• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius niger colonies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alexant - Posted July 19 2015 - 1:28 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Hello everybody, the nuptial flights have finally arrived. I already have a colony from last year with 20 workers but I am not sure is there should be more. Any way, I caught 7 Queens as I didn't have room for any more. All of them are dealates. I had 2 test tubes: a small one and a larger, thicker one. I put two in the smaller and immediately one showed dominance over the other. in the other I put 5. The test tube is rather thick and it prone to flooding. Because of this, it doesn't have a lot of water in it but I already have a sufficient foraging area I can add later, so they can get water. I caught them at about 8pm GMT(I am just outside London, England) and it is currently 10:30am the next morning and there are still no eggs. Fingers crossed.

#2 Offline Barristan - Posted July 19 2015 - 2:14 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Hi,

you should pay attention that Lasius niger is a strictly monogynous ant species so one colony only has one queen. They may found theire colony in pleometrosis but when first workers occur all but one queen will be killed by the workers (or other queen(s))

Edited by Barristan, July 19 2015 - 2:15 AM.

#3 Offline Alexant - Posted July 19 2015 - 3:59 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I Know this but I am just experimenting.

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted July 19 2015 - 12:36 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

sorry queens but....

I has to science.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users