• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any funny anting stories?

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 22 2021 - 8:39 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Ahaha I just remembered this one. I had just started the ant keeping hobby, and was looking for my first queen ant. I ended up finding a Preno queen at my school (This was when I was in elementary school lol). I was about to catch it but the teacher walked outside and was like, "Leave that ant alone!"

I was like, ok and I stepped away but I was still watching the queen. The teacher said that I couldn't bring the queen into the classroom, and I didn't have any containers outside, so this other person in my class gave me a pencil sharpener to put the queen in, like the ones with the bottom where the pencil scraps fall into.

So I put the queen into the pencil sharpener and went into class. At the end of the day, the teacher saw me with the queen (inside class) and I got a note sent home to my parents lmao

I had to release the queen tho :(

rude!

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#62 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 22 2021 - 8:48 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

You see i'm in high school, my teachers are just meeting me because we changed semesters and my algebra teacher has a assignment where I have to do a 100 word minimum Who Are You thingy. well because I always wait until the last moment to do projects, I had to add keeping ants on there to make up for my 80 words. I'm just waiting for the point when one of my teachers is like ¨I found this really InTreSting, one of your classmates keeps ants guys!¨

At least its advanced math so most of the people are in the grade ahead of me.. 

Edit: another story is one time I was talking to my friends and I just randomly decided to tell one of them I liked ants and she was like ewwww wth. your so wierd lol

Edited by KitsAntVa, January 22 2021 - 8:50 AM.

• Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this
We don’t talk about that

#63 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 22 2021 - 8:52 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

You see i'm in high school, my teachers are just meeting me because we changed semesters and my algebra teacher has a assignment where I have to do a 100 word minimum Who Are You thingy. well because I always wait until the last moment to do projects, I had to add keeping ants on there to make up for my 80 words. I'm just waiting for the point when one of my teachers is like ¨I found this really InTreSting, one of your classmates keeps ants guys!¨

You change teachers when you change semesters? I'm in middle school and we don't do that but idk lol

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, January 22 2021 - 8:52 AM.

• Chickalo likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#64 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 22 2021 - 8:55 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Its like this- We have four classes then after 18 weeks we go into our second classes which is less than usual, I'm pretty sure in middle school I only had 6 classes but now in high school its a mess with classes lol

We don’t talk about that

#65 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 22 2021 - 8:55 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Edit: another story is one time I was talking to my friends and I just randomly decided to tell one of them I liked ants and she was like ewwww wth. your so wierd lol

Not me having a birthday party like 5 years ago and having my bird crash land into one of my friend's cake slice while I'm enthusiastically talking about keeping pet snakes and insects 

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, January 22 2021 - 8:56 AM.

• KitsAntVa, Devi and Chickalo like this

#66 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 9:19 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

When I tell someone I'm looking for ants they become too helpful. Too much questions and they pour out their knowledge. Too uncomfortable.(shudder)

Oh my god yes, there's this one girl at my school, and once I told her I was looking for ants she expected me to spend my whole lunch period with her watching worker ants walk around. I tried to tell her I was looking for queen ants, but she still wanted to spend the whole of lunch looking with me and started talking about the black ants she found at her house and I'm just like

Please go away (But I didn't really say that lul)

those fools

シグナチャーです。예.

#67 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 22 2021 - 4:30 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Girl I like knows I like her but you know, it is what it is, So here is encouragement for all of u. She said “that’s awesome”” amazing” then said “we love ants ”

Edited by KitsAntVa, January 22 2021 - 4:31 PM.

We don’t talk about that

#68 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 22 2021 - 5:38 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Girl I like knows I like her but you know, it is what it is, So here is encouragement for all of u. She said “that’s awesome”” amazing” then said “we love ants ”

Girl I like keeps Ts and is getting into the ant keeping hobby because of me :)

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, January 22 2021 - 9:42 PM.

• Ecthelion likes this

#69 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 22 2021 - 9:31 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Wait... what

We don’t talk about that

#70 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 22 2021 - 9:37 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Wait... what

;)

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, January 23 2021 - 11:25 AM.

#71 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 23 2021 - 9:22 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Wait... what

lol

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#72 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 25 2021 - 5:21 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

this is why i talk to my science teacher about ants via emails
also one time i was at a summer camp and was looking for dem  A N T S  under rocks (there was only two species that i found, tetramorium and either molesta or myrmica, id need to check), and under a rock was a couple of tetra workers, and one of the younger girls (like 7-8), saw me, and said "ew, just ants", and that day my heart broke into 2 100

シグナチャーです。예.

#73 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:39 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

also one time i was at a summer camp and was looking for dem  A N T S  under rocks (there was only two species that i found, tetramorium and either molesta or myrmica, id need to check), and under a rock was a couple of tetra workers, and one of the younger girls (like 7-8), saw me, and said "ew, just ants", and that day my heart broke into 2 100

You have no idea... We went to science camp a few years ago and there were queens everywhere. All the other people were giving me weird looks as I randomly would run over to an area and bend down. I'd imagine I looked quite weird lol because I didn't tell anyone I was catching ants. (Not to mention all the time spent looking for spiders, salamanders, etc. :P )

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, January 25 2021 - 8:40 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#74 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 25 2021 - 9:23 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

You have no idea... We went to science camp a few years ago and there were queens everywhere. All the other people were giving me weird looks as I randomly would run over to an area and bend down. I'd imagine I looked quite weird lol because I didn't tell anyone I was catching ants. (Not to mention all the time spent looking for spiders, salamanders, etc. :P )

wow none of mine are as embarrasing as these

#75 Offline M_Ants - Posted January 25 2021 - 10:17 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

When you go to the local pottery supply store and ask for firebrick and the guys asks, "What's it for?" and you say a formicarium and he gives you the weirdest look while you pray he doesn't ask any more questions....

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#76 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 25 2021 - 10:22 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Ok i'll tell you all a great story.                                                                       [insert timelapse of everytime i've been out of my house since i started anting]

• Swirlysnowflake and Antkeeper01 like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#77 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 25 2021 - 11:37 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

I TOTALLY FORGOT THIS STORY 0:
so i was in petco, and i asked one of the guys if i could have couple of mealworms and crickets to see which my Camponotus colony liked better (they liked mealworms better, incase you were wondering), and this guy was like "what reptiles are you keeping?" and i was like bruh- and i told him i kept ants and he gave me the strangest look, and a month later i went to buy mealworms, and the same dude appeared and said "have you gotten new ants yet?", so i explained to him how colonies work, and the whole time i just wanted to leave with some mealworms, man

Edited by Chickalo, January 25 2021 - 11:38 AM.

• AntsMaryland, Swirlysnowflake and Antkeeper01 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#78 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 25 2021 - 12:09 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I TOTALLY FORGOT THIS STORY 0:
so i was in petco, and i asked one of the guys if i could have couple of mealworms and crickets to see which my Camponotus colony liked better (they liked mealworms better, incase you were wondering), and this guy was like "what reptiles are you keeping?" and i was like bruh- and i told him i kept ants and he gave me the strangest look, and a month later i went to buy mealworms, and the same dude appeared and said "have you gotten new ants yet?", so i explained to him how colonies work, and the whole time i just wanted to leave with some mealworms, man

Just my opinion, people at pet stores are too friendly. I don't want to have a discussion with you about my ants, please just give me my crickets and let me leave ; _ ;

• FSTP, NickAnter and Chickalo like this

#79 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 25 2021 - 12:46 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Back when I had a avic this man on petco face skull tattoo and everything and I said I was getting crickets for my avic and he was like 0_0 no I don’t mess with those keep them away from me. And my ants this girl was like what are you buying these crickets and mealworms for and I was like ants and she said oh that’s cool but there were so many people around so I was like please :stop:
  • Swirlysnowflake and Chickalo like this
We don’t talk about that

#80 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 26 2021 - 5:04 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

This isn't anting but one time my brother was rescuing a juvie Avicularia from a pet store and he had to box it (they put them in boxes when selling for some reason) and do everything himself because the employees were screaming their heads off. That's probably why they keep their arachnids in a critter keeper within a empty terrarium.

• TennesseeAnts and Chickalo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users