• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hypoponera punctatissima

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 7 2020 - 4:39 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Dug up a very small 22 worker colony of these from under a foot or so of soil. Sadly I was unable to locate any obvious gyne or reproductives, so for now this colony will likely be doomed. However considering I've never been able to see a gyne of this species despite multiple very thorough excavations, I decided to keep these guys and see if they can somehow lay eggs. As of now they have a clump of eggs and 4 larvae. They are also covered in some beautiful phoretic mites, which is a nice compensation for the lack of a reproductive.

CSC_5383.JPG

CSC_5384.JPG

CSC_5358.JPG

Edited by ponerinecat, November 7 2020 - 4:40 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and OhNoNotAgain like this

#2 Offline M_Ants - Posted November 7 2020 - 4:51 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Nice. More Hypos! Can you explain Hypoponera reproduction or give me a link to an article explaining it? It appears to be more complex than your average ant with nuptial flights. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 8 2020 - 8:12 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice. More Hypos! Can you explain Hypoponera reproduction or give me a link to an article explaining it? It appears to be more complex than your average ant with nuptial flights. 

It depends on species, but the most complex examples, like the one found in opacior, have normal winged and ergatoid versions of both sexes. Normal males disperse and mate outside(they may also mate inside), winged females either disperse and mate outside or mate inside then disperse, ergatoid males either fight to the death and mate with as many pupoidal females as possible or establish territories and guard the queen pupae they mate with in their territories, and ergatoid queens mate with ergatoid males or maybe the winged males as well. It's pretty complex and depends heavily upon what species in question, some may lack one or more of the sex variants.

#4 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 8 2020 - 8:23 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Honestly I have no idea what you just said

^ ^
/ \ / \
-0- -0-

<____>

I made a cow

Edited by KitsAntVa, November 8 2020 - 8:24 AM.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 8 2020 - 8:44 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Also trying out the automatic feeder on these guys. Just a deli cup filled with carboard with a small hole on the bottom, suspended over the nest with a pair of chopsticks. The feeder is stocked with mostly Sinella curviseta, and the culture is fed a mix of nutritional yeast and various fish foods.

CSC_5405.JPG

They started catching food about 30 minutes later, heres one with a springtail the size of her body.

CSC_5422.JPG

One with the usual Sinella curviseta.

CSC_5429.JPG

I doubt they actually eat very many springtails in the wild. They're not very efficient hunters of the small things and often completely ignore them, sometimes letting them directly into the nest. They probably eat more of worm like prey such as symphylans and diplurans or just dead corpses. I found the remains of a japygid dipluran in their larval chamber as well, so it does seem that way.

• Ants_Dakota and M_Ants like this

#6 Offline M_Ants - Posted November 8 2020 - 9:32 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

It depends on species, but the most complex examples, like the one found in opacior, have normal winged and ergatoid versions of both sexes. Normal males disperse and mate outside(they may also mate inside), winged females either disperse and mate outside or mate inside then disperse, ergatoid males either fight to the death and mate with as many pupoidal females as possible or establish territories and guard the queen pupae they mate with in their territories, and ergatoid queens mate with ergatoid males or maybe the winged males as well. It's pretty complex and depends heavily upon what species in question, some may lack one or more of the sex variants.

Interesting. So my follow up question is do mine do any of this?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 8 2020 - 3:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Interesting. So my follow up question is do mine do any of this?

I believe they have all 4 reprodutives, but I'm not sure on how the ergatoid males act.

#8 Offline M_Ants - Posted November 8 2020 - 7:01 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Cool. I can't wait to have ergatoid queens.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#9 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 9 2020 - 8:32 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Very cool! one day ill catch a queen/colony of Hypoponera but until then i shall just read all the journals :)

My YouTube channel :)

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 9 2020 - 9:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

awesome feeding system! also cool species. so, the colony does have a queen despite the lack of a larger individual?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 9 2020 - 2:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

awesome feeding system! also cool species. so, the colony does have a queen despite the lack of a larger individual?

No idea. Most likely not, but we'll see what happens.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#12 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 9 2020 - 3:51 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Do you know how many workers an average adult hypoponera colony has?

My YouTube channel :)

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 9 2020 - 4:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Do you know how many workers an average adult hypoponera colony has?

Depending on the species and number of gynes, I've seen colonies get a few hundred or so.

#14 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted November 9 2020 - 5:19 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

nice!

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 10 2020 - 9:07 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

would the larvae be males then?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 10 2020 - 1:45 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Who knows. I might've missed the actual gyne or this nest could've been a satellite nest, in which case they're likely worker larvae. It's also possible although extremely unlikely that I do have a reproductive in here, somewhere. If the colony was dying and I just collected the remnants, then they're likely males.

#17 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 3:34 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Who knows. I might've missed the actual gyne or this nest could've been a satellite nest, in which case they're likely worker larvae. It's also possible although extremely unlikely that I do have a reproductive in here, somewhere. If the colony was dying and I just collected the remnants, then they're likely males.

update...?

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users