• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trap jaw Ant queen feeding and care.

trapjaw trap jaw trap jaw ant queen trap jaw ants queen ants ants antssoutheast id

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsSoutheast - Posted January 11 2021 - 11:48 PM

AntsSoutheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi! How do I feed my trap jaw ant queen? She has not been eating since I caught her and fed her a small caterpillar icon_e_sad.gif . She also doesn't have any eggs icon_e_confused.gif . She is a queen caught in Quezon City, Philippines at 12:00 Midnight. Also can I have an ID of what species of trap jaw. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think it is Odontomachus infandus. icon_e_smile.gif . 

Attached Images

• IMG_7636.jpg
  • IMG_7617.jpg
  • IMG_7637.jpg

~ AntsSoutheast

#2 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted January 12 2021 - 12:11 AM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

I would say try termites or small spiders. Small insects are what trap jaws love.It is tough to grow a colony of trap jaws from a single queen.
And she may not be mated cause of the wings.

Edited by DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL, January 12 2021 - 12:12 AM.

• antsandmore likes this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 12 2021 - 5:15 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

She'll need insects and a sugar source like fruit or sugar water. She may not be fertile, and it is possible that is why she still has wings, but that is not the best indicator by any means.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 12 2021 - 5:20 AM.

#4 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted January 12 2021 - 6:10 AM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

She'll need insects and a sugar source like fruit or sugar water. She may not be fertile, and it is possible that is why she still has wings, but that is not the best indicator by any means.

I don't think that sp.of trap jaw accepts sugary substances.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 12 2021 - 7:19 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

All ants need some source of sugar. For trap jaws I see fruit being offered a lot.

#6 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 8:20 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

yep, termites, fruit flies, small insects you can find. Caterpillars may be too big. Also, try to leave them in the outworld to let her forage(please correct me if i'm wrong.)

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#7 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted January 12 2021 - 7:53 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

All ants need some source of sugar. For trap jaws I see fruit being offered a lot.

Many species of odontomachus are carnivores.

#8 Offline AntsSoutheast - Posted January 13 2021 - 9:06 PM

AntsSoutheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

yep, termites, fruit flies, small insects you can find. Caterpillars may be too big. Also, try to leave them in the outworld to let her forage(please correct me if i'm wrong.)

It was a small caterpillar, smaller than her head.

~ AntsSoutheast

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 14 2021 - 6:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

They don't know the species 100%, so it would be advisable to give the queen a sugar source to gauge her reaction.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 14 2021 - 6:37 AM.

#10 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted January 14 2021 - 7:36 AM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

They don't know the species 100%, so it would be advisable to give the queen a sugar source to gauge her reaction.

Try it out ,but I'm pretty sure she won't accept.

#11 Offline Amatty76 - Posted January 18 2021 - 11:24 PM

Amatty76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationFort Atkinson, Wisconsin, USA

Odontomachus will drink sugars, but they’re not really needed. I’ve even observed mine doing trophallaxis and storing sugars using substrate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trapjaw, trap jaw, trap jaw ant queen, trap jaw ants, queen ants, ants, antssoutheast, id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users