• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex rugosus Journal [113] (Discontinued 12-14-2021)

dspdrew pogonomyrmex rugosus journal

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 10 2014 - 7:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 9-10-2014

My original colony from last year has had slow but steady growth. It's hard to see them because they have covered their test tube with dirt, but there are at least 80 workers now. Also, the workers are almost full-sized too.

med_gallery_2_120_21814.jpg

med_gallery_2_120_596053.jpg

med_gallery_2_120_255099.jpg

med_gallery_2_120_493653.jpg

All my new colonies now have one to four workers. Almost all the queens that never produced eventually died. I had one queen die and leave a worker and some brood behind, so I put the one last non-producing queen in her test tube. The worker and her fought for about a day, but are now getting along just fine. I'll keep watching this colony to see if this queen ever starts producing her own brood.

#42 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 10 2014 - 8:04 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice! I hope mine last that long...

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2014 - 4:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-17-2014

I lost track of the queen that wasn't producing, so I have no idea if that ever changed.

I moved the two best new colonies into foraging containers with a layer of sand in the bottom. I'll be curious to see if they do any better than the others.

Pogonomyrmex rugosus feeding larvae ByFormica Formula Blue

#44 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 26 2014 - 10:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-26-2014

My main colony is growing pretty fast still. They're now up to about 125 workers. I just flipped their old dried up test tube over so I could see everything inside it, count the brood, and make sure the queen's okay. I counted about 75 larvae and pupae, and saw a new pile of eggs.

One of the new colonies I moved into foraging containers two weeks ago I actually got to accept a P. subnitidus pupa, which I've never been able to do before. They've been taking good care of it for the last week and a half, and I can see its eyes have darkened, so it shouldn't be too long before it ecloses. It'll be interesting to see if they all get along.

#45 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 27 2014 - 7:42 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

One of the new colonies I moved into foraging containers two weeks ago I actually got to accept a P. subnitidus pupa, which I've never been able to do before. They've been taking good care of it for the last week and a half, and I can see its eyes have darkened, so it shouldn't be too long before it ecloses. It'll be interesting to see if they all get along.

Do keep us posted. I was wondering if I could boost among closely related species, but have never tried it.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#46 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 27 2014 - 9:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Some genera are no problem, and others are. Right now I have two P. rugosus workers living with my new P. tenuispinus colony, but they are in the same subgenus. P. rugosus and P. subnitidus are not in the same subgenera, so they are not as closely related.

#47 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 20 2014 - 11:33 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 12-20-2014

First of all, the P. subnitidus pupae that was accepted by one of these colonies eclosed, it was killed a week or two later.

Right now I have one of the newer colonies in a foraging container, and they only have five workers.

I just recently moved another one of the newer colonies into a ByFormica GroTube to try it out. I filled it with sand and let them dig it the way they want.

med_gallery_2_120_150798.jpg

med_gallery_2_120_152078.jpg

med_gallery_2_120_1091763.jpg

My older larger colony is doing fine, with about the same amount of workers they had on the last update--125 or so. They're producing some very large workers now.

#48 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 20 2014 - 12:28 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Your colonies from this year have 5 workers already?! My two remaining fertile queens, one with mites, never lay any eggs any more... :( They are all stuck at either one worker, or no workers...

#49 Offline Chromerust - Posted December 21 2014 - 3:18 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
One of mine has over 40 and another has about 30. A couple others have 10-20. That may sound impressive but I started with 25 queens and these were the only really good ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#50 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 21 2014 - 3:24 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I started with like 27, and most of them turned out to be infertile...

#51 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 21 2014 - 4:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

One of mine has over 40 and another has about 30. A couple others have 10-20. That may sound impressive but I started with 25 queens and these were the only really good ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WTF. :lol: Five is the most any of my new colonies have.

#52 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 21 2014 - 4:35 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, what is your secret???

#53 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 27 2014 - 9:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-27-2014

A few days ago my largest colony got their first female alate.

#54 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 27 2014 - 10:11 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

My older larger colony is doing fine, with about the same amount of workers they had on the last update--125 or so. 

How do you accurately count workers when you have a lot of them?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#55 Offline dean_k - Posted December 27 2014 - 12:02 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

My older larger colony is doing fine, with about the same amount of workers they had on the last update--125 or so. 

How do you accurately count workers when you have a lot of them?

You take a picture of a colony with all ants in it and count. :)

#56 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 27 2014 - 12:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Aside from taking a picture, sometimes even while they are running around, you can get an idea of how many are in a given area, and almost remember how many were there as they're running around, and end up with a pretty accurate count. It's almost like taking a mental snapshot. I've counted workers multiple times and still have come up with the same amount each time doing it this way.

#57 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2015 - 7:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Since Dean wanted to see this, here it is.

This is what happens when you keep Pogonomyrmex test tubes in the light.

med_gallery_2_137_342607.jpg

There used to be a lot more than this, but I didn't take a picture until now, after some of the sprouts have died.
  • dean_k likes this

#58 Offline dean_k - Posted January 17 2015 - 8:24 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the photo.

#59 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 22 2015 - 11:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 1-22-2015

A few days ago I moved the largest colony into one of my antfarm-style formicariums. This time before pouring the wet dirt/sand in, I lined the inside of the sides with some thin plastic sheets that I pulled out once dried. This actually kept the muddy water from drying on the sides and leaving the film that makes it so difficult to see through. To make sure the substrate stays in place, I roughed up the inside walls.

I poured them all in, and they started digging immediately. After just a couple hours they had enough of their nest excavated to allow the majority of the colony to move in. At first the view was very clear and looked great, but then as Pogonomyrmex always do, they stuck dirt all over the sides anyways obstructing the view after all.

med_gallery_2_120_78414.jpg

med_gallery_2_120_582151.jpg

med_gallery_2_120_552431.jpg

it looks like about 15 or so workers have died since moving them in. I'm not sure why they died, and I hope this doesn't continue.

#60 Offline Chromerust - Posted January 23 2015 - 12:28 AM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
That's a really cool setup, I like it a lot!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, pogonomyrmex rugosus, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users