• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

UA's Ant Keeping Journal [Discontinued as of 7/12/23]

aphaenogaster camponotus crematogaster formica lasius tapinoma temnothorax tetramorium utah formicariums foranto journal pogonomyrmex pheidole

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 6:19 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Utah Ants' Ant Keeping Journal

-Discontinued as of 7/12/23-

Colonies being featured as of 4/21/2023:

See offshoot journals for continued Cematogaster, Camponotus, Pogonomyrmex and Formica entries.

• Myrmecocystus mexicanus

I'm going to make a journal for all my colonies and a few queens, I'll start off with one of my largest:

I captured this colony about a year ago in a dead log. They had 13 workers and lots of larvae, the eggs and pupae eluded me unfortunately. This colony may have had multiple queens or been polydomous even with it's small numbers. The last time I checked the spot I captured them, workers were still foraging. I know its not common for multi-queen Temnothorax colony's to occur in the wild but those foragers and the missing pupea/eggs (where the queen usually resides), deep under ground made me suspicious.  Since capture they had about 50 larvae they had a population boom this last summer and have a large number of small larvae for next year. These ants grow very slowly (1.5 months) and they love any heat applied to them. I'm going to try heating them regularly in the summer. This colony also has pretty good eyesight and they are comparatively large to other temnothorax species. They eat mainly grubs such as mealworms among other things. Its fascinating to watch them eat because they bore small holes into the exoskeleton of the grub and hollow it out with multiple workers working at once inside it. 

Right now this colony is in hibernation and I plan to keep them this way for at least 2 months. I will update when I take them out and feed them.

*This was the first wood formicarium I'd ever made and I made it in a hurry so that's why it looks like a piece of trash, at least they seem to like it...

Attached Images

• IMG-0008.jpg
  • IMG-0009.jpg
  • IMG-0010.jpg
  • post-5683-0-22151100-1606683415.jpg

Edited by UtahAnts, July 12 2023 - 9:28 AM.

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, mantisgal and 3 others like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 4 2021 - 6:22 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Insert thumbs up gif.

• Antbay likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 4 2021 - 6:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Can you get a close up picture of the queen?? Might be able to help with an ID.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 6:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Polygyne Temnothorax colonies are actually very common. T. curvispinosus are even capable of merging their colonies.

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 6:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Yeah, that would help a lot.

#6 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 6:31 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Polygyne Temnothorax colonies are actually very common. T. curvispinosus are even capable of merging their colonies.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to check that spot again I guess.

I'm going to try to find a macro lens for better pictures, I'm using an old iphone 7 for these. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 6:33 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to check that spot again I guess.

I'm going to try to find a macro lens for better pictures, I'm using an old iphone 7 for these. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lots of light, not too much zoom, and hold the phone about 2.5-3 inches away from the specimens.

#8 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 7:11 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I was looking closer and I found at least 3 extra large larvae! Possibly reproductives? The queen and workers body's are strikingly similar to T. Longispinosus, but they are much redder/browner in color and don't have very pronounced spines at the end of their thorax.

Edited by AntsUtah, January 4 2021 - 7:12 PM.

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 4 2021 - 7:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I was looking closer and I found at least 3 extra large larvae! Possibly reproductives? The queen and workers body's are strikingly similar to T. Longispinosus, but they are much redder/browner in color and don't have very pronounced spines at the end of their thorax.

T. longispinosus was named for their long propodeal spines, so you can rule them out. Can't really do much else without better pics, unfortunately. 

#10 Offline UtahAnts - Posted February 1 2021 - 7:33 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I have more downtime these days and I'm going to start journaling my other species and colonies. Does anyone know how to change the title? Preferably to  "AU's Ant Keeping Journal".  Thanks for any help.

Edited by AntsUtah, February 1 2021 - 7:43 PM.

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2021 - 8:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Click, "edit" on the first post, and then, "full editor". If on mobile, the last step is not necessary.

• UtahAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline UtahAnts - Posted February 12 2021 - 2:36 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Update #1

Colonies In Hibernation:

• Formica cf. Rufa: 4 workers, this queen was caught in july/june, but due to bad chemicals and silica from unwashed firebrick formicariums, all the brood and 5 workers died. They are now in a plaster and sand nest.
  • Temnothorax: (above)
  • Camponotus cf. Modoc Queen
  • Camponotus Hyatti (x2) Both of these colonies doing great with thirteen workers and larvae. 
  • Formica Fusca: Queen

Colonies out of Hibernation:

• Tetramorium Immigrans: 4 workers. This colony was the last of my tetra stock. I sold all the other (9) colonies which were much larger. They were sold to mainly novices though, so these girls were probably the lucky survivors.
  • Crematogaster cf. cerasi: 4 workers, lots of larvae, late start due to the same problem with the Formica, the unwashed firebrick formicariums. 
  • 1 Queen, had a great last year with about 11 nanitics, then they all died too... you guessed it firebrick! Queen still living though, so not a complete loss.
  • Lasius queen

Looking forward to more updates, now that I know that firebrick is toxic when unwashed, I'm looking forward to some large colonies this year. I'll try to update every couple weeks or so.

-thanks

• mantisgal likes this

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#13 Offline UtahAnts - Posted February 28 2021 - 5:20 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Can anyone ID this species of Temnothorax? I finally got a suitable microscope. Head and thorax is red, abdomen is a darkish brown. Workers 2mm-4mm, queen around 6 or 7 mm. To keep the live worker on the slide I used a small circle of olive oil to keep it in one spot which worked surprisingly well for ants that can walk over Vaseline. 

A minor update 2/28/2021:

All the colonies are out of hibernation except for the Formica and unidentified Camponotus colonies. All my queens except for the Formica rufa have larvae! Looking forward to the next few months

Attached Images

• IMG-0414.jpg

• mantisgal likes this

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#14 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 12 2021 - 7:27 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Update #3: 3/12/21

All of the colonies are out of hibernation and growing nicely, this week I'm going to focus on my Temnothorax colony and my Camponotus.

Camponotus Modoc Queen: A nice batch of about 10 small larvae and one large,

Camponotus Hyatti: 12 workers and about 15 larvae, moved into a fresh test-tube recently.

Unidentified Camponotus Colony: Similar to the Hyatti colony, but the queen is smaller and they grow faster and fly later in the season. Have 12 workers and about 15 larvae and also moved into a new tube yesterday. They are third and second to last picture, any help identifying them would be nice.

Temnothorax Nevadensis: This colony looks like they are going to jump in population this year. The formicarium is covered in larvae and small eggs. Last I counted they were at 150 workers, with more than that in larvae. Does anyone else have a large temnothorax colony on this forum?, I'd love to hear about it

Attached Images

• IMG-0434.jpg
  • IMG-0436.jpg
  • IMG-0437 (1).jpg
  • IMG-0438.jpg
  • IMG-0439 (1).jpg

• ANTdrew and mantisgal like this

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#15 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 21 2021 - 5:34 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Update #4:

Here's a quick update on my small colonies of Formica and Crematogaster:

Formica rufa: I moved these girls into a new mini hearth recently, after waiting for them do do it for quite a while. They have 4 workers, and a nice pile of larvae.

Formica Fusca: Single Queen, recently laid a batch of eggs as soon as I warmed her tube up, this is my first fusca queen, so I'm hoping she makes it.

Crematogaster cerasiI fixed their formicarium this week with some perfect cast and hot glue, far from perfect but it'll hold them. The plaster had been degrading from the inside from water, just goes to show that you shouldn't put plaster in direct contact with water if you want it to last more then a couple of months. They have 3 workers, soon to be 8 or 9 with the new pupae.

The single queen I also have is doing fine, she's about to have her 1st second generation worker  :)

Lasius neoniger: This queen has 1 fat larvae, and a pile of eggs. She's in a genesis test tube setup, and it works great and I like the idea of it, but it is hard to constantly close the gap between the insert and the cotton as the cotton retreats farther into the tube. I stopped pushing it, and now the queen lives in the gap  :rolleyes:

Attached Images

• IMG-0468.jpg
  • IMG-0484.jpg

• mantisgal likes this

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#16 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 26 2021 - 6:34 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Update #5:  We got Pupae!!!

Temnothorax Nevadensis: Most of the larvae have pupated and formed large piles of larger Temnothorax workers. The queen has a nice pile of about 50 eggs under her, I can already tell this year is going to be a good one! I feed them a full cricket and/or mealworm every 2 days, and they have a constant supply to honey water and a water test-tube. 

Camponotus Hyatti Colonie #1 and 2: Most of the larvae have reached there maximum size although some are still growing, this next (3rd) generation is going to be larger than the previous by a long shot. The smaller larvea have pupated, and I expect the oldest to eclose in a week!

Camponitus modoc: This queen has a nice pile of large larvae and one, much larger larvae that could possibly be a median nanitic. She hungrily accepted some honey water this week, the first in several weeks, but I could not take pictures of her in fear of disturbing the Formica queen next to her which eats brood easily.

Attached Images

• IMG-0491.jpg
  • IMG-0492.jpg
  • IMG-0494 (1).jpg
  • IMG-0496.jpg

• mantisgal likes this

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#17 Offline UtahAnts - Posted April 18 2021 - 5:19 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Update #6

Just a quick update with some of the fastest growing colonies:

Cremataogaster cerasi: This colony is starting to grow exponentially, 2 weeks ago they were at four workers, then 1 week ago 10, now 20, and a new batch of eggs is clearly visible every few days.

IMG-0778.jpg

Temnothorax nevadensis: All the pupae in the previous post pupated and the colony is now estimated to be more then 100 strong. Around 10 large larvae are visible, most likley elates. I don't know if temnothrax elates can mate in the nest, but I hope to find out

IMG-0779.jpg

Monomorium minimum: I have to admit, this colony was not started from a single queen, rather it is multiple colonies brought together. In my experience, Monomorium minimum is capable of merging colonies with ease. And because this species is very prevalant and somewhat invasive in my area, I have decided to make good use of them. By relocating half of each colony I find into this super colony, I hope to slow the spread of this species in my area. Anyways, this colony has more then 10 queens and a couple hundred workers. The modular petri-dish formicariums I have setup for them work very well, and in my opinion work better then testubes. The only problem is condensation for such small ants, but casualties are minimal, and much less then testube setups.

IMG-0775.jpg

Camponotus Modoc: After a long hibernaiton, the modoc queen finally had her first nanitic as seen below, there's also a good 4 pupae in their mini hearth as well, can't wait to document their growth, and I'd love to hear about any tips or tricks with this species.

IMG-0783 (1).jpg

Attached Images

• IMG-0783.jpg

Edited by AntsUtah, April 18 2021 - 5:21 PM.

• ANTdrew and mantisgal like this

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#18 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 18 2021 - 7:45 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Nice!

• UtahAnts likes this

#19 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 19 2021 - 7:10 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario

Wow so many beautiful babies! I wish your colonies continued success!

• UtahAnts likes this

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 19 2021 - 8:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice work! Why would you want to slow a native Monomorium? They seem to coexist well with other species and fly under the radar by nature.
  • TennesseeAnts and UtahAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphaenogaster, camponotus, crematogaster, formica, lasius, tapinoma, temnothorax, tetramorium, utah, formicariums, foranto, journal, pogonomyrmex, pheidole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users