• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Spaz's pets: Levi says hello

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 30 2020 - 2:01 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

This is a journal for all of my (non ant) pets, including the pets I'd like to own at some point. 

Past:

Invertebrates: 

Female Chinese praying mantis- Wild caught in 2020, under my care since August. Laid an egg sac and then passed away in October.

Eastern Hercules beetle- found clinging to the side of a Target in Virginia, circa 2012. Liked to burrow and eat watermelon. Under my care for about 4 months. 

Isopods (likely A. vulgare)- tried twice to culture them in October, both failed. 

3 hermit crabs- I had these around 2014, I believe. I would get more but I learned the awful process they go through before being sold, and I don't want to support that by buying any. 

Aquatics: 

Mustard gas betta- Under my care 2019-2020, died from old age. It was 3 or 4 when I bought it. 

Gold fish- Under my care from 2008-around 2011, I don't remember how it died. 

Some sort of small aquatic frogs- I had 3 of these given to me by a friend, and they were pretty awesome. They were really tiny and active. Around 2011-2013.

Blue betta- 2015-2016, died from fin rot that I couldn't cure. It was a Petco fish and was never very healthy.

Purple betta- 2010-2012, I don't remember how it died. 

Present:

Invertebrates: 

Several ant colonies, list in my signature. Mealworm culture (Levi's buffet).

Mammals:

Dog- Golden Doodle (Golden retriever/poodle mix), had her since 2012. Certified Good Dog. 

Reptiles:

Leviticus, my leopard gecko. 

Aquatics: 

Taking a break from aquatic life, I'm terrible at keeping the water in the right parameters. 

Future:

Invertebrates: 

Likely another mantid next year, or maybe hundreds if the ooth I have is fertile.

A tarantula would be cool, but it's not high priority.

Mammals:

Corgi/miniature poodle mix- sometime in these next few years.

Reptiles:

I have purchased a juvenile leopard gecko from Morph Market! I have his enclosure all set up, and he'll arrive Friday at the earliest. Pics to follow!

I'm going to be content with my gecko for quite a while, but I could see myself owning a ball python in the future.

Aquatics:

We'll see. 

This journal is where I'll post any pictures of my non-ant pets, along with updates about them. It won't be updated very frequently, but it'll serve as a timeline for my adventures and misadventures in keeping animals. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Spazmops, March 15 2021 - 1:24 PM.

• Swirlysnowflake and Devi like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#2 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 30 2020 - 3:18 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

About the hermit crabs, there are many associations that have hermit crabs for adoption (people who don’t want their crabs anymore). There’s also one hermit crab breeder. 50 dollars for a baby crab I think. Quite pricey, but considering the fact that this person is the only one who ever managed to breed hermit crabs in captivity...

My YouTube channel :)

#3 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 30 2020 - 3:35 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

This is a journal for all of my (non ant) pets, including the pets I'd like to own at some point. 

Past:

Invertebrates: 

Female Chinese praying mantis- Wild caught in 2020, under my care since August. Laid an egg sac and then passed away in October.

Eastern Hercules beetle- found clinging to the side of a Target in Virginia, circa 2012. Liked to burrow and eat watermelon. Under my care for about 4 months. 

Isopods (likely A. vulgare)- tried twice to culture them in October, both failed. 

3 hermit crabs- I had these around 2014, I believe. I would get more but I learned the awful process they go through before being sold, and I don't want to support that by buying any. 

Aquatics: 

Mustard gas betta- Under my care 2019-2020, died from old age. It was 3 or 4 when I bought it. 

Gold fish- Under my care from 2008-around 2011, I don't remember how it died. 

Some sort of small aquatic frogs- I had 3 of these given to me by a friend, and they were pretty awesome. They were really tiny and active. Around 2011-2013.

Blue betta- 2015-2016, died from fin rot that I couldn't cure. It was a Petco fish and was never very healthy.

Purple betta- 2010-2012, I don't remember how it died. 

Present:

Invertebrates: 

Several ant colonies, list in my signature. 

Mammals:

Dog- Golden Doodle (Golden retriever/poodle mix), had her since 2012. Certified Good Dog. 

Aquatics: 

Taking a break from aquatic life, I'm terrible at keeping the water in the right parameters. 

Future:

Invertebrates: 

A 40-worker P. occidentalis colony I hinted at in my Pogostick journal.

Likely another mantid next year, or maybe hundreds if the ooth I have is fertile.

Perhaps a mealworm culture- You'll see why in the 'reptiles' category of this section

A tarantula would be cool, but it's not high priority.

Mammals:

Corgi/miniature poodle mix- sometime in these next few years.

Reptiles:

I have purchased a juvenile leopard gecko from Morph Market! I have his enclosure all set up, and he'll arrive Friday at the earliest. Pics to follow!

I'm going to be content with my gecko for quite a while, but I could see myself owning a ball python in the future.

Aquatics:

We'll see. 

This journal is where I'll post any pictures of my non-ant pets, along with updates about them. It won't be updated very frequently, but it'll serve as a timeline for my adventures and misadventures in keeping animals. Thanks for reading!

I have a golden doodle named willow!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#4 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 30 2020 - 3:49 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

That's a great name!

Ants I have:

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 31 2020 - 12:48 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Do not keep hermit crabs. Sorry, but I think that needed to be said. They live much shorter lives in captivity than in the wild and they are usually wild caught.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#6 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 31 2020 - 2:01 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Do not keep hermit crabs. Sorry, but I think that needed to be said. They live much shorter lives in captivity than in the wild and they are usually wild caught.

The way they are taken from the wild is cruel too. To get them into the painted shells you usually see them in, their original shells are cracked open, causing them a ton of stress

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 31 2020 - 2:40 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

The way they are taken from the wild is cruel too. To get them into the painted shells you usually see them in, their original shells are cracked open, causing them a ton of stress

And sometimes the paint is toxic, so even worse.

Edit: wait where were hermit crabs even mentioned in Spaz's post?

Edited by Kaelwizard, December 31 2020 - 2:42 PM.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 31 2020 - 2:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wild collecting for the pet trade is wrong. This is why I’m such a vocal opponent of people going out and digging up established ant colonies. I’m hoping that folks who do that will make a resolution to stop in 2021.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline Devi - Posted December 31 2020 - 3:13 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Wild collecting for the pet trade is wrong. This is why I’m such a vocal opponent of people going out and digging up established ant colonies. I’m hoping that folks who do that will make a resolution to stop in 2021.

Proud to say that I have never taken a wild colony.  :)

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 31 2020 - 3:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I applaud you for that!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#11 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 31 2020 - 4:15 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Your S. molesta was collected in the wild.

Ants I have:

#12 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 31 2020 - 4:16 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I know, and I mentioned that in my journal. I never would have gotten them if I knew beforehand, obviously. 

Ants I have:

#13 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 31 2020 - 4:28 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I also wanted to mention that my mantis and my Hercules beetle were wild-caught because I don't see a difference between catching larger insects and catching queen ants, and I also don't collect colonies from the wild (except one time with S. molesta). In no way do I support the capture of anything aside from insects and isopods. Also, both the mantis and beetle died at the natural end of their lifespans, not due to my husbandry. 

It's worth mentioning that in the past I've had a habit of listening to pet stores for information about care, and I'm no longer doing that. I also don't buy from petsmart/petco anymore, and I've done hours of research to give my new leopard gecko the best life possible. 

In short, I've made mistakes but I'm trying to learn from them.

Edited by Spazmops, December 31 2020 - 4:29 PM.

Ants I have:

#14 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 31 2020 - 4:52 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Would you say it’s ok to dig up Argentine ant colonies? Seeing to the fact they are invasive

Edit: Ahh sorry for bringing up other topics on your journal Spazmops 

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, December 31 2020 - 4:52 PM.

#15 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 31 2020 - 5:17 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Would you say it’s ok to dig up Argentine ant colonies? Seeing to the fact they are invasive

I'd dig them up in a heartbeat. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants I have:

#16 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 31 2020 - 5:25 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I'd dig them up in a heartbeat. 

lol. I had found a huge colony. Tons of workers everywhere, I couldn’t find the main nest with queens/brood though  :mad:  :mad:

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 31 2020 - 5:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, no harm in doing that.
  • Spazmops likes this

#18 Offline Devi - Posted December 31 2020 - 7:41 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Your S. molesta was collected in the wild.

Yeah, I forgot about that...  To be fair, I was a beginner then, and I let them go right back where I found them a few days after.  I only captured a few queens and workers out of the hundreds of queens and workers.  Still, no excuse.  

• ANTdrew likes this

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 31 2020 - 9:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s all good. We learn from our mistakes.
  • Devi likes this

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 1 2021 - 8:50 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I highly recommend a tarantula Spaz. They are incredibly easy to keep and fun to feed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users