• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any funny anting stories?

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#81 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 26 2021 - 9:28 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

This isn't anting but one time my brother was rescuing a juvie Avicularia from a pet store and he had to box it (they put them in boxes when selling for some reason) and do everything himself because the employees were screaming their heads off. That's probably why they keep their arachnids in a critter keeper within a empty terrarium.

yeah, the people who actually work at pet stores are only experienced in fish or your "everyday pets": Dogs and cats. The whole reason most of them actually work there is to see dogs and cats that just make them happy, instead of actually helping people. And yes, they do have some experienced employees that know what to do when a reptile or tarantula gets loose, but they just happened to be on vacation that day. 

• Chickalo likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#82 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 26 2021 - 10:38 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

This isn't anting but one time my brother was rescuing a juvie Avicularia from a pet store and he had to box it (they put them in boxes when selling for some reason) and do everything himself because the employees were screaming their heads off. That's probably why they keep their arachnids in a critter keeper within a empty terrarium.

yeah, the people who actually work at pet stores are only experienced in fish or your "everyday pets": Dogs and cats. The whole reason most of them actually work there is to see dogs and cats that just make them happy, instead of actually helping people. And yes, they do have some experienced employees that know what to do when a reptile or tarantula gets loose, but they just happened to be on vacation that day. 

Yeah they were literally hiding behind my brother. They were adults cowering behind a teenager.

#83 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 26 2021 - 10:45 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

By looking at someone or something I can almost find out the age, personality, and whatever just like that. you could say its my thing that no one knows about, if i knew what that avic was like I might have even held it for them. honestly I may have even fed it in my hand even if it bit me i doubt it would hurt as much as some other stings and bites I've had.

• Chickalo likes this
We don’t talk about that

#84 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 26 2021 - 12:00 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Yeah they were literally hiding behind my brother. They were adults cowering behind a teenager.

yep, and if your brother didn't get paid $100 for saving them from their crisis, Then I don't know what they are doing right now. Actually, they are probably screaming as they accidentally let another animal loose in their own irresponsible manner.

Ants I am keeping:

#85 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 3 2021 - 5:27 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Big bruh lmao, I only buy from petco if I need an aquarium or feeders, usually I'll buy of amazon or look around the house for stuff to use

シグナチャーです。예.

#86 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 3 2021 - 8:25 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Big bruh lmao, I only buy from petco if I need an aquarium or feeders, usually I'll buy of amazon or look around the house for stuff to use

tbh, petco does horrible work with anything. they clump up leapord geckos, they sell things they don't know how to properly care for, and their feeders are all dead by the time you want to get them. I only use them for emergency(?) situations.

• Chickalo likes this

Ants I am keeping:

#87 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 3 2021 - 9:12 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Not had too many bad experiences with Petco, however, the nosy clerks are certainly a bit annoying. Thankfully, the last few times, I haven't been asked what the mealworms were for haha.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#88 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted February 3 2021 - 10:23 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
I got pulled over by a cop when I went out anting at 2:00 AM. He asked me all the basic questions then had to drive me back home where I had to explain to my half-asleep dad why there was a cop outside. As you might assume he wasn’t too happy. Guess the tetras getting ready for their flights finally had enough and called the cops...

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, February 3 2021 - 10:24 AM.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, NickAnter and 3 others like this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#89 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 3 2021 - 4:09 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I got pulled over by a cop when I went out anting at 2:00 AM. He asked me all the basic questions then had to drive me back home where I had to explain to my half-asleep dad why there was a cop outside. As you might assume he wasn’t too happy. Guess the tetras getting ready for their flights finally had enough and called the cops...

All too relatable. I've been out early morning for Tetramorium flights the past few years and I've been lucky enough to not get stopped so far, haha.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#90 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted February 3 2021 - 10:30 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

A fact- u feels embarrased when ur brother shouts in his online class that  'my brother keeps roaches for his ants'. can't wait to meet his classmates. %)

#91 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted February 4 2021 - 12:06 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
On the topic of Petco I was looking for something in the store but I don’t remember what when I see this hair ball thing under the shelf. I bend down to see what it is and its a freaking snake with dust and hair on it and I’m like omg these people are idiots. I tell the people that work there and it gets solved in the end but why the heck was there a snake just scurrying about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by strawnkayden1, February 4 2021 - 12:08 AM.

#92 Offline Scherme - Posted February 4 2021 - 3:38 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

oh this is embarrassing antING stories. Nah most of my anting is done in my back yard. 

Edited by Scherme, February 4 2021 - 3:43 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Chickalo like this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#93 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 4 2021 - 3:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

oh this is embarrassing antING stories. Nah most of my anting is done in my back yard.

The benefit of being our age is that you don’t give a crap what other people think about your hobbies. Most people find it interesting or even endearing that I’m obsessed with ants.
  • Scherme likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#94 Offline FSTP - Posted February 4 2021 - 3:56 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I have a few stories. Non of them as funny as falling on my back and yelling "MY QUEEN!!!". That's so funny, I can only imagine what onlookers must have thought. 

I've had the cops and the fire department/ambulance called on my on several occasions. One of the places I used to go anting was on the side of a fairly busy highway next to an orchard. Several times I've had cars pull over and ask if I'm ok and need help. For those that don't already know, I'm in a wheelchair. So the sight of some guy in a wheelchair hunched over looking at the ground on the side of the road I guess concerned a few people. Understandable I guess and I appreciate the concern but after a few times it really got bothersome. Another time at the same side of the road anting place. I'm just anting minding my own business and a cop car, a fire truck, and an ambulance come racing toward me with sirens blaring. Then the cop was the first to talk to me and said they got a call about a man in a wheelchair passed out on the side of the road. So I guess someone saw me hunched over looking at the ground and called them. Then when I explained to the cop what I was doing I don't think he believed me at first, because he wanted to look in my bag and then I had to further explain what all the test tubes were for (this was earlier in my anting days when I still anted with test tubes. Now I just use small plastic snap cap type containers). Once I finally convinced them I was ok and that I really was just anting the fire truck and ambulance left but the cop stayed to lecture me on how dangerous anting on the side of the road is and that I shouldn't risk my life for some stupid ants. While I can see his point, imo I wasn't that close to the road and was closer to the orchard. Another time at the same place, a cop that was just driving by pulled over to see if I was ok. This officer was much more friendly and once I told him what I was doing he even started looking around himself for about 5 minutes as if he was trying to help me find ants. Then he said good luck and stay safe and then he left. 

I also have had run ins with homeless type people. Usually they just ask what I'm doing and I tell them and try to run away from them as fast as possible, I've had some bad experiences with homeless so I'm a bit anxious when they approach me. However this one time I was anting at one of my favorite urban anting spots by this small airport and this homeless lady whos walking down the street comes and asks what I'm looking for. I tell her I'm looking for queen ants and she gets super inquisitive. She asked me if they're worth anything and I tell her yeah I sell them sometimes, she asks what I've sold them for and she freaks out. "You can get that much for one ant!???" then she seemed to joke that now she's going to start looking for ants. I didn't think she was serious. But then about 15 minutes later she comes walking towards me with her hand clenched and shows me an ant asking if its a queen, it wasn't. She then  threw it on the ground and walked away. After that I left, I didn't want to be bothered with her asking me if random worker ants were queens. Its funny I always wonder, like, if she did manage to get a queen who and how is she going to sell it? Now I just picture her on some seedy street corner pushing ant queens...lol. 

You guys mentioned PetCo encounters. One of the times I was buying crickets, the girl that got them for me asked what I was feeding. I told her ants, and she goto really excited. She proceeded to tell me about this "really cool youtube channel you just have to check out, its called AntsCanada!" and then she starts telling me about it as if I've never heard of AC in my life. Then I finally interrupt her to tell her I have seen AC before and know what it is. Even after telling her that she still told me "yeah its great you should really check it out! 

I have some other anting stories that are fun, but I've already made to long a post. But I have one more that's somewhat interesting if anyone wants to hear.

Edited by FSTP, February 4 2021 - 4:00 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Pumpkin_Loves_Ants and 2 others like this

#95 Offline Scherme - Posted February 4 2021 - 4:20 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

The benefit of being our age is that you don’t give a crap what other people think about your hobbies. Most people find it interesting or even endearing that I’m obsessed with ants.

Very true. I mostly only contend with my wife's tolerance for my various hobbies and her main problem is the time i spend on them. 

I will say the most awkward thing I have experienced was searching auto parts stores for DEF for my camponotus. I was only searching for a small bottle, which i never ended up finding, but seeing me pull up in a lincoln they were always curious what I needed it for. I wasn't... embarrassed per se, just didn't wanna seem like a nutjob when i said "Its for my ants". I tried to briefly explain to their puzzled faces why my pet ants would need such a thing. 

Ended up with a 4 gallon jug, not sure if there is a shelf life, but I shouldn't be facing that issue for quite some time. 

Edited by Scherme, February 4 2021 - 4:22 AM.

• ANTdrew and Chickalo like this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#96 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 4 2021 - 5:53 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Very true. I mostly only contend with my wife's tolerance for my various hobbies and her main problem is the time i spend on them. 

I will say the most awkward thing I have experienced was searching auto parts stores for DEF for my camponotus. I was only searching for a small bottle, which i never ended up finding, but seeing me pull up in a lincoln they were always curious what I needed it for. I wasn't... embarrassed per se, just didn't wanna seem like a nutjob when i said "Its for my ants". I tried to briefly explain to their puzzled faces why my pet ants would need such a thing. 

Ended up with a 4 gallon jug, not sure if there is a shelf life, but I shouldn't be facing that issue for quite some time. 

id imagine its hard trying to find someone to love who would let you keep roaches in the house lol, i guess you can always just convince, I'm sure given the chance anyone can love ants

Edited by Chickalo, February 4 2021 - 5:53 AM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#97 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 4 2021 - 9:40 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

A fact- u feels embarrased when ur brother shouts in his online class that  'my brother keeps roaches for his ants'. can't wait to meet his classmates. %)

noice.... the kids in my neighborhood know I got ants even tho i never told them I wonder WHO told them (definitely not my brother)

Ants I am keeping:

#98 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 4 2021 - 7:59 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

ok... not an embarassing anting story, but a termiting story from today. I went to catch ants, but instead I found a whole termite colony. There were adults near the trail, and only me and my brother, so we had flipped over the rock, opened our testubes, and started filling it like crazy. I can only imagine what the adults might have thought, but they were probably like 'What are those kids doing?' probably had a good laugh over that. but never knew that going to catch ants/termites with your brother is so fun. so for little brother, not too bad!

Edited by antsandmore, February 4 2021 - 8:00 PM.

• Chickalo likes this

Ants I am keeping:

#99 Offline gs5248 - Posted May 29 2021 - 7:59 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

The other day there was a crap ton of alates on the inside of the classroom I was in, and I ignored my teachers pleads and got the whole class to help me catch them. At least the she was not to mad. We did not even have enough containors, and resorted to making origami boxes and envelopes with tape.

• Chickalo and DaAnt like this

#100 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 30 2021 - 3:35 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

yesterday i was collecting(trying to) a colony of pheidole and my dad started to help me so he bent down, several people pulled over asking if we were ok, we had to explain to them i liked ants, and I just now realize that they must have thought my dad was doing CPR. Bonus my mom jumped when she saw a snake

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users