• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New formicarium for MMM? Need some feedback!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted December 4 2020 - 5:56 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Hi all!

Devi here pitching a new idea I had.  I was thinking of developing more formicaria, just brainstorming about ideas, and I had an idea that could possibly be pretty cool, or not well received.  I So, here is what I am thinking.  Something very, very customizable, with different options for what different species need, and for what different people desire.  I am thinking of a high quality clear acrylic or plasting container that is cylindrical.  This container would have an air-tight lid so no ants could breach the lid.  That being said, there would also be a ventilation duct, with mesh for quality air-flow for your ants.  This would be a formicarium that has both the nest aspect, as well as an outworld, a 2 in 1, which helps keep price low, while still having quality compact formicariums.  There would be two holes drilled in the side of the formicarium, with the options of having something similar to a nestmate, so there could be a quality water source for your ants, or a spot to put vinyl tubing in to connect these with other formicariums of the same type.  I think two of these connected could look quite cool!  Now here is where this formicarium is special, and this is what sets them apart from others.  This part will be entirely customizable.   This would be a sandy formicarium,  with sand as the only substrate.  I would have multiple options, most being fine-grain.  I would have red/orange sand as one option, beach/ocean sand, (so like whitish sand) and then a coarser sand, with bigger grains, and this one being multi-colored, and very natural.  I would also have different options for outworld decor, such as mountain, beach, forest, desert, stuff like that.  For example, mountain might be a few darker rocks, a small branch or stick, and possible a branch similar to a evergreen or pine tree.  This might go well with the coarse sand for instance, or maybe the beach sand.  

PROS:

-Simulates a natural habitat.  Queens can dig founding chambers, and colonies can decide where they want to make tunnels.

-The look is very clean.  It would look very good on an ant shelf, and would look quite clean.

-Very customizable.  Whatever look you want to create, it is my goal to make those options be availible, and also easy to navigate.

-Modular.  This formicarium line would be easy to connect to other outworlds, nests, and formicariums from this same line. 

CONS:

-Hard to see your ants.  Except ants that are on the surface foraging, you would rarely see your ants nest.  Unless they nested on the side I suppose.

-Hard to maintain humidity.  With this setup, you would most likely have to mist it, and use something similar to nestmates.   

What are all of your thoughts?  Any suggestions, changes, etc?  I would love to hear feedback.  Thanks so much guys!

-Devi, with MMM

• TennesseeAnts, B_rad0806 and Ants_Dakota like this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 4 2020 - 8:29 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I would make a hydration chamber for it. Maybe something similar to a "water tower"? I don't know how, but I'm sure you'd figure that out.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 5 2020 - 4:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I would make a hydration chamber for it. Maybe something similar to a "water tower"? I don't know how, but I'm sure you'd figure that out.

I agree. Also, how will you prevent tunnel collapses with pure sand?
  • TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 5 2020 - 3:05 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

You should add a botttom hydration area and you just refill it everyweek to water the hydrostone from the bottom.

• DDD101DDD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users