• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

can I keep ants from other states? and am I too old?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline manik - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:16 PM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

him i just turned 34 but always wanted to have at least one ant farm, since I don't have to ask for no body's permission and i actually have 1 extra room at home i though it would be the perfect time so if I'm not tool old, here is my other question.

my job takes me to 3 different states daily, and i tough it would be cool to have something from every state,.. i would catch then when it gets hotter so since there is no shipping, you think it would be ok for to do so?

thank you so much and have a great day

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:31 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, if you want ants from another state just get them. If you want an ant species that isn't in your state, just get it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it! And even this post, the only opinion that matters is your own. Its not like the CIA or FBI is going to show up at your door for some random ant colony, they are busy dealing with leftover 2020 stuff anyway. No one here is your parent or nanny, so you are completely free to do as you wish :)

Edited by Vendayn, February 9 2021 - 1:33 PM.

• manik likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m almost 39, so you’re definitely not too old. If you find queens in other bordering states, I say collect them. Where I live, DC, VA, and MD are all basically one huge mega-city.
  • manik likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline manik - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:38 PM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

Yeah, if you want ants from another state just get them. If you want an ant species that isn't in your state, just get it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it! And even this post, the only opinion that matters is your own. Its not like the CIA or FBI is going to show up at your door for some random ant colony, they are busy dealing with leftover 2020 stuff anyway. No one here is your parent or nanny, so you are completely free to do as you wish :)

that is true thanks a lot

I’m almost 39, so you’re definitely not too old. If you find queens in other bordering states, I say collect them. Where I live, DC, VA, and MD are all basically one huge mega-city.

hey for how long you being doing this? and thanks for the info this helps a lot

#5 Offline CasiahJade - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:40 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

It is, to my understanding, illegal to intentionally bring ants across state lines.

What are the three states you travel to?  I'd look at the list of species that are native in each of those states and grab a colony or three that is native in all three.  Decorate their outworlds to represent the states.

#6 Offline ZTYguy - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:45 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

i mean he could do it if he didn't tell anyone. isn't that how it works. If no one knows then know one suspects.

• TennesseeAnts, Karunisu and manik like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#7 Offline CasiahJade - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:01 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Right, but I don't think we should encourage people to break the law.  If he wants to, that is on him.  But we should inform him of the law, and offer an alternative.

Should someone break the law, and it come back to the forum, those of us who encouraged it could be held liable,

My personal philosophy is to give people the "Best Advice" and let them decide where to deviate.

• TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

#8 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 9 2021 - 6:30 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I'd say really no age is too old (or too young as long as they're responsible enough to keep them), but as for the ants, I'd say it's fine if it generally close to your state of residence, but I wouldn't do it if it was far away (with the exception of if the species is already native to your area)

シグナチャーです。예.

#9 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted February 9 2021 - 7:44 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Yeah, don’t do this. It’s illegal, and if you are found out, you will put a bad name on antkeepers. It’s better to just abide by the regulations, even if the ants aren’t being shipped.

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, February 9 2021 - 7:45 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and CasiahJade like this

My YouTube channel :)

#10 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 9 2021 - 9:33 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Well, I think that no one is to old to start ant-keeping, or a lot of other hobbies for that matter. And about the ants from another state things, and the other users said, it is illegal, so don't think that you should do it, but that is on you. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 10 2021 - 5:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

You would have to apply for a permit to do it legally. Your best bet would be getting a permit (or multiple) for a species (or multiple species) that are present in all of the states you travel to, and you could catch them in any of the states you go to.

Edited by Kaelwizard, February 10 2021 - 7:44 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and manik like this

#12 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 10 2021 - 6:24 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

😳Dude, I’m 68! What do you mean are you too old? But I’d lay off the non-native species :/

• Antkeeper01 and antsandmore like this

#13 Offline Syber_ant - Posted February 10 2021 - 8:36 AM

Syber_ant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBrentwood california

Noone Is too old! 

and Look into the legal aspect of keeping.

To be safe Get a few permits if you want!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#14 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 10 2021 - 9:45 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Yeah, don’t do this. It’s illegal, and if you are found out, you will put a bad name on antkeepers. It’s better to just abide by the regulations, even if the ants aren’t being shipped.

i'd say the diversity of the 3 states would be similar because they are close to each other. this makes me think that you could probably buy ants from your state, and keep them instead of collecting from 3 different states because as mentioned before, illegal.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 10 2021 - 9:48 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

It depends on where you are, Virginia,maryland,washington are all places that I would consider fine to go anting if you lived in any of these places. 

We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted February 10 2021 - 10:57 AM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California

Get the permits and collect away!  My understanding is they are pretty easy to get.  If you don't get the permits it's very unlikely you'll have a problem, just know there are penalties.  If you're just starting out, it makes sense to start with some from your state.  Don't release captive ant colonies regardless, if you must - put them where you got them.

My interest in ants did not pique until I got my daughter an Uncle Milton's Ant Farm, we had so much fun watching them and for me to remember how enjoyable my own ant farms were as a kid.  It was always so disappointing to watch them all die off and see the sad few remaining.  Communities like this make keeping sustainable captive colonies possible for so many.  Now my daughter tells strangers "my dad loves ants, I think they're ok."

Edited by MysticNanitic, February 10 2021 - 11:01 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#17 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted February 10 2021 - 6:43 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Ah to be 34 again ....  :whistle:

• ConcordAntman likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users