• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kit’s Novomessor cockerelli journal. (Updated March 12)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted November 19 2020 - 2:05 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Oh firebrick, very nice nest

• B_rad0806 likes this

#22 Offline AleeGuy - Posted November 19 2020 - 2:43 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
They look so big. How many times they are bigger than average aphaenogaster?

Edited by AleeGuy, November 19 2020 - 2:47 PM.

#23 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 19 2020 - 4:10 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Because to make a grout nest one needs clay large amounts of clay actually, a molding chamber to form the nest and a lot of grout. And firebrick is easily carveable and novomessor like it.

I got a ton of clay that I got from Hobby Lobby. Also with a grout nest you can cast it in a container and use that container as the screen.

Edited by MinigunL5, November 19 2020 - 4:12 PM.

#24 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 19 2020 - 7:49 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

They look so big. How many times they are bigger than average aphaenogaster?

twice as long, and way taller and leggier. Novomessor nanitics are larger than the largest NA Aphaenogaster workers get.

• MinigunL5 and AleeGuy like this

#25 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 20 2020 - 6:14 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

let me just add that sanded grout is not a good moisture holder. unsanded grout is.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#26 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 20 2020 - 6:29 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

What i meant by sanded grout was like tarheelant nests, i added sand so they would be comfortable.

We don’t talk about that

#27 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 20 2020 - 6:29 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

let me just add that sanded grout is not a good moisture holder. unsanded grout is.

I was thinking about that actually. I had always heard that you shouldn't use sanded grout for nests.

Edited by Kaelwizard, November 20 2020 - 7:07 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#28 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 20 2020 - 7:07 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

What i meant by sanded grout was like tarheelant nests, i added sand so they would be comfortable.

Ooooh. I see. Technically there is a type of grout called sanded grout so that is why we were confused. I would hope that the grout you used was unsanded though?

#29 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 20 2020 - 7:11 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

It was a little sanded but was all I have, but its not as sanded as you think and if I was able to show you a picture you would be able to tell, I don't even know why they put sanded on the bag to be honest.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#30 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 20 2020 - 7:16 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

but trust me i have used this grout for other nests before and the water seeps in quickly and actually distributes it very nicely. this grout also can hold small or big drops of water for days if left in the right conditions.

We don’t talk about that

#31 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 20 2020 - 7:50 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

but trust me i have used this grout for other nests before and the water seeps in quickly and actually distributes it very nicely. this grout also can hold small or big drops of water for days if left in the right conditions.

ok, that is good.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#32 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 20 2020 - 9:26 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
(Update Nov 20)
Novomessor cockerelli
Just stuck these in a test tube insert with around 3 seeds a young cricket and some honey. I recovered from their old test tube that they had about 4 larvae 6 pupae and a couple eggs. They are on a heating mat and a heat lamp on on side heating the cover that’s on them. They are so big and cool looking and one of the workers must have woken up during shipping and was a little early waking up so she keeps taking naps but she should harden up soon. One of the pupae as soon as I put it on the heat last night went from orange brown to brown and another went from white to orange. These guys really like heat and I may get them some apples or grapes soon since they love sugary foods.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

#33 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 20 2020 - 10:04 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
EF4E0499-1A23-448D-976E-54A1ABEE356E.jpeg 3B1D3E0D-CF3E-4129-AA9B-311B2B92AD25.jpeg 80F6C2A5-D15A-4EE1-993E-BE5DD40AF774.jpeg
  • AnthonyP163 and CheetoLord02 like this
We don’t talk about that

#34 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 23 2020 - 5:07 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Turns out this queen is a killer of newly born novomessor nanitics, each time though i'm pretty sure the nanitic woke up to early, one is waking up now and is really dark "maybe this one will be useful" the queen says. I talked to mack last night and he said my order shipped out and should be here tomorrow. there new home will be a fully heated ytong mini hearth with a top expansion.  

We don’t talk about that

#35 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 23 2020 - 6:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

that is a pretty small colony, though. i would keep them in a test tube for a while.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#36 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 23 2020 - 7:16 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

They are big ants, you would agree with me putting them in a mini hearth if you saw the queen. there are kinda like pogonomyrmex in terms of tarheelants nests but way bigger. 

We don’t talk about that

#37 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 23 2020 - 7:31 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

They are big ants, you would agree with me putting them in a mini hearth if you saw the queen. there are kinda like pogonomyrmex in terms of tarheelants nests but way bigger. 

a few workers seems a bit too small of a number for a formicarium yet, but it is your choice.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#38 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 23 2020 - 7:37 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

This species is actually like pogonomyrmex where a founding chamber would either be a mini hearth or test tube insert, also these ants love firebrick/ytong nests which is what my nest I'm putting them into is so they should love it and it will be full heated.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#39 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 23 2020 - 1:07 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Mini hearths also function as founding formicaria for a lot of large species so it should be perfectly fine.

#40 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 24 2020 - 5:45 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

November 24,

I received my THA order yesterday instead of today and I gotta tell you something, buy yourself a mini hearth type one with a top expansion! it is so useful, the top expansion has plaster/grout/hydrostone? in it and it is very nice the water tower set up is grouted around and sanded, plus it reminds me of something like a fortress or a type one casita because of how the water tower is in a pushed back cave like setting. I recommend one of these for camponotus and dryer species such as novomessor but not for humid loving species. the only downfall is that there is one connecting port... only one so no nestmate if you ants need to forage. I moved my novomessor queen in and she has two spots she loves, right on the top expansion or right on the heat so i placed my heating mat sideways and stuck the nest to it she also has laid about 20 eggs so she deserved some cricket parts. shortly I'm going to check on her. I also got my fortress in which looks very nice, a inception chamber, and a mini hearth with speciality features. I won't be updating like I have done for the past week anymore unless something exciting happens, so goodbye everyone and also there are sadly no pics because i couldn't get any good ones yet.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users