• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TAKE IT DOWN TO GENUS

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:30 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Believe it or not I am stuck on the genus of this girl.  Please throw in your ability to delimit and please if you try just give your step by step reason based on the characters you find to where you place her in a genus. I have two in mind but I  am not telling.

Album: UNKNOWN
8 images
0 comments

To make the "science" in this work here is a link, use it to offer worked out solutions and "walk me through" the key when you think you are certain:

For example:  Number of teeth or dentation of mandible, number of flagella in the funiculas, etc.  You may want to refer to Bolton:

NOTE the flattened base of the scape

Edited by PurdueEntomology, December 11 2020 - 10:47 AM.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

#2 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:33 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

myrmica/Aphenogaster

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:35 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

myrmica/Aphenogaster

Why?  What characters make it either of those two genera?

#4 Offline TechAnt - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:35 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

I agree with Stricky, I am leaning more towards myrmica.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:36 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Why?  I need a step by step "key" based brake down.

#6 Offline Devi - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:37 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

So...

Take my opinion for a grain of salt, but I instantly think of veromessor.  The jaw and eye look very similar, as well as the long legs, hairy haster and segmented mesosoma.  Possibly Veromessor lobognathus?

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:37 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

myrmicia, just looks like it

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#8 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:38 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

I think myrmica because of the texture. Also the head shape and gaster. It also looks pretty leggy and has some aphenogaster characteristics.

#9 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:40 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Why do you want a step by step tutorial on why we think it is myrmicia or apheanogaster or what devi thinks anyway

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#10 Offline TechAnt - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:42 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

When I look at North American Myrmica, I see their large jaws and their hairy bodies. Its gaster shape is also similar to what I picture of North American Myrmica, its body is also a little slender, that's also a characteristic I see of Myrmica. I am not the best at IDs though, just my thoughts.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#11 Offline Devi - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:42 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Why do you want a step by step tutorial on why we think it is myrmicia or apheanogaster or what devi thinks anyway

No I get it...  Helps to make a final deduction.

#12 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 11 2020 - 10:42 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Because I have gone through two keys, the ones I posted with images above and I and a systematists here on campus,  we have gotten mixed outcomes, so I want to see if perhaps I am not seeing something that others are.

Otherwise, I do appreciate the efforts provided.

Edited by PurdueEntomology, December 11 2020 - 10:44 AM.

• Devi likes this

#13 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted December 11 2020 - 11:00 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I followed the key you sent and it brought me to Leptothorax. I probably messed up somehow but this is what I went though.

1. Antenna with 11 segments, apical club variable => 2

2. Postpetiole attached to anterior face of following abdominal segment 4 (AA) and not capable of flexing upwards over dorsal surface of body. Petiole nearly always with distinct dorsal node (BB). If node absent (Xenomyrmex), petiole not strongly flattened => 3

3. With head in side view, lacking diagonal carina running from the mandible insertions to above the eye (AA), though longitudinal rugae may be present on sides and front of head. Antenna often with a 2- or 3-segmented club (BB). Head and body usually lacking tubercles, but spines or teeth may be present (CC) => 8

4. Frontal carinae not greatly expanded to cover the sides of the head in full-face view (AA). Antennal scrobes, when present, shallow and not receiving entire scape (AA). Promesonotum not laterally marginate or spinose (BB). Monomorphic, except for one rare, minute species => 9

5. Petiolar node nearly always present and well developed (AA); if absent, then propodeum with spines or teeth (BB) => 10

6. Antennal club 3-segmented (AA), absent, or indistinct => 12

7. Frontal carinae ending far short of occipital margin, seldom surpassing the eye (AA) => 15

8. Eye present, often with 10 or more facets. Mandible subtriangular, with more than four teeth. Propodeum usually with teeth or spines (AA), sometimes just angulate at juncture of dorsal and posterior faces => 16

9. Eyes lacking erect hairs => 17

10. Dorsal surface of petiole node unarmed, without a pair of short spines or tubercles => 18

11. Mandible with six teeth (A). Usually, median portion of clypeus smooth and longitudinally excavate, lacking carinae centrally; several carinae usually present on lateral portions  => Leptothorax

All these are just copy pasted from the key sent but you can see the path I followed.

Edited by DDD101DDD, December 11 2020 - 11:02 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and TestSubjectOne like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#14 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 11 2020 - 11:10 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I followed the key you sent and it brought me to Leptothorax. I probably messed up somehow but this is what I went though.

2. Postpetiole attached to anterior face of following abdominal segment 4 (AA) and not capable of flexing upwards over dorsal surface of body. Petiole nearly always with distinct dorsal node (BB). If node absent (Xenomyrmex), petiole not strongly flattened => 3

3. With head in side view, lacking diagonal carina running from the mandible insertions to above the eye (AA), though longitudinal rugae may be present on sides and front of head. Antenna often with a 2- or 3-segmented club (BB). Head and body usually lacking tubercles, but spines or teeth may be present (CC) => 8

4. Frontal carinae not greatly expanded to cover the sides of the head in full-face view (AA). Antennal scrobes, when present, shallow and not receiving entire scape (AA). Promesonotum not laterally marginate or spinose (BB). Monomorphic, except for one rare, minute species => 9

5. Petiolar node nearly always present and well developed (AA); if absent, then propodeum with spines or teeth (BB) => 10

7. Frontal carinae ending far short of occipital margin, seldom surpassing the eye (AA) => 15

8. Eye present, often with 10 or more facets. Mandible subtriangular, with more than four teeth. Propodeum usually with teeth or spines (AA), sometimes just angulate at juncture of dorsal and posterior faces => 16

10. Dorsal surface of petiole node unarmed, without a pair of short spines or tubercles => 18

11. Mandible with six teeth (A). Usually, median portion of clypeus smooth and longitudinally excavate, lacking carinae centrally; several carinae usually present on lateral portions  => Leptothorax

All these are just copy pasted from the key sent but you can see the path I followed.

Wow, thanks for that effort.   Did you think there is NO carina in the medial position of the Clypeus (number 11.) also Number 7. regarding the frontal carinae not extending beyond the occipital margin? Yes or No

Edited by PurdueEntomology, December 11 2020 - 11:24 AM.

#15 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted December 11 2020 - 11:32 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Wow, thanks for that effort.   Did you think there is NO carina in the medial position of the Clypeus (number 11.) also Number 7. regarding the frontal carinae not extending beyond the occipital margin? Yes or No

Yes.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#16 Offline mmcguffi - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:01 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

You could also try asking myrmecology/entomology twitter (that is, if you have a twitter) -- I find that there are many more experts there in systematics than here (anecdotally, of course)

#17 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:06 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Because I have gone through two keys, the ones I posted with images above and I and a systematists here on campus,  we have gotten mixed outcomes, so I want to see if perhaps I am not seeing something that others are.

sorry for being a bit harsh its just it would help if you put an entire explination in the original post. Also, i didn't have my morning coffee

Edited by ZTYguy, December 11 2020 - 12:06 PM.

Currently Keeping:

#18 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:25 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

sorry for being a bit harsh its just it would help if you put an entire explination in the original post. Also, i didn't have my morning coffee

No worries!!! I understand, you are quite right I should have given more details to my query.  

#19 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:45 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I am confident it is Myrmica.

#20 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:47 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

You can tell that it's a Myrmica because of the way it is.

But really, Aphaenogaster apparently can have no fewer than 4 antennal club segments, or they may appear to have no club at all. Myrmica have a clear club, and your particular one looks like it has 3 club segments. Looking at the mesosoma, Aphaenogaster's will always be longer and thinner, and their mesonotum is very low, creating a steep depression that almost appears to separate the mesosoma into 2 distinct parts. The mesosoma of Myrmica and Tetramorium will look smaller and more compact. When looking at the eyes, a very distinct characteristic that Myrmica tends to have is that their eyes pop out very far from the sides of their head. Tetramorium or Aphaenogaster eyes don't look nearly as extreme; they are smaller and lay flatter against the surface of the head.

• AnthonyP163, Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users