from getting into the ant nest in large number.

Edited by CasiahJade, February 27 2021 - 2:02 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 27 2021 - 2:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Take the fruit fly cup and use a funnel to shake the flies into a test tube. Freeze them and offer as needed to your colony.

Edited by ANTdrew, February 27 2021 - 3:18 PM.

• Scherme and ConcordAntman like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 1 2021 - 8:21 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I like the idea a lot.  if you try it, please keep us updated on how it works for you.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#6 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted March 1 2021 - 8:28 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA
Here's how I do it: Tap them down to the bottom and then shake them into a small cup(similar to one of those small plastic cups) lined with fluon. Then I just put the lid back on and put the ones in the cup in the freezer.
  • ConcordAntman and ANTdrew like this

#7 Offline CasiahJade - Posted March 2 2021 - 7:05 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I like the idea a lot.  if you try it, please keep us updated on how it works for you.

I really want to get a biodiverse set up.  I know I'm basic, having gotten interested in the hobby through AntsCanada showing up in my recommended videos list when I was sick.  But, I'm not going to put my girls at risk.

#8 Offline cap_backfire - Posted March 3 2021 - 9:00 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I'm still so confused.   

What is the risk of feeding live fruit flies?   I am not doing so yet but plan to do so soonish.   Freezing would make it easier to manage but otherwise I don't see the benefit.   

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 3 2021 - 9:13 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I'm still so confused.   

What is the risk of feeding live fruit flies?   I am not doing so yet but plan to do so soonish.   Freezing would make it easier to manage but otherwise I don't see the benefit.   

There isn't really a risk it is just that they can escape easily and they often end up with mites in their set up.

#10 Offline CasiahJade - Posted March 3 2021 - 9:29 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I'm a brewer hobbyist, and I make my own vinegar, so their escaping is concerning.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2021 - 9:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They also harbor grain mites, which freezing can help prevent a bit. Boiling is best, though.
  • ConcordAntman likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#12 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 3 2021 - 9:59 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

They also harbor grain mites, which freezing can help prevent a bit. Boiling is best, though.

^^^ we always point this out because its important. grain mites are disgusting.

• ConcordAntman likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#13 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 3 2021 - 10:10 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I agree with the freeze then flash-boil part but how do you manage that with fruit flies? I admit I didn't figure out the "freeze small lots of 'em first in test tubes" but how do you avoid floating clumps of boiled fruit flies when you flash-boil them? Or what about making boiled fruit fly paste when you try to gather up the flies with forceps??

#14 Offline steelplant - Posted March 3 2021 - 2:15 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I made insect jelly the other day. Didn't have fruit flies unfortunately but boiled up chopped up crickets and mealworms, put it through the tea strainer to remove the exoskeletons (got in trouble), added gelatine and made yummy insect gummi bears. Fruit fly jelly would be lovely. I keep them frozen til needed. Jelly = jello
  • ANTdrew and antsandmore like this

#15 Offline cap_backfire - Posted March 4 2021 - 11:13 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Thanks for the info!   Always a font of information here.  I keep dozens of species of isopods so I know all about grain mites. I would recommend seeding your ant colonies with springtails (even the ones in regular formicaria and not a vivarium type setup).   They help with mold and outcompete these mites, so there's no resources left for them.   Great clean up crew.   

• ConcordAntman and ANTdrew like this

#16 Offline CasiahJade - Posted March 4 2021 - 12:09 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Thanks for the info!   Always a font of information here.  I keep dozens of species of isopods so I know all about grain mites. I would recommend seeding your ant colonies with springtails (even the ones in regular formicaria and not a vivarium type setup).   They help with mold and outcompete these mites, so there's no resources left for them.   Great clean up crew.   

How large should the ant colony be before doing so, and how large of a colony of springtails?

• BugFinder likes this

#17 Offline cap_backfire - Posted March 4 2021 - 1:03 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I have them with all three of my colonies now, two of which are still in the test tube.   The larger colony has decided to leave them be for the most part but the 4 worker colonies have eaten them as far as I can tell.   I put maybe a dozen or so in with the tube colonies and about 50 in with the larger colony.  Initially they feasted on the springtails but have since moved up to getting the occasional isopod or wait for their dubia nymph.  

I am NOT an ant expert by any means, but this has been great for MY three colonies of camponotus.   

#18 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:49 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I have them with all three of my colonies now, two of which are still in the test tube.   The larger colony has decided to leave them be for the most part but the 4 worker colonies have eaten them as far as I can tell.   I put maybe a dozen or so in with the tube colonies and about 50 in with the larger colony.  Initially they feasted on the springtails but have since moved up to getting the occasional isopod or wait for their dubia nymph.  

I am NOT an ant expert by any means, but this has been great for MY three colonies of camponotus.   

can I purchase springtails from you bud?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 5 2021 - 1:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I have springtails for sale. They are a Sinella species that cohabits really well with ants.

#20 Offline CasiahJade - Posted March 5 2021 - 2:00 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

When do you recommend adding springtails to a colony?

I have springtails for sale. They are a Sinella species that cohabits really well with ants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users