• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Formicaria transfer.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steam_funk - Posted November 30 2020 - 7:23 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

Hello, It has been a while since I have last posted. I have a mature colony of Pheidole Obscurithorax that has at least 150 foraging workers and many majors, but it has had a slight decline from what I can only presume is mold. The setup is a large Ants Canada tower connected to a large Ants Australia outworld then separately connected to two new high tech ants medium formicaria. I dislike the Ants Canada tower as it has poor visibility and is in danger of breaking.

The Pheidole have shown little interest in the two formicaria after a considerable period of time. I have tried lowering the humidity of the tower and increasing the draftiness, but they have not shown much change. 

What would be some ways to encourage them to move or even force them? I would be willing to accept some considerable worker losses if it helps.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 30 2020 - 7:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You probably just need to dump them in that case.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline steam_funk - Posted November 30 2020 - 7:54 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

Are there any good guides or instructions for dumping?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2020 - 8:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Step 1: Open lid of formicarium to be dumped

Step 2:Hold formicarium over large, fluon coated outworld for desired formicarium.

Step 3: Invert to be dumped formicarium

Step 4: Hit the bottom of the dumped formicarium, sending it's contents into the desired formicarium

*Have an aspirator handy to suck up the inevitable escapees.

**With a dirt setup this will create a giant mess. Be sure to spread the dirt as thin as possible so they don't try to stay living in it.

• ANTdrew, DDD101DDD, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 1 2020 - 12:46 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Step 1: Open lid of formicarium to be dumped

Step 2:Hold formicarium over large, fluon coated outworld for desired formicarium.

Step 3: Invert to be dumped formicarium

Step 4: Hit the bottom of the dumped formicarium, sending it's contents into the desired formicarium

*Have an aspirator handy to suck up the inevitable escapees.

**With a dirt setup this will create a giant mess. Be sure to spread the dirt as thin as possible so they don't try to stay living in it.

that should be pinned! very helpful! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• NickAnter likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 1 2020 - 12:47 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

just shake them in. there is not much complex about it. the ants won't care after a little, once they find their formicarium.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 3 2020 - 4:36 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

They're are 2 main methods.

#1 Let them off easy. Tell them it wasn't anything personally and things just weren't working out.

#2 Be insulting: Say awful things that will hurt their feelings and make them leave.

Edited by M_Ants, December 3 2020 - 4:36 PM.

• ANTdrew, NickAnter, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#8 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 3 2020 - 7:55 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

They're are 2 main methods.

#1 Let them off easy. Tell them it wasn't anything personally and things just weren't working out.

#2 Be insulting: Say awful things that will hurt their feelings and make them leave.

wow tysm! so...er...helpful? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Ants_Dakota likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#9 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 4 2020 - 7:47 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

A new thing I learned is that citrus triggers a thing in ants to make them evacuate, so a couple drops of the good stuff could work.

We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users