• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any funny anting stories?

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#141 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 25 2021 - 6:30 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Omg that's cruel

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#142 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 26 2021 - 9:23 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Omg that's cruel

what's a cph2201

#143 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 26 2021 - 12:24 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Omg that's cruel

what's a cph2201

It's a phone.

#144 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 26 2021 - 12:58 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

POV:  You're hunting for some lasius hosts when kids start screaming at you to buy apples from them.  

Yeah I hate younger children.  I kid you not, on the other side of the street they had a stand and were just selling apple, noticed me, began screaming, while I tried to walk away pretending not to notice their pleas for money from apples.

• Antkeeper01, KadinB and AntBoi3030 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#145 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted July 1 2021 - 1:13 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Ok so this isn’t a great one but once I was at a beach and flipped over a rock, and under it I saw a queen. It managed to get into a hole in the rock and escape. So what's the logical thing to do? Move on and look for more. But no, I started sort of shaking the rock trying to get it out. I wonder what the people around me were thinking. Didn’t get that queen and am still sad.

Edited by NoveltyAntsYT, July 1 2021 - 1:14 PM.

• cap_backfire and Chickalo like this

#146 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 1 2021 - 3:38 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Ok so this isn’t a great one but once I was at a beach and flipped over a rock, and under it I saw a queen. It managed to get into a hole in the rock and escape. So what's the logical thing to do? Move on and look for more. But no, I started sort of shaking the rock trying to get it out. I wonder what the people around me were thinking. Didn’t get that queen and am still sad.

I can imagine people's faces  :lol:

• ANTS_KL likes this

#147 Offline eea - Posted July 3 2021 - 2:31 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

found a queen right in my front yard but it flew away right before i got test tubes  :*(

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#148 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 3 2021 - 4:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

found a queen right in my front yard but it flew away right before i got test tubes :*(

Basic
  • Chickalo likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#149 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 4 2021 - 12:38 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

POV: You're hunting for some lasius hosts when kids start screaming at you to buy apples from them.
Yeah I hate younger children. I kid you not, on the other side of the street they had a stand and were just selling apple, noticed me, began screaming, while I tried to walk away pretending not to notice their pleas for money from apples.

They are clearly training to become successful business people when they get older with new aggressive marketing strategies.

Edited by strawnkayden1, July 4 2021 - 12:38 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#150 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 4 2021 - 12:55 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

POV: You're hunting for some lasius hosts when kids start screaming at you to buy apples from them.
Yeah I hate younger children. I kid you not, on the other side of the street they had a stand and were just selling apple, noticed me, began screaming, while I tried to walk away pretending not to notice their pleas for money from apples.

They are clearly training to become successful business people when they get older with new aggressive marketing strategies.
If I wanted someone to buy my stuff I would just wait. Like anting.

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#151 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted July 27 2021 - 3:12 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I once was searching for queens in my neighborhood and I saw a big tetromonium colony in a tree in front of someones house so I poured water in the entrance of the colony and it flooded the whole colony. I saw all the workers carrying brood out of the tree. The person who owned the house drove up and came out of his car and was staring at me for a straight 5 minutes and was taking pictures of me. I  felt so uncomfortable. He came up to me and asked what i was doing and i said "collecting queen ants." Right as i saw the queen he asked me to leave. I tried to stall because i needed to catch it. He was death-staring me. So i grabbed the queen with my fingers (probably squishing it) and shoved it into my test tube then bolted.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#152 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted July 27 2021 - 4:08 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

One time i was out anting in black diamond mines with alot of equipment aspirator,foldable shovel,containors,a pocket knife,etc. People thought i was gonna try to kill someone cause i was walking around the trail with a shovel and knife so i got in trouble with the police and park rangers, after i told them my ant antics in the parking lot after the rangers brought me there they burst out laughing and started making fun of me  (n)

Edited by AlexLebedev, July 27 2021 - 4:10 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#153 Offline gs5248 - Posted July 27 2021 - 5:38 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

One time i was out anting in black diamond mines with alot of equipment aspirator,foldable shovel,containors,a pocket knife,etc. People thought i was gonna try to kill someone cause i was walking around the trail with a shovel and knife so i got in trouble with the police and park rangers, after i told them my ant antics in the parking lot after the rangers brought me there they burst out laughing and started making fun of me  (n)

Imagine the humiliation though.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#154 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 27 2021 - 6:06 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I once was searching for queens in my neighborhood and I saw a big tetromonium colony in a tree in front of someones house so I poured water in the entrance of the colony and it flooded the whole colony. I saw all the workers carrying brood out of the tree. The person who owned the house drove up and came out of his car and was staring at me for a straight 5 minutes and was taking pictures of me. I felt so uncomfortable. He came up to me and asked what i was doing and i said "collecting queen ants." Right as i saw the queen he asked me to leave. I tried to stall because i needed to catch it. He was death-staring me. So i grabbed the queen with my fingers (probably squishing it) and shoved it into my test tube then bolted.

I understand with the situation you were in it wouldn’t be possible, but in the future please NEVER collect a queen without also collecting the workers, unless it is caught during a nuptial flight.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#155 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 27 2021 - 10:43 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I once was searching for queens in my neighborhood and I saw a big tetromonium colony in a tree in front of someones house so I poured water in the entrance of the colony and it flooded the whole colony. I saw all the workers carrying brood out of the tree. The person who owned the house drove up and came out of his car and was staring at me for a straight 5 minutes and was taking pictures of me. I felt so uncomfortable. He came up to me and asked what i was doing and i said "collecting queen ants." Right as i saw the queen he asked me to leave. I tried to stall because i needed to catch it. He was death-staring me. So i grabbed the queen with my fingers (probably squishing it) and shoved it into my test tube then bolted.

I understand with the situation you were in it wouldn’t be possible, but in the future please NEVER collect a queen without also collecting the workers, unless it is caught during a nuptial flight.
Unless it’s an invasive species like tetras.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#156 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 28 2021 - 10:15 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Well, yeah but it is still kind of unethical as the queen will most likely die if they are taken from the workers and then the workers will slowly die out.
  • ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#157 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 28 2021 - 10:47 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Well, yeah but it is still kind of unethical as the queen will most likely die if they are taken from the workers and then the workers will slowly die out.

Also if you enter a private property without permit or know the person that owns the property you can get in big trouble (I guess especially in the US) so be careful, you don't know what might would happen, so please be careful!
I am not trying to say that you did anything wrong, you just tried to collect some ants outside of that persons house that probably don't even care about them or even tried to poison/kill them but still its his property and he might get angry or things can go wrong, better not risk it, its not worth it at all.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#158 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 28 2021 - 12:32 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Caught my first queen the other day.. Wasn't even looking.   Had my daughter in the car to take her... somewhere.   Got in the car and a queen ant had basically fallen into the car as I opened the door.   I grabbed her with my fingers, ran back inside (leaving my daughter in the car) to grab my test tube by the door... As I go to dump her in the tube, the queen falls... somewhere.  I look for a minute, realize my daughter is still in the car, and just throw up my hands.  

So... TECHNICALLY I caught a queen.   I did it.   But... not all the way.   Like.... 75%.  Solid D.  

Edited by cap_backfire, July 28 2021 - 12:34 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#159 Offline antgallery - Posted July 28 2021 - 8:16 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Caught my first queen the other day.. Wasn't even looking.   Had my daughter in the car to take her... somewhere.   Got in the car and a queen ant had basically fallen into the car as I opened the door.   I grabbed her with my fingers, ran back inside (leaving my daughter in the car) to grab my test tube by the door... As I go to dump her in the tube, the queen falls... somewhere.  I look for a minute, realize my daughter is still in the car, and just throw up my hands.  

So... TECHNICALLY I caught a queen.   I did it.   But... not all the way.   Like.... 75%.  Solid D.  

Why is this so relatable???

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#160 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 29 2021 - 6:28 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Why is this so relatable???

HAHAH, the struggle is real, apparently.   By guesses from my fairly detailed description to my own personal expert, it was probably a Formica species.   She had SUCH a cool caramel color, almost transluscent.   I was SO frickin excited.   Ugh.   

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users