• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ZTY's Acromyrmex versicolor Journal *Sep 4

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#161 Online ZTYguy - Posted July 11 2021 - 6:52 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Hello. The fungus is doing great and growing rapidly. Photos coming soon.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#162 Online ZTYguy - Posted July 11 2021 - 2:42 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Pics. More coming in next update.

Attached Images

• EE9A5588-4CD0-4B3F-929B-7154C573AA46.jpeg
  • AA850D9D-FB0D-4799-B5D4-CBED0D535015.jpeg

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#163 Online ZTYguy - Posted July 17 2021 - 9:03 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Quick update: Worker explosion. There are over 70 workers now and the fungus is so big now. They are starting to grow it on the top and are super active. I’m so excited for this and hopefully I will be able to get some good photos. 

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, mantisgal and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

#164 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 20 2021 - 9:06 AM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, England
I suspect they will happily enjoy your care and as long you don't interfere with them (too much :P ) they will thrive to incredible numbers, maybe even a solid million. Good luck finding majors too.
  • ZTYguy likes this

#165 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 20 2021 - 1:51 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I suspect they will happily enjoy your care and as long you don't interfere with them (too much :P ) they will thrive to incredible numbers, maybe even a solid million. Good luck finding majors too.

One million workers is feasible for an Atta species, Acromyrmex versicolor only get into the tens of thousands. Also they don't really get majors like what you are thinking of, they are more of just larger polymorphic workers.

• CheetoLord02 and ZTYguy like this

#166 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 21 2021 - 3:22 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

The first post about your Acromyrmex and the pic gives me a lot of nostalgia to when I had my first Acromyrmex colony.

• ZTYguy likes this

#167 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 2 2021 - 12:15 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
I will be receiving 15+ queens in a few days and on Sunday I will be going to a spot to collect foraging queens and I will give them fungus. I will also be making a fungus farm that I will show you in a few days.
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this

Currently Keeping:

#168 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 2 2021 - 1:54 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I will be receiving 15+ queens in a few days and on Sunday I will be going to a spot to collect foraging queens and I will give them fungus. I will also be making a fungus farm that I will show you in a few days.

Who did you buy the queens from if you don’t mind me asking?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#169 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 2 2021 - 4:50 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Dm me on discord @AntsSoCal#7219
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#170 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 3 2021 - 8:50 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
First shipment arrived today. I’ll update once I get them into something.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#171 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 3 2021 - 9:33 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

First shipment is 15 queens which I just dumped into a Petri dish connected to a container of roses and gave them some fungus to start off with. Excited for the next shipment. Photos coming after I eat dinner...

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#172 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 4 2021 - 9:30 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Well definitely just finished dinner. Anyways here you go.

Attached Images

• A9CAA511-89BB-4436-AF0E-D50B8860A8B7.jpeg

Edited by ZTYguy, August 4 2021 - 9:30 AM.

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and eea like this

Currently Keeping:

#173 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 8 2021 - 9:23 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

This is my accurate representation of both colonies right now. 
https://www.google.c...0YYMHeBZuc7SOmz

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#174 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 10 2021 - 3:00 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Update: Both colonies (main colony & 15 queen founding colony) are doing great. I added 3 workers to the founding colony to help them along and they excepted them. The fungus in both colonies are getting bigger and the brood piles in both colonies are getting larger. The next gen in the large colony I project to be about 60-80 workers. The brood pile is just insane. Anyways I am also getting my second shipment tomorrow so I’m excited. I made some founding formicaria for them and I’ll hopefully get some more colonies going. ZTY out

Attached Images

• 23E42DB3-3C83-4E2C-A090-8934AC692B46.jpeg
  • 60411044-D084-4DD2-A39F-6ADE5EFEB59F.jpeg
  • 6808C04E-BB58-4A13-AB95-927EB005BE87.jpeg
  • EAFC9C6E-34F3-4FA1-8740-2AB10D08B5CD.jpeg

• BADANT, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this

Currently Keeping:

#175 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 16 2021 - 4:21 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Made all founding queens final setups and my large founding colony is taking off now.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• B_rad0806, BADANT, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

Currently Keeping:

#176 Online ZTYguy - Posted August 25 2021 - 3:06 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Random update but umm.......I just learned on accident that Acromyrmex go crazy for goldfish. Will be purchasing more fluon on a side note.

Edited by ZTYguy, August 25 2021 - 3:06 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#177 Online ZTYguy - Posted September 18 2021 - 7:52 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Hello, so far they are doing great. The fungus is about the size of two golf balls and I estimate about 150-200 workers are present in this colony. They continue to cover the lid of the nest box so visibility will be a major issue but luckily the queen’s chamber is nestled right up against the glass so I can see the two royals highnesses anytime. The brood piles are so big now that it spills over every other day. Yesterday I saw a worker fidgeting with the pile and trying to prevent spillage. Here are some photos I’ve taken since the las5 update in no particular order...

Attached Images

• EAE07767-445A-428D-813E-01909B2E3690.jpeg
  • 777A3C6C-139E-4AA5-A78B-205B27FBBE6E.jpeg
  • DAABF213-6D6E-4377-BDA1-2AEDA3A42F36.jpeg
  • 05612C15-4DFB-482D-A6C4-68079D08880B.jpeg

• ANTdrew, BADANT, TacticalHandleGaming and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

#178 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 19 2021 - 2:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow!
  • ZTYguy likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#179 Online ZTYguy - Posted October 9 2021 - 9:00 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Update: Not much has changed. I have uploaded a few videos on Tiktok about these guys under the name SoCalExotics10. The fungus has grown in slight amounts but the worker count is probably at about 250-300 workers.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#180 Offline Max_Connor - Posted October 25 2021 - 8:15 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Is there any info on what species this fungus is and how it affects organisms? Can they grow it to a size of a fungus forest when they reach thousands?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users