• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

recommended test tubes size?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline manik - Posted February 11 2021 - 5:07 PM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

hi guys, since I'm knew to this i tough i should get ready for this ant season lol, any how i was going to order some test tubes and wanted to see if i can get some input from the experts, thanks everyone for all the help!

Edited by manik, February 11 2021 - 5:12 PM.

#2 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 11 2021 - 5:15 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

For width 16 to 20 millimeters(I use 16mm). For length 150 millimeters. Unless your really clumsy I suggest you get glass test tubes because they scratch less and hold water better.

Here's a good place to buy some in the US:

https://www.kartersc...Tubes_s/129.htm

• manik likes this

#3 Offline manik - Posted February 11 2021 - 5:24 PM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

For width 16 to 20 millimeters(I use 16mm). For length 150 millimeters. Unless your really clumsy I suggest you get glass test tubes because they scratch less and hold water better.

Here's a good place to buy some in the US:

https://www.kartersc...Tubes_s/129.htm

thank you!

#4 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 11 2021 - 10:30 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I second what MinigunL5 said, 16mm would do great for the most sp. and 150mm is the perfect length.

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 12 2021 - 5:48 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yep, 16mm seems to be the standard. The length isn't as important as long as there's enough room for both the ants and a decent amount of water.

• ANTdrew likes this

#6 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 12 2021 - 8:31 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Yep, 16mm seems to be the standard. The length isn't as important as long as there's enough room for both the ants and a decent amount of water.

That's why 150mm is the perfect length. I've had 120 and the water ended in it in like a few months, I know it's a lot but I feel like if you will be keeping dozens-hundreds of colonies then you would probably have to change each colony's test tube every few days or just really often. And if you go for a longer than that, you'll get more cons than pros in my opinion.

#7 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 12 2021 - 9:51 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I did 20 mm, but it seems a little too big, unless you're dealing with a very large species. 16-18 would probably be good.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users