• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worst invasive ant species

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted November 22 2020 - 9:24 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

In your opinion, what is the worst invasive ant species?

To clarify I don't mean which species has been the most *successful* at establishing itself in different countries, since that is already measurable.

But instead what invasive around the world do you think has the worst effect on native ant species, the environment, and even on humans?

#2 Offline M_Ants - Posted November 22 2020 - 9:28 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

ARGENTINES!!!!!!

Idk though I just hate them. 

• Swirlysnowflake, ArmyAntz and TechAnt like this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 22 2020 - 9:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’d say Argentines are the most destructive ecologically.
  • ArmyAntz and TechAnt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline TechAnt - Posted November 22 2020 - 9:39 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Argentines. 100%

There would be tons of native ants around if it weren’t for Argentines. They also are just annoying and literally have nothing special about them besides the fact that they are polygonus and grow insanely quickly.

Edited by TechAnt, November 22 2020 - 9:40 AM.

• ArmyAntz likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#5 Offline TheIndianMafia - Posted November 22 2020 - 9:56 AM

TheIndianMafia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Though Argentine ants displace and crush ecosystems, I do beive that Monomorium Pharonis is on par with the Argentines. Considering how adaptive they are to the ecosystems they inhabit, they have nearly taken over all states, countries and provinces. Ranging from southern Austrailia to Brittish Columbia. Generally speaking since the Pharo ant inhabit more territory than the Argentines, therefore have more opportunities to displace native fauna than the Argentines. Both are undoubtedly some of if not the worst and most dangerous tramp species.

• ArmyAntz and TestSubjectOne like this

#6 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 22 2020 - 10:07 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

ARGENTINES!!!!!! They suck.

• ArmyAntz likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 22 2020 - 10:13 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
RIFA are probably more destructive for humans, due to stinging, and damaging crops.
  • AnthonyP163 and ArmyAntz like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted November 22 2020 - 10:36 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Though Argentine ants displace and crush ecosystems, I do beive that Monomorium Pharonis is on par with the Argentines. Considering how adaptive they are to the ecosystems they inhabit, they have nearly taken over all states, countries and provinces. Ranging from southern Austrailia to Brittish Columbia. Generally speaking since the Pharo ant inhabit more territory than the Argentines, therefore have more opportunities to displace native fauna than the Argentines. Both are undoubtedly some of if not the worst and most dangerous tramp species.

I found this species on antmaps and it shows they are indoor introduced in almost all temperate countries. I'm guessing this only means they thrive in heated structures? Or does it mean they're found both indoors and outdoors?

Edited by ArmyAntz, November 22 2020 - 10:37 AM.

#9 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 22 2020 - 10:40 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Argentines are everywhere. I have no yard because of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#10 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted November 22 2020 - 10:46 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Argentines are everywhere. I have no yard because of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen a single Argentine before, I guess I should be grateful for that :D​ 

#11 Offline TheIndianMafia - Posted November 22 2020 - 11:06 AM

TheIndianMafia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

I found this species on antmaps and it shows they are indoor introduced in almost all temperate countries. I'm guessing this only means they thrive in heated structures? Or does it mean they're found both indoors and outdoors?

Indoor introduced happens by human activity, directly or indirectly. Let's say Johnny came back from his trip to Africa to his hometown of Texas and brought back a few plants. Little to his knowledge, accidentally carried over pharo ants through those plants and places his plants in the living room of his house. They move out and colonize themselves inside their house. Now the pharo ants could do 2 things, become a supercolony, or stay unrelated and spread their genes. If the second option is chosen, the next generation is much more adapted to the climates over in x region. colony z branches out from its family  and does one of 3 things, becomes a supercolony, stays within the warm house, or move outside. Next generation is more adapted to so and so place, I think you get the point. "Indoor introduced" gets thrown around less frequently than "exotic" as its not a "WOAH! I never knew this species could be found,

i wonder how it got here." as its more of "oh a human was responsible for this". Two great examples of this are hyponera punctatissima and brachyponera chinensis.

• TennesseeAnts and ArmyAntz like this

#12 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 22 2020 - 11:22 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

For Colorado definitely Tetras

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 22 2020 - 11:29 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Lol all you cali kids aint seen the horrors of an invicta invasion yet. They sting everything in sight, tend aphids to destroy crops and make a mess of yards with their huge mounds. People can catch hundreds in a single day, and they fly all year which makes the situation worse. They will kill all native ants and displace other animals like birds, reptiles and small mammals. They don't need supercolonies to be successful, as their queens will get thousands of workers in a few months and alates within a year. F*ck them.

Edited by Manitobant, November 22 2020 - 11:30 AM.

• ArmyAntz, MinigunL5 and TestSubjectOne like this

#14 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted November 22 2020 - 11:38 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests
Argentines and Solenopsis Invicta.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lol all you cali kids aint seen the horrors of an invicta invasion yet. They sting everything in sight, tend aphids to destroy crops and make a mess of yards with their huge mounds. People can catch hundreds in a single day, and they fly all year which makes the situation worse. They will kill all native ants and displace other animals like birds, reptiles and small mammals. They don't need supercolonies to be successful, as their queens will get thousands of workers in a few months and alates within a year. F*ck them.

Invicta is everywhere over here, horrible species.

#15 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 22 2020 - 12:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Argentines and Solenopsis Invicta.

Invicta is everywhere over here, horrible species.
well it isn't quite texas or florida level yet. There they prove themselves to be so much worse.
  • MinigunL5 likes this

#16 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted November 22 2020 - 1:21 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Indoor introduced happens by human activity, directly or indirectly. Let's say Johnny came back from his trip to Africa to his hometown of Texas and brought back a few plants. Little to his knowledge, accidentally carried over pharo ants through those plants and places his plants in the living room of his house. They move out and colonize themselves inside their house. Now the pharo ants could do 2 things, become a supercolony, or stay unrelated and spread their genes. If the second option is chosen, the next generation is much more adapted to the climates over in x region. colony z branches out from its family  and does one of 3 things, becomes a supercolony, stays within the warm house, or move outside. Next generation is more adapted to so and so place, I think you get the point. "Indoor introduced" gets thrown around less frequently than "exotic" as its not a "WOAH! I never knew this species could be found,

i wonder how it got here." as its more of "oh a human was responsible for this". Two great examples of this are hyponera punctatissima and brachyponera chinensis.

Yeah that makes more sense, it would explain why they're recorded way up in north Norway and Canada too, considering they come from the tropics.

#17 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 22 2020 - 3:45 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Solenopsis invicta is FAR worse than Linepithema humile. S. invicta wipe out not only local ant species, but also all ground-nesting animals in the area including lizards, amphibians, and mammals. They also cause over 2 billion dollars in damages in the US alone EVERY YEAR. They even can hospitalize or kill humans who are allergic to their venom. The only weakness of S. invicta is their need for a warm, wet climate, meaning so far in the US, only the southeast and parts of the populated southwest have been affected by them.

For reference, Formica subsericea and Solenopsis xyloni used to be native to Florida, and due to S. invicta neither have been found in FL since 1991. S. xyloni has been entirely wiped out from anywhere that has S. invicta, and on top of that the US. native S. geminata have been entirely wiped out apart from a few isolated populations in Florida.

L. humile does damage native species, but so far are mostly limited to human-populated areas in the west, and are just as limited by the cold as S. invicta. Even the L. humile populations in the Southeast are negligible compared to S. invicta, and even get bullied and driven out by them. The only reason why this doesn't happen in the west is because S. invicta was established after L. humile, and also is far less tolerant of the dry climate there.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Manitobant and 4 others like this

#18 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 22 2020 - 3:56 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

RIFA, no competition there. Most widespread, most destructive, most annoying, most economically disruptive.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#19 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 22 2020 - 4:40 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Don't forget there's also a polygynous population of S. invicta and they might be adapting to colder temperatures.

Edited by DDD101DDD, November 22 2020 - 6:05 PM.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#20 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted November 22 2020 - 5:39 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California
Argies and invicta obviously

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users