• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stennama sp.(discontinued, for now)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WSantkeeper - Posted January 14 2021 - 10:24 AM

WSantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBellevue, Washington

I caught this queen last year in the middle of October. She has always liked to forage, but doesn't seem to accept the food I give her. She was just taken out of diapause. Pics coming soon. 

Any suggestions on what I should feed her? She is really small(about 4 millimetres).   

Edited by WSantkeeper, February 9 2021 - 10:29 AM.

Queens I keep:

Camponotus sp.

Formica sp.

Unknown queen ant sp.

1 parasitic Formica queen!

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 14 2021 - 10:38 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Keep it arid like apheanogaster termites, honey, crickets is what mine eats. I’ve also had a hard time finding what to feed her.
We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 14 2021 - 11:01 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I would give her a chopped up bug like a superworm of cricket or roach. Then give her a liquid feeder.

• WSantkeeper likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Offline WSantkeeper - Posted January 14 2021 - 11:21 AM

WSantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Okay thanks! I'll try to find termites.

Queens I keep:

Camponotus sp.

Formica sp.

Unknown queen ant sp.

#5 Offline WSantkeeper - Posted January 30 2021 - 9:42 AM

WSantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Update:

First, in journals, is there a specific button for updates? Or do you just give your updates as a reply? And how do you discontinue a journal? 

Well, bad news. The Stennama queen bit the dust. I've never said so in my journal, but gave the queen to a good friend of mine to for two weeks. I should have known better, since he squished his Lasius queen on accident, and he sort of allowed his brother to kill a Camponotus queen I gifted to him. Oh, and he also killed a Formica pacifica queen I gave to him. Call me an idiot if you want. :ugone2far:

So, this journal is discontinued for now. I will updated it when i catch more queens this real in early fall.  

Edited by WSantkeeper, January 30 2021 - 9:42 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Queens I keep:

Camponotus sp.

Formica sp.

Unknown queen ant sp.

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 30 2021 - 10:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Update:

First, in journals, is there a specific button for updates? Or do you just give your updates as a reply? And how do you discontinue a journal? 

Well, bad news. The Stennama queen bit the dust. I've never said so in my journal, but gave the queen to a good friend of mine to for two weeks. I should have known better, since he squished his Lasius queen on accident, and he sort of allowed his brother to kill a Camponotus queen I gifted to him. Oh, and he also killed a Formica pacifica queen I gave to him. Call me an idiot if you want. :ugone2far:

So, this journal is discontinued for now. I will updated it when i catch more queens this real in early fall.  

F. pacifica is my favorite NW ant species. I've got a 1.5k worker mature colony that I raised from a single queen in July of 2016. Since I moved out-of-state, I've left her and her colony in the care of a trusted friend until I can get a permit to bring them over here. 

Edited by TennesseeAnts, January 30 2021 - 10:25 AM.

#7 Offline WSantkeeper - Posted February 1 2021 - 8:07 AM

WSantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

F. pacifica is my favorite NW ant species. I've got a 1.5k worker mature colony that I raised from a single queen in July of 2016. Since I moved out-of-state, I've left her and her colony in the care of a trusted friend until I can get a permit to bring them over here. 

Nice... I plan to get some this year.

Queens I keep:

Camponotus sp.

Formica sp.

Unknown queen ant sp.

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 1 2021 - 8:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Nice... I plan to get some this year.

If you catch more than one queen, keep them separate. Trust me, the result of a pleometrotic founding is both queens dead. I tried multiple times to get them to cooperate past nantitics, but it never worked. :lol:

#9 Offline WSantkeeper - Posted February 1 2021 - 9:03 AM

WSantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

I tried doing that last year, but the queens ripped each other to bits after a week.  

Queens I keep:

Camponotus sp.

Formica sp.

Unknown queen ant sp.

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 1 2021 - 9:42 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I tried doing that last year, but the queens ripped each other to bits after a week.  

Yeah, usually I was lucky for them to cooperate even to the first nanitics! The queens really do hate each other.

• WSantkeeper likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users