• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Growing the family > New species recommendation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline alwayslearning - Posted February 11 2021 - 5:01 PM

alwayslearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I hope everyone is well.

I am aware this is an open question (and totally subjective) but, I want to extend the family, add another colony and start with my research. However, I’m sure it will not hurt to read your recommendations or tips.

Currently I have…

1. Myrmecocystus mexicanus: this colony is doing great

2. Novomessor cockerelli

3. Camponotus fragilis: surviving. I inherited this one and it was in bad shape.

I know there are several things that one could consider… Like, if the colony has majors or soldiers, etc, etc, etc, as something different from what I currently have.

So, if you had these 3 colonies (the ones I have) and wanted another one… Which species (and subspecies) would you pick? I live in California and I want non-invasive species. I would use your answers to research. 

I will appreciate any kind of advice or help.

Thanks for your time!

• antsandmore likes this

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 11 2021 - 6:30 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I hope everyone is well.

I am aware this is an open question (and totally subjective) but, I want to extend the family, add another colony and start with my research. However, I’m sure it will not hurt to read your recommendations or tips.

Currently I have…

1. Myrmecocystus mexicanus: this colony is doing great

2. Novomessor cockerelli

3. Camponotus fragilis: surviving. I inherited this one and it was in bad shape.

I know there are several things that one could consider… Like, if the colony has majors or soldiers, etc, etc, etc, as something different from what I currently have.

So, if you had these 3 colonies (the ones I have) and wanted another one… Which species (and subspecies) would you pick? I live in California and I want non-invasive species. I would use your answers to research. 

I will appreciate any kind of advice or help.

Thanks for your time!

I'll be honest, so many ants are awesome the way they are, and I would have so many, maybe even too many choices to pick from. I think I would personally go for acromyrmex or pseudomyrmex, but acromyrmex didn't fly in too  big of numbers, and if they did, they wouldn't have the fungus or are infertile. Pseudomyrmex are rare. I would try to catch queens in the spring or summer, and if you don't like the species, you can probably sell it if they do good and use that money to buy other ants. and also, not many people will actually have things for sale at this point of the year, but sales will gradually go up during spring-fall. maybe I got off topic from your question, and both the ants I stated above aren't that cool for you. then, Pogonomyrmex are pretty cool and easy, but since you have myrmecocystus, you could probably get lots of ants and keep them alive.(man you have a lot of desert species.)

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users