• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant shack formicarium

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 26 2021 - 12:48 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I just got this today ... I was super excited. It was much smaller than I imagined but I'm a little worried.

The glass isn't sealed onto the nest, will they be able to escape that way? The nest itself seems to move a little, will they just go and nest under it? If they do, will they escape through the bottom hydration thing?

And the side isn't glass .. will Fluon work on a texture like that? It's lots of tiny ridges, perfect for climbing.
https://www.etsy.com...t?ref=hp_opfy-3

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 26 2021 - 1:20 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

looks nice, if its a small species i think it will still be fine but if you keep the glass free then they might get crafty and stuff sand under the glass to lift it up. Cough cough this happened to my S. xyloni colony,

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 26 2021 - 2:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It could possibly work fine. Seems like it would be best for larger species like Camponotus or Formica. I recommend gluing the glass in place with 100% silicone (I use Loctite brand from Home Depot), so you can have some peace of mind. Fluon will not work on that back wall, so that’s a terrible design flaw, in my opinion. If you can detach the nest part, I’d recommend making a better outworld of your own where you can use fluon all around. An oil barrier may work? Fluon is superior, though.

Edited by ANTdrew, January 26 2021 - 2:03 PM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 26 2021 - 2:18 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

i second this.

• ANTdrew likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#5 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 26 2021 - 2:47 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Thanks .. I am super disappointed in that back wall .. it really messes it up ..

My main fear is I can't remove the nest but the nest like jiggles .. so my little babies are going to go under it I think. I can't seem to lift the glass, though it wiggles too ..

I just wish it hadn't cost so much .. I feel like I have to use it .. and I love the design .. but I just don't think it will work without lots of silicone.

I really don't have hundred dollars to drop on the good ones but I might need to save up for it.

I have what was supposed to be hydrostone plaster but really is just plaster... but nothing I made came out any good

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 26 2021 - 3:52 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
I tried these outworlds with crematogaster let’s just say the crematogaster didn’t escape but the monomorium did... I suggest this for bigger species as well.
We don’t talk about that

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 26 2021 - 4:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can make you a way better formicarium than that.
  • Devi likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline Devi - Posted January 26 2021 - 4:58 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I'll need to test that out this summer.  If I get an appropriate sized colony, I'll hit you up.  I don't doubt the quality at all, I'm sure it's top-notch. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline Boog - Posted January 26 2021 - 5:02 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
I like the Ant-Shack nests themselves, I’ve got a few but have only used the small nest for a Tapinoma sessile colony which has worked out well. The nest by itself has a snug cover and I didn’t need to glue mine down, but would do so for other species if needed. My ants didn’t like the nest fully hydrated with all cotton saturated so I used water sparingly but you’ll need to test out your ants. I added substrate to a diy outworld that the ants brought into the nest to make it more cozy. I’m thinking about modding future versions of these with a layer of grout and substrate.
I also got one of their large outworlds but the design doesn’t hold up well with lots of gaps that smaller ants could get through. I ended up using it as a spider enclosure instead. If you watch the Ant-Shack YouTube channel, you can see that they used clear tape to hold their outworlds together. Good nests, not so good outworlds, so I avoided the combo version.
  • UtahAnts likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#10 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 26 2021 - 6:12 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

In my experience with ant shack, the nest does move around slightly in the container. Often the ants will go down the sides if the gap is big enough, but the ants were always fine and I had no problem. As far as the glass goes, I have best success removing it with a piece of tape along the surface and then pulling equally on both sides. I have never had problem with ants getting under the glass, including one ravenous tetramorium colony that I used to test the formicariums. Just make sure not to flood the hydration area, as I once lost a Brachymymex to this. I prefer homemade formicarium's and THA products, but I have bought other things like the liquid feeders and test tubes, which are not bad.

Edited by AntsUtah, January 26 2021 - 6:13 PM.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#11 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted January 26 2021 - 10:17 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

From what I've heard in the past, and from what people are saying here. Ant Shack seems pretty bad.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 27 2021 - 3:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Can you return the thing? Get a Tarheel Ants mini-hearth.
  • Scherme, MinigunL5 and Devi like this

#13 Offline Scherme - Posted January 27 2021 - 5:45 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Can you return the thing? Get a Tarheel Ants mini-hearth.

As much as I am for trying out everything, they really are a quality product. I don't think I could afford to upgrade to museum glass with all the bells and whistles every time, but I am glad I am able to experience using one, even if my tetras tried to break out. 

I take a lot of inspiration from the minihearth when thinking about my own projects. 

Not a bad move to own one imo.

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#14 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 27 2021 - 10:43 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Thanks 😊 I have lots to consider ... I xant figure out the hydration on this since the bottom doesn't seem to come off... I don't know how much access they have. I need to play with it more

#15 Offline Canadant - Posted January 30 2021 - 4:22 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
This is similar to the AC hybrid formicaria. I used a small dab of Elmer's white glue in the corners to hold the glass in place. Worked great and was easily able to removed the glass cover when I was done using that formicarium.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#16 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 30 2021 - 8:46 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

This is similar to the AC hybrid formicaria. I used a small dab of Elmer's white glue in the corners to hold the glass in place. Worked great and was easily able to removed the glass cover when I was done using that formicarium.

That might be a good idea .. I realized it's acrylic not glass though.. did you put the glue on the outside?

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 31 2021 - 3:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Use silicone if you go that route, trust me. Some species have no problem chewing through soft glues.

#18 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 31 2021 - 2:45 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

do you have nests in stock again bud?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#19 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 31 2021 - 10:05 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Use silicone if you go that route, trust me. Some species have no problem chewing through soft glues.

Thanks

:-)

Do you have a place where you sell yours?

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2021 - 3:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m making some custom stuff for people on this forum. PM me if you’re intrrested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users