• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Most underrated ant species?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 18 2020 - 7:24 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
For me the answer would be dolichoderus taschenbergi. They have huge colonies up to 75000 workers that can contain hundreds of queens. They also have massive foraging trails and are aggressive.
  • Ants_Dakota and TechAnt like this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 18 2020 - 8:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Dorymyrmex. They seem perfect to keep yet nobody seems to like them.
  • FSTP, Mettcollsuss, Somethinghmm and 2 others like this

#3 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 18 2020 - 8:50 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

They're the stupidest ants I know of. My D. insanus colony voluntarily stayed in a test tube full of mold and refused to move into a minihearth, causing them to die. They were too small to dump as well, so I couldn't do anything about it.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 18 2020 - 8:58 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Few people are successful with them in the long term, likely due to their sensitivity and pickiness in the early stages. They are also extremely abundant for many people. So, I think the combination of them being fairly difficult to rear but also very common makes them not worth many peoples' time. 

• CheetoLord02 and Ants_Dakota like this

#5 Offline BADANT - Posted December 18 2020 - 9:50 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

I have caught a couple D. insanus each season for a couple of years. The only reason I haven’t kept them, is because they’re so good for beginners I end up selling them to newbies. This year I’m targeting D. bicolor for myself, found a colony last year. I was late and only found one straggler queen, which I gave to the friend that told me of the location.

Just read Aaron’s post, and that seems to be all the more reason. I think I need to keep a colony or two this year to learn these difficulties. Otherwise I’m not doing a newbie any favor at all. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BADANT, December 18 2020 - 9:53 AM.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 18 2020 - 10:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nylanderia deserve way more love than they get. They’re such fun, quirky ants.
  • Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts, Ants_Dakota and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 18 2020 - 12:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I agree. Very easy, fun, ants once you can figure out an escape-proof setup.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 18 2020 - 1:54 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Forelius is also hugely underrated. I've only seen like 1 or 2 people keep them despite them being in almost every US state.
  • TennesseeAnts and TechAnt like this

#9 Offline FSTP - Posted December 18 2020 - 4:11 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Dorymyrmex, My favorite ant. They used to be super abundant where I live but with all the construction and development in my neighborhood area in the last few years they have been displaced by argentines. So now they're a rare treat to behold when I do come across them. Its so interesting and sad to see them diminish in numbers in my immediate area just do to the construction. 

• Somethinghmm and OhNoNotAgain like this

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 18 2020 - 11:41 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Forelius is also hugely underrated. I've only seen like 1 or 2 people keep them despite them being in almost every US state.

I concur. Their growth rate is fairly manageable, too. My colony did really well, until the queen mysteriously died...

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 19 2020 - 7:21 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Lasius neoniger have such pretty queens. Their colonies can be quite impressive when mature as well, as with all Lasius. I think that just because they're common doesn't mean they're boring. That is a biased, narrow-minded opinion.

• TennesseeAnts and WSantkeeper like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 21 2020 - 7:43 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

if you can find them. i have never found any.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline LucaHakase - Posted May 19 2021 - 3:43 PM

LucaHakase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationRoswell, New Mexico

Make that 3  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users