• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it too late to put queens together?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted February 15 2022 - 11:55 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
The nuptial flights were very late last year, so by the time they needed to go into hibernation, almost all of my Lasius Flavus queens only had larvae, no pupae or workers. I have all the queens alone in test tubes.

They've been out of hibernation for a week or so now, and many of them need new test tubes. I'm wondering if it's too late to create a couple colonies with 3 queens by putting some of these queens + brood together in a new tube? Or will they show aggression to each other?

#2 Offline NikolaBale - Posted February 16 2022 - 5:35 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

The nuptial flights were very late last year, so by the time they needed to go into hibernation, almost all of my Lasius Flavus queens only had larvae, no pupae or workers. I have all the queens alone in test tubes.

They've been out of hibernation for a week or so now, and many of them need new test tubes. I'm wondering if it's too late to create a couple colonies with 3 queens by putting some of these queens + brood together in a new tube? Or will they show aggression to each other?

Most likely yes.I would not recommend it.Most polygynous colonies are formed through pleometrosis...And that's before the first eggs are laid.What you could do it take the pupa of two queens and brood boost one queen.

Even if you put them together there is a chance they fight after the firts workers arrive and then you will be left with one.

Edited by NikolaBale, February 16 2022 - 5:36 AM.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 16 2022 - 7:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Sell the extra colonies. Make money, not mutinies.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 16 2022 - 10:27 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The nuptial flights were very late last year, so by the time they needed to go into hibernation, almost all of my Lasius flavus queens only had larvae, no pupae or workers. I have all the queens alone in test tubes.

It is not too late to combine them. However, it is unlikely that they will continue working together as L. flavus is usually pleometrotic unless you are in one of the polygynous populations.

Antdrew, L. flavus founding queens go for barely anything in Europe.

#5 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 19 2022 - 12:46 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Sell the extra colonies. Make money, not mutinies.

yeah, then buy a mini hearth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users