• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brood boosting a camponotus queen with another species.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted August 4 2017 - 11:46 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

I did try to brood boost my camponotus queen which had 5 workers 3 nanitics and 2 minor workers with pupae from another colony I got (pretty easy thing to do as the ants are using 2 connected test tubes and in one of them they keep pupae along with 5-6 workers which take care of it) , the whole thing went great 

TJjgjSR.jpg

BoAEYRY.jpg

QLVuYtz.jpg

I would like to do another brood boost but this time with some bigger workers from a species like camponotus vagus but I don't know if there is any risk involved like workers killing the queen .

Can you clear this out for me?

• Aquaexploder likes this

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted August 4 2017 - 12:01 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

No, it doesn't work. They smell different, they speak different languages and most likely the ants will just eat the alien pupae.

• TheAnswerIsTheLogic likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 4 2017 - 4:46 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Actually, I have to admit that I was successful with inter-species brood boosting (only within the genus Camponotus). I once took a sickly C. Nearcticus larva to feed my skinnier C. Chromaiodes queen. Surprisingly, the C. Chromaiodes queen took it in and raised it as her own. After the larva made a cocoon, I gave it back to the C. Nearcticus colony. I'm starting to wonder if an egg from the C. Chromaiodes tube got stuck on the cocoon, because there's an egg (not a larva, I checked) about twice the size of the average C. Nearcticus egg.

I think that inter-species brood boosting only works with species of a very similar size. The C. Nearcticus pupa was about the size of a C. Chromaiodes nanitic pupa, and the C. Chromaiodes egg probably is too similar to the other eggs to tell apart.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, August 4 2017 - 4:48 PM.

• TheAnswerIsTheLogic and FeedTheAnts like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#4 Offline Tyler_Fishman - Posted August 4 2017 - 4:54 PM

Tyler_Fishman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
People use thhe callow method when trying to start an lasius claviger colony, which invloves taking pupae from L. Niger or neoniger (I forgot) and putting them with the claviger queen, so its possible, but risky
People use thhe csllow method when trying to start an lasius claviger colony, which invloves taking pupae from L. Niger or neoniger (I forgot) and putting them with the claviger queen, so its possible, but risky

Edited by Tyler_Fishman, August 4 2017 - 4:55 PM.

• TheAnswerIsTheLogic likes this

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 4 2017 - 4:57 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Okay? Lasius Claviger, Umbratus, and other parasitic species are much different than what we are talking about (Camponotus is a non parasitic species).

Edited by Connectimyrmex, August 4 2017 - 4:58 PM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted August 4 2017 - 10:05 PM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

update : 4 more workers from the brood boost hatched today , seems fine even if their size is pretty low : 1 worker =  aprox 1/2 size of the nanitics(which are almost the same size as the minor workers) and 1 major worker is a little lower in length than the nanitics  . If I find some bigger camponotus brood I will most likely try it as it seems like there are no problems by now.

edit: The strange thing is that they took the brood right after they found about it,usually when I try to brood boost a queen after she got workers it would dump the brood into a corner/in the outworld or something like that.

Edited by TheAnswerIsTheLogic, August 4 2017 - 10:09 PM.

• Bobby_Hill likes this

#7 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted August 6 2017 - 7:28 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Added some camponotus vagus pupae , it looks like they took it also they have opened 1 worker I'm going to do some photos tomorrow then the worker is getting darker

• Bobby_Hill likes this

#8 Offline Ameise - Posted August 6 2017 - 2:34 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I've yet to encounter any difficulty brood boosting Camponotus with other Camponotus, even across subgenera... though apparently (I've yet to experience it) once the 'native' worker population builds up, they will usually kill off the 'foreign' workers.

At the moment, though, I only have boosted Camponotus within the same subgenera - my C. chromaiodes has a C. pennsylvanicus worker, but some C. subbarbatus and C. nearcticus brood (from a different subgenera), and my C. subbarbatus queen has 1 boosted C. subbarbatus worker and 1 C. nearcticus worker, both from larva/cocoons, but also has some C. pennsylvanicus brood.

They don't appear to distinguish other than the fact that watching the C. chromaiodes queen tend to a first instar C. nearcticus larva is rather hilarious (the larva is smaller than a chromaiodes egg), and that C. pennsylvanicus final instar larvae are rather... big for C. subbarbatus to move around.

Edited by Ameise, August 6 2017 - 2:37 PM.

#9 Offline Bobby_Hill - Posted January 5 2021 - 10:30 AM

Bobby_Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Will try to boost a camponotus sexguttatus colony with camponotus ineaqualis brood I will keep this updated.

#10 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 5 2021 - 10:40 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Will try to boost a camponotus sexguttatus colony with camponotus ineaqualis brood I will keep this updated.

You should probably make your own thread rather than necroposting

• Manitobant likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#11 Offline Bobby_Hill - Posted January 5 2021 - 10:44 AM

Bobby_Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

You should probably make your own thread rather than necroposting

Will do.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users