• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

byFormica Feeders and Large Camponotus Species?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Fatboy40 - Posted February 16 2021 - 9:12 AM

Fatboy40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Personally I prefer physically larger Camponotus species of ants and this naturally leads to a larger worker with a larger head. My colonies are slowly getting bigger and rather than adding Sunburst every few days as a few drops in a small "tray" I'd like to use byFormica's own feeders (which one of my son's uses very successfully for his smaller species of ants).

The feeders I have are the mini and mega, however all are in use by my son, and I note that the mega advice is to use this for only water and personally I've found that if I tried a sugar solution in it it would frequently leak out so either wasting the solution or possibly risking drowning an ant.

I may buy some more mini feeders, however before doing so I'd like to know if anyone else if successfully using mini feeders with larger Camponotus workers (or what the direct advice from byFormica may be on this topic) as I'm concerned that they'll struggle to get their heads in the holes and be able to angle them to be able to drink.

Thank you.

• Scherme likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 16 2021 - 9:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The byFormica feeders work great with basically every species of ant. I can't even imagine trying to keep larger colonies without them.

I actually use the mega size filled with Sunburst for my massive Crematogaster colony because they empty it in just a few days.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Scherme - Posted February 16 2021 - 9:32 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I took out my penns and chromas this weekend to start warming them up and had the same thoughts.

I then took my byFormica feeder and tried to eyeball it to see if their heads would even fit. 

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Even if major workers' heads can't fit, they will be fed by minor workers.

• Scherme likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted February 16 2021 - 10:47 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My ants have no problem drinking from byFormica feeders. I'll even see my novomessor queen drinking strait from it

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#6 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:05 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

My ants have no problem drinking from byFormica feeders. I'll even see my novomessor queen drinking strait from it

wait do novomessor take honey?

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#7 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted February 16 2021 - 11:53 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

wait do novomessor take honey?

Mine don't drink honey. I make sugar water that I feed to all my colonies

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users