• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What kinda ant is this?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted January 6 2021 - 9:27 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Here is an ant probably worker cause I saw another such ant near the place I caught this one, though at first I thought it was a queen.
Found under a log.

20201219 164111

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 7 2021 - 5:48 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I need a better picture of the thorax, not to identify it but I think it may be a queen because of the thorax shape.

We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 7 2021 - 6:35 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I believe it is some kind of ponerine. Not sure what genus.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 7 2021 - 8:47 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
That might actually be a queen, and it appears to be a ponerine.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 7 2021 - 9:05 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I see wing scars. Congrats.

#6 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 7 2021 - 10:58 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Here is an ant probably worker cause I saw another such ant near the place I caught this one, though at first I thought it was a queen.
Found under a log.

you should have caught the other one too because if this is a queen, that would probably be a queen

• Antkeeper01 and ParadoxAnts like this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#7 Offline ParadoxAnts - Posted January 7 2021 - 11:00 AM

ParadoxAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Those mandibles look vicious. I imagine the bite would not feel good 

• Devi and Antkeeper01 like this

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 7 2021 - 12:37 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I'm guessing that both the ants he saw were queens founding together. Pleometrosis is known in ponerines.

#9 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted January 7 2021 - 6:57 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Oh but I kept her for like 2 weeks and still I can't see eggs.

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 8 2021 - 4:12 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Oh but I kept her for like 2 weeks and still I can't see eggs.

She could just be taking a while to lay. It's definitely a queen though. If you zoom in on the pic you can see wing scars. It's also just really bulky compared to what a worker would most likely look like.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 8 2021 - 4:13 AM.

#11 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 8 2021 - 6:25 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

You need to feed her

• Antkeeper01 likes this
We don’t talk about that

#12 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 8 2021 - 11:50 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Not a queen. The eyes are too small, ommatidia are not present, and the layout of the mesosoma is all off, with the pronotum being too large, and the overall mesosoma being too small. For species, I'd go with Mesoponera melanaris. Even though she is a worker, she may still lay fertile eggs, as Ponerines are less derived in their reproduction. Keep us updated if you do decide to keep her!

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#13 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 8 2021 - 11:55 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Not a queen. The eyes are too small, ommatidia are not present, and the layout of the mesosoma is all off, with the pronotum being too large, and the overall mesosoma being too small. For species, I'd go with Mesoponera melanaris. Even though she is a worker, she may still lay fertile eggs, as Ponerines are less derived in their reproduction. Keep us updated if you do decide to keep her!

Huh really? I for sure thought I saw wing scars!

My YouTube channel :)

#14 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 8 2021 - 12:00 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Yeah, Ponerines are tricky. Even I struggle sometimes.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 8 2021 - 12:05 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Yeah, Ponerines are tricky. Even I struggle sometimes.

Jeez. I was so sure too...

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 8 2021 - 2:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How are you separating this from manni? The only notable difference I can find is location, petiole, and size, none of which are very obvious here. As for her caste, I do believe this is a queen. The picture provided is insufficient to derive how large the eyes are, ommatidia not being present makes no sense as ommatidia refers to an individual unit of the compound eye. I can't find any sort of blind Mesoponera, and the species you suggested certainly does have eyes. If you meant ocelli, they are present and one of the only things that are obvious in this picture. They blend in with the head, but can still be seen as bumps on the top of the head. Workers don't have that. Alitrunk proportions look fine to me as well, although admittedly the angle isn't really ideal for comparing something like that.

#17 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 12 2021 - 4:49 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

How are you separating this from manni? The only notable difference I can find is location, petiole, and size, none of which are very obvious here. As for her caste, I do believe this is a queen. The picture provided is insufficient to derive how large the eyes are, ommatidia not being present makes no sense as ommatidia refers to an individual unit of the compound eye. I can't find any sort of blind Mesoponera, and the species you suggested certainly does have eyes. If you meant ocelli, they are present and one of the only things that are obvious in this picture. They blend in with the head, but can still be seen as bumps on the top of the head. Workers don't have that. Alitrunk proportions look fine to me as well, although admittedly the angle isn't really ideal for comparing something like that.

I'm separating this from manni based on location, though I suppose manni is certainly an option here, so it's probably best to leave this at genus for now. And yes, I did mean ocelli. Guess I'm a bit rusty with ant anatomy. I do now see the ocelli you mentioned. I saw those originally, but did not think of them as ocelli, as many of the specimens on AntWeb seem to have something similar. I was referring to this as a queen due to the resemblance of the pronotal and mesonotal dorsum resembling that of other Ponerine workers and due to it's smaller size, but I do see how I could've been wrong here, and this certainly could be a queen. I'd prefer to see some profile shots of the body, but I'd assume this is a queen. Thanks for the correction.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#18 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 12 2021 - 4:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

we still do need a good thorax pic tho..

We don’t talk about that

#19 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted January 24 2021 - 7:56 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Ok here's what happened-

I released the queen, yeah a week before I posted the topic I had released the (queen?)thinking it was a worker.

It was a woods a bit far from my home. Anyway the reason I released it was when I checked the place again I found a another same sp. ant so I thought the ant was a worker and there was a colony nearby .And I came back. Now I think its a queen I went back and searched the same place again and found another(queen?)ant.

I fed it a termite and waiting for eggs(hopefully).And should I start a journal? probably after making sure this is a queen.

#20 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 24 2021 - 8:31 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Ok here's what happened-

I released the queen, yeah a week before I posted the topic I had released the (queen?)thinking it was a worker.

It was a woods a bit far from my home. Anyway the reason I released it was when I checked the place again I found a another same sp. ant so I thought the ant was a worker and there was a colony nearby .And I came back. Now I think its a queen I went back and searched the same place again and found another(queen?)ant.

I fed it a termite and waiting for eggs(hopefully).And should I start a journal? probably after making sure this is a queen.

Do you have any picture of the other queen? And if it is a queen, please do make a journal.

My YouTube channel :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users