• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

are gel farms safe?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline manik - Posted February 13 2021 - 12:37 PM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

hi, the other day i told my wife i was going to get a queen ant when it gets warm, i tough she was going to be nagging at me for getting an ant farm but today she actually gave me a gel one with extra gel kits, but i think  Ants Canada said they were bad for ants on his channel, am i wrong ? as always thanks for the help!

Edited by manik, February 13 2021 - 1:06 PM.

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 13 2021 - 12:45 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Usually people either get the two nests nest if each country, tarheelants and aus ants. Both are great for most species of ants.
We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 13 2021 - 12:55 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Gel farms are super bad for ants. They mold very quickly and don’t actually provide food for the colony. Get something from tar heel ants instead.
  • ANTdrew, MinigunL5 and AleeGuy like this

#4 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 13 2021 - 1:53 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Gel farms are super bad for ants. They mold very quickly and don’t actually provide food for the colony. Get something from tar heel ants instead.

I second this, and want to add that they *very* poorly provide hydration even if there is a way to provide it.
  • MinigunL5 likes this

#5 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 13 2021 - 3:35 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Yes. Gel ant farm are a very poor substitute for a well built formicarium from Tarheel ants, or ants Australia, or some other ant shops. They just are not suitable long-term for a colony with a queen. Though, if you want, you can take out all of the gel and replace it with some substrate like dirt of sand, though this will limit  your visibility of your ants by a lot.

Edited by gs5248, February 14 2021 - 10:55 AM.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#6 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 14 2021 - 12:16 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

That's awesome she put in the effort to surprise you with a gel farm even if they aren't great for ants.  If you want, you could always remove the gel and fill it with local dirt for local ants.

• Enderz, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 2 others like this

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 14 2021 - 1:26 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The kits containing gel sandwiched between two pieces of plastic look very cool and are absolutely fantastic as long as you do not put anything alive in it.

Or, if you want to purchase harvester ant workers online and watch them waste away, digging tunnels to nowhere in aimless misery, the gel kit is an excellent option.  But for a colony with a queen?  No.

• Fatatoille and AleeGuy like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 14 2021 - 5:27 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Dude, it’s Valentines Day! Thank your wife then place your order with Tar Heel Ants and you’re good to go (y)

• ANTdrew and MinigunL5 like this

#9 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted February 14 2021 - 6:42 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I will say I saw a gel ant farm at someone's house once and it did LOOK very cool. I could see it being an interesting introduction to young kids - though frankly, I think dirt/sand set-ups are better and less gross for that purpose, though not as "space ship" like.

I would NEVER use one for a colony with a queen. Even with just workers I feel bad for them. Having recently bought some of those Uncle Milton ants, I watched the Pogonomyrmex working and grooming each other and burying their dead one by one. The only good thing is they are wild-caught and so the ones who get caught are generally older and have lived out happier days in the ant nursery.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#10 Offline Barristan - Posted February 14 2021 - 10:11 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Gel farms are fine, if you remove all the gel and replace it with sand/loam mixture ;)

#11 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted February 15 2021 - 2:49 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
If there was a list of deadly ant keeping sins gel farms would be up there for sure. lol

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 15 2021 - 12:01 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

gel farms always seem to mold as well, even though they say they will not.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 15 2021 - 3:52 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Wasn't the gel used by NASA for ant experiments in space? I don't remember where I heard that, but if it is true then the results were not a good example of how well they could survive.

#14 Offline UtahAnts - Posted February 15 2021 - 4:24 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I once had a customer who had a spare gel farm, and they actually took the gel out and put it into the formicarium nest area, to create additional humidity, privacy, and digging medium. The ants still had access to the outworld. I don't know how well it all went because I lost contact with them, but interesting ideas...

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#15 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 15 2021 - 5:47 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

hi, the other day i told my wife i was going to get a queen ant when it gets warm, i tough she was going to be nagging at me for getting an ant farm but today she actually gave me a gel one with extra gel kits, but i think  Ants Canada said they were bad for ants on his channel, am i wrong ? as always thanks for the help!

As people have said they're not too great. Some people say you should repurpose it by filling it with substrate. I think it might be better to repurpose it into an outworld. Then you can connect a test tube to it and have much better visibility than with a dirt-setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users